General Dance Discussion > What has been your biggest problem in your dance career?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ChoreoByShate, Jun 3, 2016.

1. ChoreoByShate

ChoreoByShate New Member

There's not a lot of information available about becoming a freelance dance professional. Most of us had to figure things out as we went. Mine used to be figuring out how to get started. Then it became how to make money consistently, or between gigs. What's yours?

2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

My feet.

IndyLady and Borazine like this.
  4. Artofdance11

Artofdance11 New Member

Being a ballerina during ballroom, technique wise.

5. Newdancer81

Newdancer81 Active Member

Being too grounded for ballroom dances and too upright for salsa/bachata lol.

But seriously, getting in own head too much and destroying my own self confidence.

Artofdance11 likes this.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

weight
    caring too much and having that result in being unable to get rid of tension

7. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

• Having my work ethic and goals be different from those around me, and being labelled as some unfavourable things for not being at the studio to socialize, or for doing things my way.
    • Being quite private naturally, and being in a performance sport.
    • Dealing with the studio/comp politics. I hate the drama, and especially hate how it overpowers the dancing sometimes.
    • Finding a way to balance work, dance, and fitness, while still getting some sleep and downtime.

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  8. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Hey! You were supposed to be describing 'your' issues... not mine! (almost verbatim) :) The only thing I need to add is... Time and time and time again, being chastised or marked down for something that later became the fad, the norm, or the law. Very disheartening.

j_alexandra and FancyFeet like this.
  9. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

• Living in an isolated area of an isolated country: no AM partner, sparse lessons, no access to Pro/Am
    • Health issues
    Despite this I remain positive and keep on dancing when I can:)

RiseNFall likes this.
  10. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Money.

IndyLady, KPomPom and Loki like this.
  11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Being an amateur man in a predominantly amateur woman's sport ( pro am)

12. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I'm incredibly lucky that point 1 no longer applies to me in ballroom, although I'll sometimes encounter some weird looks when I say I'm a ballroom competitor at lindy hop events (current coach *only* takes students who want to be trained like competitors / performing artists, even if they aren't going to compete, so there's no worries about being competitively focused in my neck of the woods). But points 2 and 4 nailed my biggest roadblocks.

FancyFeet likes this.
  13. I'm a perfectionist. I know how things should look (and I'm learning how they should feel), so I get frustrated when I have to keep fixing the same things.

s2k likes this.
  14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a "career", but... my current problem is lack of time and opportunity.

IndyLady and ocean-daughter like this.
  15. KPomPom

KPomPom Member

There it is! It's been really hard for me to afford all of this now that I'm not a student. (Ironically because now I am making more money, but there are so many resources/discounts available for students that it still hasn't evened out for me as an adult.)

twnkltoz likes this.
  16. fascination

weight, finances, and MOST importantly, absence of sincere ongoing support/mentor

danceronice likes this.
  17. cornutt

We'll give you support! Don't know how much we can be on the mentor part...

KPomPom, twnkltoz, FancyFeet and 2 others like this.
  18. KPomPom

KPomPom Member

I don't know, there's so many excellent dancers on here. I bet we could scrounge up some expert advice when needed!

19. fascination

thx Cornutt and I do know and appreciate that....I was meaning more of the absence of a highly skilled professional mentor with no skin in the game who could be a trusted advisor....I do value all of my dance friends

stash likes this.
  20. cornutt

Understand... I'm currently in the situation where I am taking with a male instructor. I have an am partner so it works OK, but obviously I can't do pro-am (unless it was a same-sex comp, but I don't have any desire to do that seriously, and besides, he's too tall. :eek: ) There isn't any female instructor in the area at my level. And for various reasons my am partner and I don't have any opportunities to compete together. We occasionally get to do a showcase. My DW, with whom I danced for 13 years, is now experiencing health issues and can't dance.