Swing Discussion Boards > What Is The Appeal Of West Coast Swing?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I hear you on the 4/4 time, you are the one who studies this stuff, so I yield to ya'

But it's very rare that I stick to six-count moves . . . most are 8 - though the basics are in 6!

I literally have thousands of CDs- mostly WCS stuff, and could count on one hand how many of them did not have a break on 1 or 5. So, if I break on 1, does that give me 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 to play with? One could, if you 'break' on 1, 'play' 2,3,4 and start the next move at 5,6,7,8 or, as you suggested 'play' 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 . . . it's what we feel, right? The combinations are what we make of them. What the music dictates, and play we shall do.

2. d nice

d nice New Member

Depends on what kind of music you have. Lots of Blues songs will break in various places some one and five, some three and seven... depends on the style of blues music. Funk, Pop, and hip hop tend to break more on the three and seven.

Pick your poison. :twisted:

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

"Thanks," for those tips. Remembering that will help me in future Jack and Jills . . . I always like to respond to a break, not necessarily 'force" it. However, knowing what type of music it is, blues vs funk vs pop vs hip . . . will help to get set up.

Quick question . . . does a break usually repeat on the same count throughout an entire song? I know there will be exceptions, but generally speaking???

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I 'see' your on . . . tell me about your intricate footwork when you get the time???

5. d nice

d nice New Member

Yes. If you are listening to a song and the fourth or sixth two bar phrase has a break it will generally repeat everytime that phrase comes back in. Music that has a jazz base (blues, jazz, most hip hop, R&B) will break this rule during the the "break" or bridge section. This is the solo section in blues and jazz music. They will establish and follow a new pattern until it switches back to the main body of the song.

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

d nice,
    WOW. Thanks again. Great info!

I'm turning some of my dance time into music theory time, so that I can "dance to the music," i.e., interpret the music just like jazz dancers do. I plan on doing more Jack and Jills in the future, and by listening and knowing the music . . . hm m m m m m. I've done this all along, butnot by really knowing the music. If this makes sense to you???

Very interesting . . .

Vince

7. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

True, slower WCS songs let you 'saunter' around :twisted:

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I used to really like faster WCS songs, but over the past year . . . dancing, playing, flirting, etc., has really put a "new light" on WCS dancing!

Dancing to the slower music lets you interpret, and who says you have to be in a certain spot or on a certain count or foot to do the dance correctly?

Correctly? In what person's eyes? Certainly, the only time you should do it as precribed is if you are competing. I remember once, I got so into the song, in the middle of a Pro-Am competition, I executed a slide, anchored 9 & 10 after the slide, and "got the follower off" on 1. Two judges told me afterwards, that it was a "no, no," but they "gave" me points for it!

9. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

lol @ "gave"...how charitable!! :lol:

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm with Vince in his original assessment. WCS is one sexy dance. You can let your inner diva loose, flirt all you want, and it's just considered good styling. :D :lol: