Dance Articles > What Is An Advanced Dancer

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by SDsalsaguy, Aug 16, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Taken, with permission, from Terryl's Corner - Advice and tips for dancers

2. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

good article~!

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

That post cracked me up :lol:

5. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Some good points to think about, and give a try, no matter what you’re dancing

I would have liked to see that. 8)

Exactly. :D

6. Taita

Taita New Member

Good Article,

This reminds me of a lesson I once had. My partner and I were working with a world class dancer on our latin routines. We worked with him about 3 months prior and had an opportunity to work with him again. After observing us go through our routines, he basically had this to say (I'm paraphrasing here):

"You guys have made impressive progress since I last saw you. Your technique has become more natural and I can tell you've been working hard. However, when are you going to actually start dancing?"

He then proceeded to tell how he would sometimes watch the syllabus level competitors and would invariably be drawn to watching the one guy who is not focused on executing technique as he is on just dancing. He then explained how, to him, dancing was not so much a matter of execution as it was simply being in the present moment with his partner, even when the world was watching them in competition. Much like the couple doing rumba walks, it was then that I realized how they are able to separate themselves from everyone else. To me, the execution of technique does separate an advanced dancer from the fray, the very best dancers are the ones actually dancing in the present moment.

7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I hear you, Taisha!

It's funny (and also sad) when you see incredible dancers that are so focused on technique and execution, but seem to lack the expression and playfulness that you would expect to see when someone is truly enjoying dancing. I've seen many people like this...technically beautiful, but otherwise unconvincing.

8. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

absolutely great article... Loved it... The separation from great to greatest is passion/love. We can both be as great but the projection of my passion not only towards my other half but out to the world around us is what elavates the best from the rest.