General Dance Discussion > What do you do in the first lesson?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 11, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I vividly remember my first dance lesson. Lots of stress, lots of sweat, and the slow-slow-quick-quick of a foxtrot basic. :D Fond memories. :lol: 8)

What does any of you remember about your first lesson? Teachers, what do you try to accomplish on your first lesson?

2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

:D I was so happy and excited, I couldn't stop giggling. I knew and was singing all the salsa songs but spoke very little spanish. People would come up to me and start speaking spanish and would I would say "oh, sorry I don't speak spanish." :shock: :D I'd get these perplexed looks and we'd both start giggling. It was a great experience not to mention a nice ice breaker.

3. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I remember my first training session, I was nervous also. My main goal for the first lesson is to get the student comfortable, acclimated to other students and teachers and to get them moving. I let them get to know me. (keep in mind this is with a new student in an introductory special so I'm not wasting $80/hr just talking/introducing)

4. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

My first social dance lesson was AWESOME!!!! I walked in to find this gentelman who is just hilarious!!! I had NO clue what to do, so we walked through the basics of a few dances...I don't even recall which ones. I think perhaps a basic waltz, a Latin dance, and swing. My first lesson was more of a "try and buy" to see if I liked it. If so, I could sign up for more lessons. I did and I did.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Great! Welcome to the club. It's always nice to have some fun in your lessons. One of my many dances teachers is a stand-up comic, and boy, does that help break the tension and sometimes, ease the frustration of learning something new. :D Enjoy.