Dancers Anonymous > What do you do when you're not dancing?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

That's one of those things concerns me... sure you can figure out how much calcium you eat... but how much do you absorb??? One can never really tell. This occured to me after reading that taking dietary supplements may not be as effective as people may think... that your body is used to processing and absorbing the nutrients from food and not pills and that calcium is particularly sensative to this. So taking the supplements with a meals helps this... supposedly... I had a moment of severe calcium paranoia :shock: but then I just decided to do my best and not freak out about it. alas.

Cuz let's face it, if you fall you don't want to break a bone, and if you break a bone you want it to heal!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. I heard the same thing about calcium, so changed the way I take my supplements, plus added some calcium -enriched foods throughout the day.

You know what helps prevent bone loss? Weight-lifting, or other "weight-bearing exercise." Just some food for thought. :)

3. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I'll have to try to incorporate more of that... ahhh... time for class gotta run...

4. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Hmmm...good to know.

I'm pretty light weight (actually, very small and scrawny) and I am CONSTANTLY eating ice cream. I usually get a hard time about all the frozen treat I eat...

"You're always eating ice cream and never gain a pound." "How can you eat all that?" "What! Ice cream for lunch?"

Seriously, I'm always being nagged by HOW MUCH ice cream I eat. One day I saw a commercial about milk and it helping prevent osteoporosis. I figured since there's milk in ice cream, it would be a good excuse to ice cream and a nice change of answers to the hords of quetions I usually receive.

:D :wink:

5. pygmalion

Hey! Any excuse'll do. Just kidding! :D Eat all the ice cream you want!

Not only that, they're just jealous! They wish they could be eating ice cream too. :lol: It's probably because of all that dancing -- your metabolism is on hyper drive. You could eat a whole cow, if you were so inclined, and still not gain a pound. Excellent! :D

6. dancersdreamland

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Speaking of which...am I the only vegetarian here? Just curious.

8. pygmalion

I considered vegetarianism briefly, until the holistic nutritionist I was talking to mentioned algae. Eating algae? ! :shock: Then I went out and got a BIG steak. :lol:

Sorry. :cry: :oops: :lol:

9. dancersdreamland

I'm not a true vegetarian...it goes it spurts and this is going to sound very weird, so please no one take offense.

In general, I can't eat chicken if it has skin or is on the bone...it has to be boneless, skinless, white meat. I usually have issues eating beef (except steak) and rather LOVE ribs. Like I said, it really doesn't make sense.

I guess it really depends on my mood and if I've seen the animal within the last few hours. If I see an animal or think about the animal when I'm eating I just can't do it.

It's completely a mental issue. :? :oops:

10. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

That's funny dd... an inconsistant moral issue?

Another question, what about vegatarians (other than for health reasons) who eat fish??? What's up with that? Aren't fish made out of meat as well? :shrug:

I strive for moderation. I haven't had steak in years, I have a burger occasionally (I'm a social burger user-- I tend to never get one if I'm by myself) and if there is a chicken alternative I'll take it and if there is satiable vegitarian alternative I'd take that (I'm not really into 'a salad for lunch').

I rarely seek out meat but I don't go through great pains to avoid it-- it feels nice and healthy this way and it works for me.

11. SDsalsaguy

Depends on their reasons for being a vegetarian. Many of the moral and environmental concerns that apply to land animals and poultry are not applicable to seafood.

12. pygmalion

And nutritional concerns, too, right SD? Meaning fish has all kinds of good fatty acids that meat doesn't. It's also lower in saturated fats and calories, and overall quite good for you. Meat, especially red meat, has the protein, but comes with lots of dietary down sides. Right??? :?

Don't take this to mean that I'm going to change my ways, though. I'm a carnivore to the core. :twisted: :lol:

13. SDsalsaguy

All quite true Jenn...but Swing Kitten's question had said "other than for health reasons." :wink:

14. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Alright I see the overall evironmental side... and that people are causing there to be a disproportionately large number of cows in the world which is not to hot for the overall ecosystem.

15. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

Again, that would be an inconsistency on the moral issue if that is the reason besides health.

I'm a vegan myself, for both health and moral reasons, (though growing up I was such a hard core carnivore :p ) Soy and veggies does a body good! :D

16. pygmalion

Dancer at heart. I'm dying to know what you mean by moral reasons. Please PM me, if you don't feel comfortable talking in a open forum. This thread has me thinking, and I really would love to see another's point of view.

Jenn :D

17. SDsalsaguy

I disagree dd. Some vegetarians are concerned about the grain to meat ratio (10:1) and the impact this has on food supplies to/in the "poorer" nations. Needless to say grain isn't raised for fish – instead of for people – in the same way as it is for cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, etc.

Similarly, the slash and burn agriculture used to create ever expanding grazing land (especially throughout South America) has environmental ramifications that fishing does not.

For others the issue of undue pain/suffering is of importance and they recognize the less developed neural systems/pain reception of fish as a mitigating factor.

I'm not trying to preach so I do apologize, in advance, if this in any way comes across in that matter...just trying to present some of the under girding considerations that a given individual might take into consideration.

18. pygmalion

Now I see what everybody's talking about with moral issues and vegetarian lifestyles. It may sound dumb and perhaps inadequate, but that's why I don't eat veal. The unbelievably inhumane (Yes, I KNOW they're animals, but still) way they are treated turns my stomach. It's not just about the pain they feel, but also about the lives they live. Anybody who's ever been to a large-scale breeding farm can attest to that.

Thanks for sharing, SD. :?

19. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

Moral issues would include the suffering that animals go thru when slaughtered, the impact on the envornment in terms of grazing and what it takes to produce for example a steak (but I must argue that we cannot simply say because fishy has a less extensive neural path that they do not feel pain therefore it is morally ok for consumption...don't get me wrong, fishy are great if one is vegetarian for health reasons) and since I am a buddhist, I believe in karma on cycles of life.

I typically don't talk about being a vegetarian since it tend to press people's button (not to mention all the lecture I would get on why I should not be a vegetarian :? )

20. pygmalion

No lectures here. We all have the right to make our life choices and to be respected when we do so. :D

I was just wondering what would prompt such a lifestyle change. Now I understand better. And I'll likely have a days and nights of pondering this while I try to wrap my conscience around how I'm living. Then I'll decide. No matter how it goes, I'd rather be informed than uninformed.

Thanks. 8)

Jenn