Swing Discussion Boards > What is swing to you

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Mr Cool, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Mr Cool

Mr Cool New Member

Hi there! I'm a dance addict in the UK and I am interested in people's views on swing. To me there are moves people, these people who think swing is going to all the classes and going through loads of choreographed moves strictly 8 beat or occasionally 6 beat only to swing music and often to boring tracks; they know every charleston variation and perform them no matter what the music says. they tend to dance with the same small group of people. Then there are what I would call real dancers, the people who just love to dance. These people, I am pleased to say I'm one, think dancing is purely about musicality, for me interpreting the music is everything, I feel like a musician but using my feet. I love to use simple moves, whips, texas tommys and change places etc but my passion is the little shimmys, slides, jazz steps etc. many I make up which is great fun and although I love swing music I want to dance to any music which makes my feet want to dance. Most of all it has to be smooth. Ive done the lessons with the likes of Frankie Manning, Rob and Diane, Ryan, and Steve Mitchell but now I know that I just want to dance with ladies who really want to dance with me. I want them to look me in the eye and I want to encourage them to do their own thing to the music not copy me. I want to create my own style, it has to be smooth and flat. I hate the bouncy kicky variety of lindy and I also like to add in some Balboa and Blues and even a little Tango. What does that make me, I hope its a swing dancer? 8) 8) 8) 8)

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Although . . it sounds as though you are "a Lindy Hopper!"

And I guess this makes you a "Swing" dancer of sorts :wink:

3. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

hey mr cool, i can relate to your post,im not a lindy hopper but what you said could be in any dance,there has been threads on musicality etc,you hit it on the head, a lot of people just do patterns,and are not listening to the music, i see this in every dance salsa -hustle -swing-ballroom-country-free style etc....i cant help it im a musican& a dj-dancer it drives me bonkers sometimes to see this,but on a positive note i think if people chill and start listening to the musicans more changes can happen 8)

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome Mr Cool! I've done a little ECS, though latin/Argentine tango is where my true love lies. :) I so agree with you about musicality. Every song I struggle to listen and respond to the music and not just do moves. Lots of people don't get it, and think I'm intermediate. Me? I know I'm simply a struggling beginner.

5. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

I used to be very moves oriented until I started learning lindy, blues, true social west coast, among other swing styles. Then I saw the true possibilities that existed within the framework of the dance. From that point, I have worked to become a "real" swing dancer, one that is willing to attack the floor with style, taking chances, messing around, messing up, having a good time overall.

6. Lulu

Lulu New Member

For me swing is when two people are dancing to music that makes you swing. It's in the rythm, beat, and feel of the dance.

I'm primarlily a lindyhopper but I also shag, bal, charleston, and WC. Of all the "swing" dances I'd have to say that WC doesn't feel like swing. Yes, it has a root in swing but it's evolved so much that the swing has been taken out of it. I'm sure that it's due to the music that it's now danced to.

L

7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

In re "swing", I've learned the same dances as you list (though my shag is very basic and I'm trying to build my balboa up to a decent level). I would generally agree with you about WCS. There are a lot of songs that I have a lot of trouble trying to Lindy to -- it just doesn't feel right (which is saying a lot, if you knew my dance history) -- but with which I have no problem dancing WCS.

I don't know if this is related, but in Lindy class we've been taught to slow dance during the intro (some instructors call this "ramping up", on a tape I think I heard Frankie Manning call it "jockeying"). With swing music, I can't just stand still; I need to move to it (another really big surprise for anybody who knew me before). There's one girl in my WCS classes who also comes from a Lindy background and we've gotten some very nice slow dancing in waiting for the instructor to start the count-off for the starter step. And while some of my other partners will join in with me, most of them won't and some even seem to be at a total loss for how to react -- being sensitive to my partners' non-verbal feedback, I gauge my enthusiasm accordingly.

Is this a manifestation of WCS having lost that swinging feeling?
    [Righteous Brothers ringing in my mind: "Now it's gone, gone, gone"]

8. jon

jon Member

More likely it's a manifestation of your particular reaction to that kind of music, or of the conventions of the group class. Maybe some people just want to pay attention to the teacher, and do only what they're told.