Dancers Anonymous > What do you do when you're not dancing?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Sep 19, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey guys, what cool, weird, educational or exciting hobbies do you participate in .... on the rare occasion you're not dancing? :D

2. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Not dancing.... :? :?: :? ...what's that?

3. dancersdreamland

Duh...I'm on this site. :wink:

4. pygmalion

Yeah. Forums-watching has become a major pastime for me. When I'm not doing that, I play violin, do lots of physical fitness stuff, cook, read, collect various things, and do volunteer work. Strangely enough, despite other appearances, I have a life.

Anybody else?

5. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say I have a life...

Am I the only one here who only dances maybe once a week? School keeps me very busy, however, my pre-grad school hobbies include.

Puppetry (not a hobby... even according to the IRS, more like a passion that I worked for throughout undergrad and miss terribly now)

Stilt-walking, ceramics/pottery, Tai Chi, I'm a bit of a Buster Keaton Buff, drum making (I haven't developed this one as much as I would like), basic wood working, Sculpting, Drawing, Painting and Dancing.

I feel like I'm leaving something out... but I can't recall what-- eh, oh well.

6. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Tennis and Bowling are my non-dancing loves!

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm, I'm in grad school full time working on my Ph.D., so I guess researching and writing my dissertation should be on my list. I spend time at the gym (so that I'm in good shape to dance of course). I do ballroom photography. I work as a Teaching Assistant at UCSD (20 hours/week). I watch too much TV (mostly between 1-3am, while I'm representing for the I-R-U club)....

8. pygmalion

Yes, writing should be on your list. The question is, is it? Hmm. Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:

9. pygmalion

How can you say you don't have a life. Holy cow! Stilt-walking? Definitely counts as having a life. :D

10. dancersdreamland

I agree...stilt walking definately counts a living!

Hmm...outside of dance, I guess I mostly work and hang out with my fiance and new kitten. I think perhaps I'm the one without the life. Everything revolves around dance:

Reading (alway dance publications and books)
    Writing (haven't in a while, but lately it all relates to dance things)
    Researching (dance stuff for the website)
    Website (entirely dance related)
    Class (three nights a week...all dance)
    Want to go back to school (for my bachelor's in business administration with a minor in dance in the hopes of opening my own studio some day)
    Work...this is perhaps the only non-dance thing I do. My life is very sad. :cry:

Ooh....a non-dance activity...planning my wedding! :D

Perhaps I should look for some new hobbies. :?

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yes and no.

I'm actually wrapping up my primary fieldwork and research phase this fall so, while I have done some writing so far (mostly an outline plus an extended version, ~60 pages with some prose and a lot of citations filled in) my write up phase doesn't officially commence until winter.

12. pygmalion

I know some people who've been in the writing phase for YEARS. I also know some people who've had it wrapped up in months. I guess it's a personality thing. You seem like a go-getter type, so I'm sure you'll do just fine. :D

13. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

sleeping, swimming, shopping, watching the tube, did I already mention sleeping..?

14. dancersdreamland

Ooh...shopping! I completely forgot to mention shopping! That is definatley a hobby of mine as well! :D

15. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I also like eating. 8)

16. pygmalion

Ah yes! Eating -- one of my favorite pastimes! :lol:

17. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

This Owl swoops down on unsuspecting mice and rabbits and hoots all night keeping people awake. :D

No, seriously, my other pet passions include:

Walking

occasional photography

Bicycling

Music production/recording and performance (once I've relocated to Atlanta, I'll be resuming work on my next CD. I put one out last year called "Tales From The Inflatable Forest", an all instrumental progressive rock outing. I play guitar, bass and a tiny bit of keyboards (though I won't give Chick Corea or Rick Wakeman sleepless nights anytime soon)

18. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

Things that I used to do before the era of dancing and the forum:

reading
    movies, especially foreign films
    yoga
    meditation
    hiking or walking by the beach
    running/gym
    hanging out with good friends and company
    "trying" to be a gourmet cook
    drawing
    tennis

Hmmm....i guess i used to have another life.... :shock: :? :lol:

19. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

Snowboarding!!!
    Any boarders out there??? :roll:

20. dancersdreamland

Eating...yes, a definite must...especially ice cream...my excuse: it helps prevent osteoporosis (I know that's spelt wrong :? ) :wink:

Snowboarding...never tried, but I do enjoy cross country skiing.