What Is Hip Swing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Purr, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

2. biggestbox

biggestbox Member

really hard to explain in words, basically your hips work like a pendulum coming down during the triple step and up on the '2' (1 & 2 or 1 a 2).
    say your weight in one the right, then the right hip is higher than the left. that is basically it.
  3. flexi

flexi Member

Hip swing in Latin or Hip swing in Ballroom..??
  4. biggestbox

biggestbox Member

You body remains fairly still (centered). I mean, you've got all kinds of ab contraction and stuff but your weight stays very centered. The hip comes from the centered weight and the standing push.
  5. flexi

flexi Member

When you watch a good couple, for example dancing a natural turn in Waltz...
    You may notice that the frame of the couple seems to wind up, rotate, sway and have a nice posistion at the end of the turn. The reason for this is that the hips carry the shoulders ( frame) and the HIPS and HIP Swing create the lines you see with the frame/shoulders

A very easy place to feel hip swing is the transistion from step one and step two as a lady in waltz. Step two has a lot of sway for the lady.. almost to a diagonal line.. Just about the only way to make the sway line from one to two is to use rotation, and change of hip angle..
    This is a start for hip swing..

If you think of sway in waltz as the shoulder going from parallel to the floor, and lifting and tipping to create swing/sway etc.. it's the same for the hips... Actually the frame/shoulders swing/sway etc BECAUSE of HIP SWING..
  6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

ALL sway ( not broken line or changing ) emanates from the ankles, with the body inclined in the opposite direction of travel ( there are exceptions )

The placement of the leg about to receive the weight, should retain a feel of inside edge , thruout the execution, the sway having commenced at the completion of " 1 " in the bar and to be continued thru the end of " 3 " making a gradual return to straight .

There is also a marked difference , initially , between where the Amat, dancer
    places his foot directionally on " 2 ", as opposed to the skilled exponent .

A well known coach, once advocated, that " sway " should be a natural ,and not " taught " action .
  7. biggestbox

biggestbox Member

completely ignore everything I was saying. I was writing about hip swing (in swing)
  8. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

The way I was explain by my teacher is at the end of your triple step to the left your hip will swing up to the left a little so It will give you a change of direction for the triple step to the right and you will do the same and the end of the triple to the right before you do the rock step.
    That will give the impression of up and down in the EC Swing.
  9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Purr, is there something we should know? Seems you edited or deleted all of your posts, including the post with the original topic of this thread?
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

when I was a little girl I used to sit on the swings for hours(did you?...do you remember the feeling?)...it is not so different now purr....and um WRT hip swing...your upcoming potential coaching would be a very good person with whom to discuss this
  11. Josh

Josh Active Member

This post is spot on, especially the last sentence.

Sway is a natural "self-preservation" action, and except in cases of oversway or reverse sway, it will happen naturally, or you will be picking yourself up off the floor.

It is especially good to note that the swing step, that is, step 2, should always be completed--that is, the inside of the shoulder of the standing leg should line up over the outside of the hip, over the foot. Any attempt to artifically create sway early will result in the swing step not completing. As sway *controls* swing, it will be useless if the swing step never completes, and will only result in weak, unfinished movement.