Tango Argentino > What is a milonga?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MaggieB, Jul 31, 2004.

1. MaggieB

MaggieB New Member

Can someone explain what is meant by a milonga? Since it seems to be used in various forms I am not sure I know what people mean when they refer to same.

Thanks!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi MaggieB. Welcome. :D

I'll let one of the tango experts answer you. Hmm. I think there was an older thread on this, but my track record of finding old threads is not too good, lately. :oops: :lol:

Again. Welcome. 8)

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

4. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hi, MaggieB and welcome to DF! Sagitta's right on the money. As you'll see from his explanation (and accompanying links), it's used in two ways, to refer to an Argentine tango social, but also a lovely, light, slightly quicker flavour of Argentine tango.

5. MaggieB

MaggieB New Member

Thank you all for the clarification. Locally the AT dancers call their practice sessions a melonga.... so I was confused because I didn't realize that there is a variation of the dance that is also called by that same name.

I am hoping [waiting to see if the class fills] to take our first AT classes this fall, in the meantime we are exposing ourselves to as much as possible to gain an understanding of the dance and the culture that originated it.

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

That's great MaggieB. There is a ton of useful information in the AT forum, so enjoy. Do any other dancing? I'm completely into latin, of which I include AT. If it's latin I wanna do it. What about you?

7. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Milonga is also a type of music. So you can dance a milonga (dance) on a milonga (music) in a milonga (place).

8. rails

rails New Member

I'm new to tango and wanted to clarify something. I take it "American" tango refers to the stuff they teach in American Smooth ballroom classes. Is that correct?

Also, what do they call the tango that they teach in International Standard classes? International? Is its derivation particularly different from American tango?

Thanks.

9. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

So MaggieB did you finally get a taste of AT yet??? :D

Yes, american tango refers to the ballroom tango, it has similar principle and technique as in other ballroom dances. For international tango (yes, you call it international tango) :) It's very similar to the american tango, same technique and basic step but with slightly different figures. I haven't done enough international style to tell you in detail exactly what the differences are, but for example, there is no open fan position in international tango. Perhaps some ballroom experts here will help you out! :)

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The primary difference between American & International style ballroom dances is that one remains in closed frame 100% for International, so *no* open figures of any nature. There are slight differences in music tempi, etc., as well, but the basic mechanics are fairly similar.

11. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

Wow SD, I thought you're a salsa guy (very obvious from your name), so you turn out to be a ballroom person as well! :D

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Heya Bargeot... my introduction to dance came through salsa and that's what I actually do the most of myself, but I'm actually probably more informed about ballroom and the ballroom scene. :oops:

[If you want more info, you can see why by following the link in my signature... :wink: ]

13. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Bargeot, SD is a man of many talents!

The other difference between ballroom and Argentine tango is that ballroom tango is so rigid (which has to do with the frame, as SD mentioned).

As for open figures, there's very little that's set in AT. It's very much an improvisational dance and every one is markedly different. There's a whole lot less freedom with ballroom tango and, as I've found, my ballroom tango changed markedly once I started doing AT. It become much more relaxed and fluid, which, through ballroom eyes, isn't necessarilly a good thing! :)