General Dance Discussion > What do YOU wear to dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Natalie Marie, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Natalie Marie

Natalie Marie New Member

I know Nike and lululemon are very popular brands of athletic wear but what do you love to wear to dance class? I'm starting at the university as a dance major and want to find the best clothes to wear that are comfy and supportive. Any advice? Thanks!

Mia likes this.
  2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Either a Latin practice dress, or yoga pants and an athletic top. This afternoon it's the latter because I need to do laundry.

IndyLady likes this.
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Around here, for practice or lessons, I see women either wearing jeans, or whatever they wore to work (because they came straight from work to the studio). See some yoga pants but not a lot. Guys generally will be in jeans and a T, although tonight, I was not able to take a change of clothes so I did my lesson in the polo shirt and khakis that I wore to work.

Mia likes this.
  4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Pants (preferably flowy) and a top.

5. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Wear what I wore to work -- business casual.

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Tan or gray pants and sweat can be hazardous to people's eyesight. ;)

I've seen virtually everything at lessons and group classes although yoga or dance pants (black) are most prevalent. I prefer Dri Fit exercise pants - easy to toss in the wash and about a quarter of the cost of dance gear.

7. MaggieMoves

I can't see wearing work clothes to ballroom lessons... Doesn't that get uncomfortable real quick?

blackswan likes this.
  8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I've taken to bringing a pair of practice pants to my lessons, but that's simply a matter of aesthetics. I practice in work clothes (ie, slacks and a button down shirt) all the time with no real issues. It can get rather warm, sure, but not to the point where it's a bona fide problem.

9. snapdancer

I find my business casual work clothes to be quite comfortable.

10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I take lessons in tan tights or fishnets, leotard (or fitted t-shirt) and appropriate-for-the-style ballroom skirt. I'll very rarely be in yoga pants for lessons, but it does happen. I take ballet class in pink or black tights, leotard and ballet skirt/shorts. I practice in athletic gear - usually capris/leggings and a tank or t-shirt with ankle or knee-high tights. I wear the same thing to the gym, just with socks instead of tights.

Clothing choices are always paired with the appropriate footwear for the activity: standard shoes, latin shoes, practice shoes (rarely), ballet slippers, pointe shoes, running shoes, trainers, weight lifting shoes... I take care of my feet.

On nights when I have more than one activity (Monday is practice, then gym; Wednesday is lesson, practice, then ballet), I either change in between or end up in a hybrid outfit - Wednesday ballet, for example, I'm often still in the tan tights and leotard I wore to ballroom, with capris pulled overtop. I prefer to change, but sometimes time gets tight and I need to choose between eating and changing... and I'll always pick food.

11. MaggieMoves

Even when you start to sweat?

12. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

When I first started, I went straight from work to lessons without changing clothes (biz casual, so nice top & slacks). However, as you progress, that is no longer optimal. I now wear a t-shirt and yoga pants or leggings to lessons. Occasionally a practice skirt if it's right before an event.

13. snapdancer

I'm not a sweater.

14. MaggieMoves

I pay for torture - so not sweating isn't an option. Plus work clothes aren't built for going "full out" either. Nothing like ripping work clothes in an inappropriate place... I mean I have dance pants that I've done that to. :rofl:

FancyFeet likes this.
  15. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Stretchy clothes and a good sportsbra are where it's at :cool:

MaggieMoves likes this.
  16. snapdancer

I don't hit it that hard, I'll leave the athletics to those who think that dancing should be an Olympic sport. It's possible to have fun without seeing how fast you can get across the floor.

Also, I don't buy shirts made of synthetic fabrics that don't breathe.

17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

*shrug* I don't twiddle around in my lessons or practice either. My pro has to be pretty careful about what jewelry she wears in her lessons with me - necklaces have been known to go flying. But work clothes really aren't a problem for me from a functional standpoint. Maybe it's a menswear vs ladies' wear thing.

18. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Yup, this is why I graduated to more "workout wear" type clothing. Although the only time I recall someone's pants ripping it was the instructor, lol.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned - I also make sure to have some sort of warm-up jacket or hoodie with me, especially in the winter, for the first few minutes while I'm still warming up (inb4 humblebrags about 30-minute pre-lesson warm-ups, some of us have tight schedules and are coming straight from work with only a few minutes of buffer to get moving before lesson starts).

MaggieMoves likes this.
  19. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I read that as "only a few minutes of butter", which aside from being tasty and paleo, means I better get my annual eye exam.

scullystwin42 and twnkltoz like this.
  20. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I have to imagine business casual wear is easier to dance in than a tall suit.

No joke: one of our top local pros started doing ballroom because in college he wanted a PE class where he didn't have to change clothes after work!