Salsa > What else can salsa borrow from the Dancesport world?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Pacion, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I do, I was just waiting and trying to find a nice way to respond... Thank you for taking care of it for me.

2. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I also take issue! :oops: "Salsa community" ought to read "some members of the salsa community"! Otherwise, you are tarring all of us with the same brush and that is not fair. (Who said life was fair? That is the subject of another post :wink: )

As the instigator, oops (!!) originator of this thread, it was meant to be a positive discussion of the two communities - not a dissing of one or the other.

3. Larinda McRaven

point well taken Pacion. My reaction was more to the post in question than the community as a whole, but point taken regardless.

I am more than very well aware of the stereotype, as I am a prime example of it on occasions. But the fun part of being a stereotype is that when people actually get to know me and dance with me (salsa or waltz) they see a totally different side that is rather surprising and pleasing actually. And as stated before to compare me, as an instructor at work or competitor at work, to people on a Saturday night social dancing in a bar, isn't very accurate.

4. tacad

tacad New Member

Well, they just haven't danced with us :wink: .

5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I know :oops: I just wanted to keep the trail.

6. clave

clave New Member

To clarify, in my previous post I had no intention of disparaging the enjoyment of folks who enjoy ballroom dancing. I was simply stating that it holds no appeal *for me* at this moment in my short dancing career. This may change in the future as I get older, more skilled, bored, as my tastes improve, whatever. And to make the note of this post even more positive, I put forth the following: if you take me to a ballroom event in southern cali that you believe has the kind of energy I described in my previous post, I will treat you to a gigantic slice of the best chocolate cake ever. :wink: It's a win-win situation, whaddya say? :banana:

I think you hit the nail on the head here. You love doing cha cha with one woman!? That's harsh dude. I go out to a hot club and am blown away by twenty ladies in one evening, any evening of the week. So part of the reason people don't find ballroom appealing may be that it's ten different dances in the same bag. I need to have a Ph.D. in dancing before I'll be able to truly enjoy a significant portion of a ballroom party. I don't have time in this short life for that kind of commitment--it took me long enough to master this one dance!

7. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:doh: SOME people!!!!

8. Larinda McRaven

There was a salsa guy that came to our studio for the Christmas party last weekend. He did a fair amount of ballroom/latin, but you could tell he was a salsa guy originally. Everytime a salsa came on and a few of the chachas to, he would come looking for me.

The thing I liked about him was sometimes I would watch him sitting. He was watching the others dancing to the different dances and picking out moves to try. Then he would run over to me and test drive the moves. Since they were familiar ballroom moves I recognized them immediately and was able to follow through with them for him (even if they really didn't work)

But I guess there is a level of spontaneity (sp) that he brought with him that I seldom find in a ballroom studio setting. Pros dancing with other pros will try anything, but most of my students just stick to what they have been shown.

9. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Anyone who could think Larinda is bland hasn't watched much ballroom.

10. tacad

tacad New Member

This may be my fault. Heck it was just 2 or 3 weeks ago that motardmom was telling me to be bold concerning eye contact. Now that I see what is possible and I'm ready to jump in with both feet. So I'm curious to see if I get more passionate dances.

I was only there once but Ballroom is Back in Huntington Beach, was pretty passionate and intriguing. I keep meaning to go back there but it's a bit far from me.

11. Larinda McRaven

:wink: thanks

12. tj

tj New Member

Certainly - one of the lessons at a studio that I attended, had free dancing afterwards. However, most of the Follows would immediately leave, so it wasn't particularly a good place to dance at.

Another night, there was dancing at a studio only minutes away from my apartment, and I'd go there a couple of times. I found it to be much smaller and much friendlier than any of the clubs that I normally went to.

Any and all of my favorite clubs tend to have that "night club edge" if you know what I mean. It does tend to put people (especially Follows) on a bit of the defensive side, I suppose.

13. tacad

tacad New Member

One last thought and then I have got to get out of here. My own studio's parties have dancers that are passionate. Their level of dance is very high. The funny thing though is it does have a hint of the night club atmosphere. And if you are not good the dancers are a little bit hesitant to dance with you. As I'm getting better (and bolder) I find that they are more willing to dance with me, and there is a lot beginning to go on in the dance.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of connection between the perceived unfriendliness of salsa clubs and the passion that salsa dancers are addicted to. I mean, to be very frank, if a man is going to win over a woman for a date, let's say, he has to win her over right? Boldness, stepping up to the plate, this tends to win more hearts than not. I wonder if the same dynamic is going on in a salsa club more often than not. And I wonder if people at ballroom dances tend to go not for winning over a person of the opposite sex, even if only for 3 minutes, but more for a social setting of friends. This would be more accepting of people but would would lack the rewards that the game of flirting would provide. The friendly social setting may have different rewards such as acceptance and relief from having to overcome obstacles all the time.

I've always gone for the latter. Maybe now I'm finally becoming interested in the former. Oh well, I always do things backwards.

EDIT: This is not meant to speak to competitions at all.

14. tj

tj New Member

Nice! :applause:

Very insightful and quite possibly true. I'd say that IMHO, it depends on the individuals involved as well as the dynamics of the local scene.

15. clave

clave New Member

I stand corrected, of course. Some people find ballroom unappealing, being ingorant of the multitude believing it's the best thing since sliced bread. :kissme: Peace on Earth.

16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Just for comparison:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a lesson in how to rewrite "history" and still dig oneself into a hole :wink:

17. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I'm with Pacion on this one. That's a pretty broad brush we (the salsa community) are being painted with. Just because some of us don't "get" ballroom doesn't mean we do not respect the time and skill involved. Most of us probably haven't ever seen a non-competition ballroom event so we have no frame of reference. The ignorance works both ways though. I danced a cha cha cha with a competitive ballroom dancer around here a few months ago and she was completely surprised at how a "street" salsero could have a solid lead. I kind of shrugged. Guess she doesn't realize many of us put in the same amount of sweat that you ballroom dancers do. I don't think there's a lot we can do to change the stereotypes other than what you (dela), Larinda, and others like us are doing...crossing over and showing how wrong they are.

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

A salute to all the generalists out there! :cheers: We know what it is like in the different danec scenes!! Perhaps some of you others want to try something new? :wink: :)

19. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Don't think that's the issue. I've tried many dances (ECS, WCS, Foxtrot, Samba, Waltz), but I'm not a part of those scenes. It's one thing to get instructed in many different dances, it's something altogether different to really be a member of the scene, the culture. I don't think many of the "generalists" can say they are truly entrenched in more than one of the dance cultures.

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

That's true. When I think of people I usually ascribe one dance style to them, lindy or latin or ballroom or west coast or contra. It usually is based on what they would chose if given a choice between two different events. I'll let you all know about this the end of 2005. I am determined to get AT which I can easily get into the music if I risk my soul...and I'm definitely more open now at the end of 2004 to doing so. My guess is AT and salsa by the end of 2005.