Ballroom Dance > What events are you going to?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SDsalsaguy, Apr 2, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

So, what comps, camps, workshops, etc., does everyone have lined up?

Personally I'll be up at the Can-Am in Toronto in a few weeks (April 24-27), and then back down to LA for the Emerald Ball the next week (April 30-May 4). After that comes my European comp tour...so far the Crystal Palace Dancesport Cup (May 19), Blackpool (May 23-30), and the Italian Open (June 22-29).

I’d love to say hi if anyone else is going to be at any of these events.

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

That sounds like a great way to do research to me, Jonathan! Ah, the life! I think I'm working too much.

All I have on my agenda for this year so far are the SOS Shag in Atlanta in late May and the USBDC in Miami (which will be in Hollywood, FL this year). I may get to Ohio depending on the work load. I'm also going to Germany in the Fall to visit my sister-in-law. Her husband is stationed in the army there. I have a dance friend who's also a chiropractor who lives there, so hopefully there will be some dancing to be done as well.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

I've got a lot scheduled, some things big, some things small.

Stanford Cardinal Classic (April 5)
    San Francisco Open (April 18-20)
    Emerald Ball (very beginning of April)
    USABDA Western Regionals (June 14 I think)
    International Grand Ball (end of July)

On my "maybe" list are USABDA Nationals and either the USDSC or Ohio Star Ball. And then there's all the stuff in the fall :)

And, sometime between now and the end of July I'm going to London and Paris for a week (but unfortunately not around the time of Blackpool), to Hawaii or Germany for another two weeks, and my mother is coming to visit me for a week. Geeze that's a lot, maybe I should rethink my schedule for the next four months!

4. SDsalsaguy

Oh yeah, I'm also going to be at the Southwestern Regional Championships next weekend, I just sort of forgot to mention it since its here in town for me (San Diego).
    Wow Laura, and here I thought I was the human pin-ball! Too bad about Blackpool not coinciding with your hop over the pond...

Anyway, good luck this weekend (at Stanford) and make sure to say "hi" at Emerald (just look for me with camera/notebook/tape-recorded in hand).

And, before I forget, Congratulations!!!!! ~ you just made the 100th post in the ballroom forum :!: ...may the riches of the earth and the blessings of the heavens reign down on you for eternity!

5. SDsalsaguy

Well, I'm certainly not complaining about my research topic! :D

I will tell you though, its also often exhausting and definitely has me flirting with near bankruptcy on a regular basis!

Any benefactors out there :?: (If so, you can even make tax deductible contributions to help out with my research...really!)

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Arizona Ballroom Challenge

I won't be competing, but will attend the Arizona Ballroom Challenge on April 27 at the Hilton East here. Salsa Guy there were some folks from the Champion Ballroom in SD who came to this event last year; wonder if they will this year.

7. SDsalsaguy

Re: Arizona Ballroom Challenge

Being there is what counts! Its not like I'm competing at the various venues on my touring schedule (looking for a new partner actually). Hmmm, I wonder which Champion folk were there... I was over at Champion for a couple of hours last night and could've asked them if they were going back. Actually, things are a little hectic since the studio owner (Mary Murphy), is also one of the event organizers for next weekend's (April 11-13) Southwestern Regional Championships. Anyway, enjoy!

8. Spitfire

Of the people there from Champion, the guy was Marcus; don't know who the lady was.

9. SDsalsaguy

Hmmmm, sounds like it was probably Marcus Johnson and JT (Jennifer Thomas).

He's the son of Wendy Johnson (coach and co-organizer for the Southwestern & Holiday comps). They definitely won't be there as he split for Boston...(is with a new partner at Supershag if our Bostonian contingent is interested). She's been doing some performances with Jason Rivers (son of Ray Rivers), but I don't know if they're competing yet. You'll have to let me know!

10. Spitfire

ABC...

Was at the Arizona Ballroom Challenge that I spoke of earlier which featured a professional performance by Tomaz Lewandowski and Isabela Olszewska who are immigrants from Poland and live in California. Outstanding performers and they announced their nuptial plans to the audience. :)

11. SDsalsaguy

Re: ABC...

They're a fun couple to watch -- really energetic!

I just got back from Toronto last night where I visited Viva Dance Studio and went to the the Can-Am. (If anyone's interested, the whole SARS thing has been highly overblown by the media.) I'll have pix availbale soon...

12. Spitfire

I figured that being in California you'd be familiar with them Salsaguy. Are they in San Diego?

Earlier we were talking about the Champion Ballroom. Do you go there often? I think you said something about this, but I don't recall what.

13. Spitfire

Was also at a monthly dance given by the local Lindy Hop group at the downtown senior center on Saturday. Anything goes as far as swing styles are concerned though. Didn't much care for the band; music all seemed to sound the same.

Had to park two blocks away as the downtown area was quite packed for the Mariachi festival that takes place at this time every year. I'm surprised the dance was even held since there has not been one the past few years when the Mariachi festival is held, but they decided to chance it this time.

14. SDsalsaguy

They're actually from up in LA, so not a SD/Champion couple. Only time I've ever seen them down here is when they're in town to compete at the SWR. Because they are a SoCAl couple though, I do see them a lot at the various SoCal comps.