General Dance Discussion > What is contra dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Nov 7, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It's only been two and a half months of sideways references. What the heck IS contra dane?

2. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

It's a dance done by the former Nicaraguan National Guardsmen that are still loyal to their past ruler Somoza after he was ousted by the Sandinistas.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. I couldn't resist the temptation.

3. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Yes it is like square dancing, or that's what everyone says. Never did square dancing before :?

The songs can be really long, with one dance lasting over ten minutes!! Couples line up making groups of four people; for every two couples the first couple are the ones and move away from the band, and the second couple moves towards the band as the song is played...The caller usually goes over the basic sequence that he/she will be calling for a dance once/twice, then the music starts, the caller starts and people start dancing... It can be very energetic and fun, which is the way I like it if I do it. Don't do it that often, though.

5. Kittyirish

Kittyirish New Member

another bad play on words...

the hard part is when you make the turns is keeping the guns from knocking your partner unconscious. I guess that's what the shoulder strap is for :lol: Couldn't resist either, HepCatBob!

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Okay. Fine. fine. with all you smart alecks in the house, I guess I'd better check that link. :tongue: :lol: