Swing Discussion Boards > what is neccessary to teach swing dancing?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Jan 2, 2005.

1. luh

luh Active Member

Hi
    I also thought of teaching as soon as I'm back in Germany. What requirements are needed to teach swing dancing? Do I need any licences? If yes, where can I get those?
    luh

2. blue

blue New Member

Knowing nothing about Germany, I can not image there is someone anywhere who can prevent anyone from teaching swing dancing. Unlike Ceroc, it is not like someone owns the right to the name "swing" or "lindy hop"... and I can't see who would be issuing licences.

3. luh

luh Active Member

i was even pretty much specifically thinking to a organization called VHS (volks hoch schule) (people high school), which offer normally all kinds of courses, and i think i had my first do-ballroom courses there. It's a very common way in germany to learn something out of school, for also adults.
    i don't know if there are any clubs nearby my town. If there were any than they would probably teach, or let someone teach there.
    luh

4. Sardoth

Sardoth New Member

All dance in my town is basically out of school at dance studio's. That would be the best if you could.

There's like three dance studios in my tiny town you should have one. :/

5. luh

luh Active Member

dancestudios is a good idea too! thanks. Even though i dout that our town has one, but there are other towns around!

6. blue

blue New Member

Ah, then it up to them to decide what they ask of their teachers.

Around here, I would suggest someone who wants to start something up - dancing, sports, whatever - to try and start in a university setting in the kind of clubs/organisations that students at university have. Often there are structures to support you, rooms to use etc. and you don't need to take any major financial risk yourself as it all is pretty low budget. There are cons also, of course, but it can often be a good low-key start. Not sure if it works the same in German university environments, of course.