Salsa > What I learned this weekend ...

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by mellody43, May 24, 2004.

1. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

This is deep.

Really.

Prepare yourself.

Fitted jeans do NOT WORK for salsa dancing! OMG! They don't breathe and just fit all the more as you heat up.

Never ever again!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

=)
    Melissa

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

:shock: , I always wonder why the ladies wear jeans dancing. More so, the JLo cut kind of jeans. They sure are appealing to the eye, but darn...

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yup. Gotta go for dresses in breathable fabrics. Jeans DO NOT work. LOL!

4. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Yup, the more you dance the, heavier they get. :lol: :lol:

5. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

It wasn't pretty. LOL!

Plus they're low rise and I felt like my bum was going to hang out any second. Eeeeeeep.

Melissa

6. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Too funny! :lol: :lol:

7. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

I saw a girl last night (awesome dancer) who had on stretchy fitted jeans and she looked great, didn't seem to be having sweat management problems -- Why do some people seem to not sweat at ALL?

Melissa

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The universe's perverse sense of humor taunting the rest of us?

9. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

I have no place in the Salsa thread, but couldn't resist.
    The aircon was out of order at our regular dance venue this weekend - they had the huge blow fans on. Die hard dancers we are, we danced "ballroom" for a few hours till most of us looked like we had just gone swimming / showered but still wet. What an experience !

10. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

On Friday, the windows were steamed up at the club. LOL!

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

LOL... we're not particularly restrictive or elitist aorund here, so not to worry... :lol:

Great story by the way... I can just picture it too... the whole evening ends with a bunch of water logged dancers! :lol:

12. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

No way! Jeans don't work? Oh my gosh!

And to think I almost put jeans on last Friday night! ;)

Ok...I admit...see another confession...I have discovered that cotton short sleeve shirts work way better then the blended fabrics with long sleeves. Lol.

Anyway...we had air conditioning on Friday! Yeehah!

13. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Dance poet: I think that LOOSE jeans might be better -- I see guys wearing them at the more casual clubs -- but oh dear. Nothing that skims the body. :shock:

14. DancePoet

Frankly, I'm not sure I'd wear jeans of any style, regular slacks work just fine, and I'll leave the skirts and dresses to the ladies, yet your advice makes sense to me.

Besides, I just don't see myself wearing the skin tight stuff nor for that matter the low cut style either. I'd rather leave alittle bit to the imagination, even though my SO has mighty nice things to say about my rearend, with or without clothes. (Oh gosh, and I actually wrote that?)

15. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Well, it's been said that the more in shape people are, the more they sweat; and I know we dancers are in tip-top (sorta!) shape, to do what we do, so I like SD's explanation! :lol: :lol:

...Actually, a story from my DDR experiences happens to fit in to this "sweating" category:
    I was doing "Exercise Mode" on DDR Max** one day, and I did it for about an hour or so. Well, I sweat rivers from my face, no kidding! Well, I went out to the kitchen to re-fill my glass of water, and my mother saw me and asked, "Caitlan, did you put water on your face?!?!" :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: You can imagine how slightly embarrassed/very amused I was! 8) But I wouldn't worry about the sweating thing! It's actually very healthy for you, because when you sweat, your body releases a natural antibiotic onto your skin! :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: DP, you're on DF! We share *EVERYTHING* (well, almost! :roll: ), remember?! :wink: Of course, we *read* everything as well! :lol: 8)

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

(PS-

**Where you can as many songs as you want for however long you want, and you can set a goal for how many calories you wish to burn {and you can achieve it more than once}, and at the end of every song, it tells you how many calories you have burned plus their equivalence in jogging, swimming, and jumping rope {distance and # of jumps}!!!)

16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I wear jazz dance pants or synthetic blends, NEVER cotton! I would soak it in sweat instantly, and that stuff NEVER dries!!! :cry:
    The girls I see that wear jeans for salsa aren't doing the splits or high kicks (as I sometimes attempt. Note "attempt" is the key word here). I could only imagine how binding and uncomfortable that would be...

17. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:doh: OH! I almost forgot! =^__^=

I was going to say, I have two pairs of pants that I *love* to dance in! One (which I wore to my Salsa workshop last night! --See First Salsa Workshop! thread, if you happen to be interested in my first experience with Salsa! 8) *shameless self-advertisment*) is a pair of non-jean-type pants that are made out of a thin, though sturdy and *very* breathable material (I wanna say it's "cloth-like" but I know that's not it... :? ), have pipe-legs, show off the legs just a bit (if one is into that sort of thing), and are nice and easy to move in, even when sweaty!! The second is my normal pair of pants I wear to my lessons. They are black with silver pinstripes (which actually seem to disappear depending on the angle you're looking at them at!), are made out of a "nice-pants" material, are semi-tight (not like the jeans that can sometimes look like they're "spray-painted on!" {to quote my French teacher!}, but tight enough), but are still nice and easy to move in!

:D I love my dance pants!

18. DancePoet

Binding! Eeek! Another reason for a guy not to wear jeans. Lol!

Uncomfortable might be an understatement. I'd say ... painful.

And regarding cotton...I only said it was better...not necessarily the best...I'm still experimenting. I'm going to try linen next weekend. And I mean for the shirt, not the pants.

P.S. Sakura: Your teasing with your description, but that's not a bad thing. Sounds very nice indeed.

19. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cocodrilo!!! I'm sure you do just fine at them though!

20. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

*laughs out loud at the vision of herself trying splits or kicks*

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Not gonna happen. LOL!