Swing Discussion Boards > What Is The Appeal Of West Coast Swing?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I've heard that the appeal of West Coast Swing is that "it's safe sex on the dance floor."

What is it about the dance that appeals to you?

2. d nice

d nice New Member

The smooth groove that West Coast creates is a great feeling. I enjoy the intricate footwork I can do in the dance while staying connected with my partner in open position as we both improvise to the music.

3. msc

msc New Member

WCS allows you to do some fairly sophisticated partner dancing to all sorts of American music. It's a great social dance.

ocean-daughter likes this.
  4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I love the music and tempo to WCS, I love the arm styling and the moves and I love that it's fast and intricate. I just learned a bad @ss silver pattern/dancesport today that is AWESOME. fun fun fun! :D

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Have any of you heard that it's a "disease . . . an addiction, but a healthy one" . . . ???

I'm not as relaxed or sure of myself as much as I am in WCS . . . maybe with the exception of . . . I hate to admit it . . . the 2 Step.

6. d nice

d nice New Member

You call WCS fast? I like it because its slow. 135 bpm is as fast as you'll usually get from most DJs (not me mind you, but most).

ocean-daughter likes this.
  7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I agree . . there are "some fast songs" that I like to WCS to, but for the most part 124 - 140 bpm is what I want . . . I like to get down, slinky, and sensual . . . on the dance floor too!

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Definitely! It came as quite a surprise to me when I realized that, overall, dancing WCS is probably more similar to dancing salsa then any other dance...

For me, at least, part of the appeal (although I am a real novice at WCS) is that it has that slow sensuality to it and doesn't seem to be about aerobics and acrobatics, etc., in the way that many other forms of swing are. Also why I definitely prefer the older, slinkier style vs. the newer “funk” style I’ve been seeing pushed a lot over the past couple of years…

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

SDsalsaguy,

WCS incorporates many dances; therefore, since it is an expression of the music being played, you can WCS to many different types of music.

Salsa is coming very easy to me. I believe that this is due to extensive WCS training. My first Salsa lesson was this past July, and I feel I could hold my own in a Salsa Jack and Jill, if that dance has such a thing???

I encourage you to get into WCS more, and your dancing abilities will be even more rounded!

10. SDsalsaguy

Only 2 "minor" roadblocks Vince...time and $ :cry:

Despite my sign in name, I'm not just a salsaholic...I've actually competed (albeit lower levels) in a whole slew of dances (International cha cha, rumba, samba, waltz, tango, & quickstep, and American cha cha, rumba, swing, bolero, and mambo, as well as basic hustle and WCS). At the moment I'm working on learning Paso Doble, and, in addition to wanting to proceed with WCS, also want to spend some time with NY on2 salsa and Argentine tango...

So, you take care of the time and $ issues for me and I promise I'll get more into WCS :wink:

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Whoa, you really are into the Latin dances . . . I see you also do a whole slew of dances. You are so right on the $$$ and time.

Next year, I'm going to go for the $$$ and stop competing. Just do Jack and Jills and try to get back some of the event "payout $$$." Most events can average $600 to $1000, and there is at least one a month. Good thing my wife makes those BIG $$$ - you know one of those big computer geeks in the Bay Area!

OK, I'll work on the time/$$ for ya' . . . I think the only dance that I'd add for you would be the NC2S, which I bet you forgot to mention you do???

12. SDsalsaguy

Ummm...I plead the 5th? For what it may be worth, not competitively, no :wink:

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Ah, I should have known that a "swave" and "de-boner" guy like you would DO the NC2S.

14. msc

msc New Member

SD-
    Who's your Paso teacher?

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

"Inticate footwork" - now you're talking . . . it's what I work on the most . . . synchopations, pulsing, tapping out the count, walk-arounds, boogie-walks, some slides, etc., and with me growing trying to imitate James Brown - footwork is "my thing."

Ya' gotta love WCS!

16. SDsalsaguy

Yolanda Vargas.

17. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I meant I like dancing to the faster songs because it is more of a challenge for me..

18. d nice

d nice New Member

Oh, okay I get it. Yes faster music is more of a challenge. It is good to stretch yourself and find new challenges.

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Some fast songs are fun, especially if they are loaded with "breaks," and even better if those breaks are on ct 5, which gives us 6,7,8 to play around!

Slow ones, with a good number of breaks, lets us play, but now it can be sensual, flirty, and have great connections. Just think of the body language that can be portrayed in a slow WCS???

20. d nice

d nice New Member

Actually since the music is 4/4 time and WCS is predominately six count moves with 2 count improvisations and a sprinkling of eights (compared to lindy hop which is almost opposite), it doesn't matter which count the break is on in a two bar phrase. You'll be dancing in and out of it regardless, a break on three gives you five counts to play with before the next phrase picks up.