Country and Western > What is Pony Swing?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by discovery, Apr 17, 2005.

1. discovery

discovery New Member

In the third installment of my "what is" series :D

What is pony swing?

Does:
    "Pony Swing"="Rodeo Swing"="4 count swing"="4 count hustle"?

Is the basic step just rock-step walk walk?

2. gitjiggy

gitjiggy New Member

Pony swing huh?

Well, in my experience the pony swing used to be performed as a country western dance in competition. To me, it closely resembles the cajun jig, where you basically have a partner and you perform moves that resemble the jitterbug or east coast swing. The only difference is your footwork. The footwork resembles someone with a sprained ankle. Picture someone walking with one good foot and one sprained foot. It gives the person a sort of limp when they walk.

So, when you are dancing the pony swing, you are basically rising and falling on your sprained foot (the right one). I can't explain it much better than that, but just imagine trying to do a swing with a sprained ankle. Its kind of like you are hopping around on one good foot. It can be fun to watch with a really good experienced couple. Hope that helps some.

For more information research the cajun jig.

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Re: Pony swing huh?

You got exactly as I know it . . . great job of explaining the "pony" . . . I think you can, and do, switch the "sprained ankle" as you do turns and stuff and lead your dance partner through ECS-like patterns . . . that 's the only difference that I can see . . .

I don't believe that I've even attemped to do it even once in the past ten years . . . but I do know it! Er, maybe can remember 'some of it.'

4. discovery

discovery New Member

Thanks for the description. So is it the same thing as 4 count swing or rodeo swing? Or are those different dances? It doesn't sound like 4 count hustle at least stylistically.

Also what is the basic rhythm? Is it just 1 step for each beat?

5. macha

macha New Member

Or it's also a mesh belt fed underneath a prostrate equid and then linked to a hydraulic device to suspend the otherwise incapable of standing animal until healthy to do so once more 8)

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Although "The Pony" is called a "Swing" dance, here is what is said about the dance:

Is definitely "NOT a Swing Dance" and never was!!! . It is outrageous that some of the Country Western dance circuit allowed Pony Swing to compete in the same category with other real Swing Dances. This is not meant to be negative about Pony Swing - it is a fine dance in its proper category which is Pony Swing.

As far as your question regarding the counts . . . the Pony Swing is often referred to as the "Country Swing," and in other circles, WCS is also called that. The Pony Swing is a 4 count dance - at least the version that I was taught, was a 4 count dance, but that was way back when the "wagon trains were a headin' West!"

7. Lrn2dnc

Lrn2dnc New Member

The rhythm for Pony is

& 1

then repeat endlessly or till the phrase change. 8)

8. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

4 Count Swing would be a basic EC swing, but instead of using 6 beats in a QQSS (or SSQQ) timing it would be QQQQ - Rock Step Step Step

Pony Swing has no rock step. It is simply the "limp step" described above repeated over and over and over with lots of ducks and tunnels, turns and spins danced with it.

9. gitjiggy

gitjiggy New Member

Pony Swing I think originated as a country western form of

the cajun swing or cajun jig. I live in New Orleans and they do the cajun swing and it is very popular. They dance it is cajun and zydeco style music. Same dance as the pony swing but different music and dress attire.

10. luh

luh Active Member

sounds already a little like jive to an ear which has no clue.
    luh

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Nah . . . nothing close to it.

It's pretty much staying on the ground, and if you dance on the one foot like you are limping on that foot, and then put a rock in your sock on the ball of that foot . . . you'll have the look.

With two good "Pony Swingers," it's a refreshing dance to watch . . . I used to do it, but like the Electric Slide, you won't catch me doing it again either!

12. luh

luh Active Member

as i said above, i'm not an expert on this one.
    luh

13. lonely7amada

lonely7amada New Member

14. luh

luh Active Member

welcome to df!
    luh