Tango Argentino > What do you think comes first...

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Natalia28, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Natalia28

Natalia28 New Member

The passion, or the technique??
    By passion I do not mean the passion for the dance, the music, or the culture. I mean the palpable passion between two partners that can be observed in legendary tango couples.
    In the beginning of learning tango, it is so easy to only focus on the technique, the movements, the posture, the counts. But I sometimes wonder, once these are finally acheived... is that when the partners start to dance with their eyes locked upon one another's? When one's movement becomes a blended extension of the other partner's movement?
    Or do you believe if that innate magnetism isn't there while even learning the beginning steps, perhaps it may never be?
    I am curious!

2. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Passion can be faked. Technique cannot.

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

devotion
    to the motion
    creates emotion

itwillhappen and Natalia28 like this.
  4. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Original poster, you may be the victim of clichés.

larrynla, ArbeeNYC and Tango Distance like this.
  5. JTh

JTh Member

It's very difficult to get the passion, intensity of the dance between partners if the fundamentals of the technique are not there. Focus on that first.. Technique such as balance, posture, frame etc are, for the majority, pre - requisites to realise the intensity and passion in a dance.

6. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

You talk about a passion like this?

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi Natalia, welcome to DF!
    I totally disagree. I dance tango for 20 years and I saw a lot of guys and girls come and go.

-All those who sought for that "palpable passion between two partner" in a "blended extension of the partner´s movement" left early.
    -My impression is, that the degree of relational disturbed people is higher in the tango community compared to other styles.
    -There is no antagonism between passion and technique: passion also is technique, a technique called illusion.
    -I for one really had a wild tango youth, but off the dance floor. Discipline and accuracy rules on the floor.
    -Tango is about learning parts and roles. With other words, we deal with masked personalities.

My two cents ;-)

8. pascal

pascal Active Member

This summer like most summers, we have an almost daily outdoors milonga in a place where passer-by tourists are legion, walking from Trocadero to the Tour Eiffel. Most often than not, hearing the music and seeing the AT dancers dancing, some couple full of palpable passion, as can be seen by the way they keep palpatating eachother while walking, will try dancing. Tons of passion, zero technique. the result always ranges between terrible and terrible.

9. opendoor

Thanks for sharing itwillhappen: José Libertella sits on the left side of the step, Luis Stazo on the right. Two of my idols!

10. Natalia28

Natalia28 New Member

Alright thanks my people! It seems to be the prevailing consensus that technique is most important, and the "Passion" can grow once that is established. That is good to hear! Thanks again :)

11. opendoor

Who did say so :rolleyes:

By the way, how did you come to tango. Have you danced tango socially before you started with technique and classes?

12. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Passion can be associated with the people we are dancing with,
    but also to dance itself how we are experiencing movement and technique.

13. opendoor

14. larrynla

larrynla Member

That's Miguel Angel Zotto and Milena Plebs demonstrating tango from the 20s in Europe and the US. It's a show; not a demo of how to dance or relate to a partner. Unrelated to this discussion.

15. larrynla

larrynla Member

Who are you to judge whether the result was terrible or not? For two people in love the experience may very well be world-shaking, their world. Couples social dancing is a private matter; only the two dancers can judge it. Not watchers. Their opinion is irrelevant.

sixela likes this.
  16. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

That musical "Tango Argentino" was the initial electric shock for the revivification of Tango Argentino. It coined the perception of Tango Argentino as a "dance of passion" in Northern America und Europe and sparked a worldwide Tango boom.

17. larrynla

larrynla Member

Very funny. And unfortunately mostly true!

18. pascal

pascal Active Member

Your links are leading to the respective other post.
    Here is the one and only paragraph relevant to practicing with people you love, all the rest of the essay is about practicing with any partner. The Toumanova lady must know what she writes about, she broke with her partner/life partner, is still now in the AT business but mainly teaches Women technique, where she does not need a partner.

"What happens in tango practicing, especially if two people are in love, is that the slighest critique is taken very personally and is therefore extremely hurtful. Unconsiously you always want to be the best for your partner in everything, including tango. Learning that your ochos are not very good is a hard truth when coming from a teacher, but it is even harder to cope with when coming from your partner. With a teacher we accept their authority over us, but with our partner we want to be equal (unless our partner is our teacher)."

itwillhappen and opendoor like this.
  19. JTh

JTh Member

Tango is am art..which includes not just dancing but also acting / role playing.
    Passion can be faked..? In the dance yo convey to the audience..yes I'd agree. Hollywood actors do this convincingly.
    But to the partner..? Maybe to someone inexperienced who does not know any better..but for most experienced dancers, I'd say that passion in the dance cannot be faked partner to partner. They will be able to feel the passion..difficult to fake this to the partner.

20. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

For me "passion" is just another way of describing intense focus on your partner. Working on technique also takes intense focus, and so can't be worked on at the same time. So you need to choose what you'll focus on at any given time. Spend some time focusing on technique, then lay it aside for a while and focus on the rest of the dance.