Salsa > What is bachata?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Spitfire, Sep 8, 2003.

1. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Oh definitely! I think you feel the music a bit more because the dance is so sensual. At least for me the connection with my partner feels 'stronger' than it does with other music I dance to.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Getting back to this discussion...

:?: So kind of like ECS triple time with the hip rotation instead of rock step. Is that an accurate description?

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

No, because the feeling and flavor are of a totally different order...it's a Latin dance, not a swing. Also, technically speaking, the triple step of ECS is not done to even timing whereas this is, here we're dealing with 4/4 timing danced evenly with one step/action per beat.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I was referring to the resemblence of the pattern and the direction in which it is moving. So is it different in that regard?

5. SDsalsaguy

Still different, at least if you're talking about ballroom ECS, because each step in bachata is on a whole beat – so of equal size – whereas ECS triple steps (again, if the ballroom version) are not. In very general terms I think you're heading in the right direction but, technically, there is a difference.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I have a dumb question. What is all this uproar over bachata? Is there a lot to the dance? You know, lots of unique steps, and styling and such? I ask because I've never had any lessons in it. I just went to a salsa club, and when one came on, I danced. Did I miss anything? Should I go out and look for a Latin dance teacher to sharpen my skills?

7. SDsalsaguy

LOL :lol:

No! Actually, I don't think I've seen it even taught more then once! If you see it done, that's pretty much enough to understand the basic if you have any other dance background.

8. pygmalion

Cool. :D

Now I can relax, and just dance. :D :D

9. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Yeah most people just dance the basic the whole song, nothing wrong with that. I've learned several cool bachata patterns and add more and more to it when I get the chance.

10. pygmalion

Exactly what I'm thinking. Just dance the basic, and if the guy can "teach" me more patterns, follow him. If not, the basic is pretty entertaining by itself, because I like the music.

11. migs

migs New Member

hi. i absolutly love bachata but unfortunatly hardly anyone here knows it. And i only know basics. Are you ment to move all your body ie, shoulders, hips much in bachata or are you supposed to keep your body more ridgid :?: Any bachata tips are welcome :D

12. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

There's nothing rigid about Bachata. Just feel the music and go! :D There are a lot of cool moves you can spice things up with once you're comfortable with it.

13. Giselle

Giselle New Member

Is the hip rotation that was mentioned anything like the a-2 in Samba?

14. cowpaste

cowpaste New Member

Does anyone know any links to videos? I know the basic sideways I think...however I have no clue at all how the turns or other basics go. Everytime I see people dance bachata, it's usually just the basic.

15. Giselle

Giselle New Member

Anyone, anyone?

16. brujo

brujo New Member

17. salsaForfun

salsaForfun New Member

Luis Vargas has a good DVD with "videoclips" for every song where you see people dance bachata/Merengue (Bachatarengue?). check it out.
    The DVD is "En Persona".

18. Soñador

Soñador New Member

Most of you seem to like bachata... Personally I don't like it that much... Don't really know why, maybe because I only had basic instructions and know the base steps... But besides these, are there any other or that's all!? I really like merengue or salsa much, much more... For those who know a bit more about bachata, can you tell me if there're more steps and variations, trics and so on (such as in salsa and merengue) or there's only the side-together-side thing?

19. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

There are PLENTY of other moves you can add to Bachata!

20. SDsalsaguy

Absolutely! There's the "go get a drink of water," the "comb your hair," the "visit the restroom," the "talk to the person next to you," the "step outside for some fresh air," the . . . well, you get the idea! :wink: :lol: