Swing Discussion Boards > What is the Flying Lindy?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

Why not post Flying Lindy?

Flying Lindy curios,
    I do want to share my knowledge of the Flying Lindy with the largest group possible and I gave 5 reasons why and I should do it on the DKTR thread!
    Now I will give a 6th reason for sending it out to those who ask for it via Email by simply sending me the word, 'Flying Lindy' before October 1 st!
    6) I am concerned and desire to know who actually is interested in and who receives the breakdown for the 'Savoy Flying Lindy'
    for my personal records. Since I am giving it freely, I assume this privilege.
    Since you seem so anxious to have me post my 'Flying Lindy Breakdown' on Dance Forum, D'nice, can you answer this Question: "Why?"
    Black Sheep, your friendly Flying Lindy instructor.
    <D.LANZA@NETZERO.NET>

2. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

From the Don't Knock the Rock Thread... hopefully it will have a happier home over here.

just interesting

I'm not saying that you have the same concept... I said that you two could be describing different dances. I was meaning that that the possiblity may exist that this may not be an insurmountable issue! (pardon the double negative) That it could be a surprisingly small stumbling block... however, I'm begining to see the pointlessness of my optimism.

I thought the method to be perfectly acceptable! I though it was intersting, fun, and involved. Please don't take offense to me calling it cute! I think it is! But I in now way mean anything nagative or demeaning by that term. However, if that's your reasoning, I have to say that just doesn't make sense.

It's like advertising for an event by posting a flyer not about the event but about directions to the infromation booth where one may pick up the flyer about the event. (forgive the use of slight exageration to more clearly illuminate the point, but to me, that's about as much sense it makes)

So are you 'holding it in reserves' for it's proper unveiling? Are you not wishing to make it 'public' yet? Then why have it available at all? I guess I'm not seeing the advantage of partial public. And if the goal is to make it available for the world at the same time then having people individual ask for it seems... ... not goal oriented. I have absolutely no problem with having people e-mail you the magic words... and I'm not suggesting that you 'should' post your Flying Lindy-- it's not like I'm trying to weasel out of the effort involved to send an e-mail!

Yes, and I believe we all know how nice it would have been if some prominate authority in swing had done this in the 40's. But I guess a major question here is that how can we be be sure that what you are doing is not 'modified' for you are one of the 'various interpreters' believe it or not. The tricky part is that of course most interpreters do not think that they are modifying to the point of confusion. So I already know that you will say you are not modifying... that your interpretation is 'pure'-- and of course you would think so, understandably, to not think so would indicate a touch of malice that I know full well is not accurate of you or your intentions.

We are dealing very much with something that has survived much like an oral tradition... is that a bad thing? While on one hand I completely understand the desire to maintain the dance's authenticity but on the other hand (there's always two it seems!) I see it much like I see people who breed dogs. The dogs were bred for very specific purposes that they are no longer required to fulfill but millions of dollars are spent maintaining the integrity of the breeds (which were greatly man-made to begin with) in the whole "dog show world" that exists by and for itself. Dance still fills it's purpose the way nothing else can, but overall, how much does it REALLY matter? for real! Does it feel better to dance exactly the way they did then? One of the great things about it is that each person is invited to put their own twist on it. It's encouraged... that's part of the point even... expression! But I suppose it is a different story when it comes to teaching. I completely see the importance of understanding the roots for reference and appreciation. Completly... I'm not offering a solution here... I'll have to think about it more (I'm also a Gemini... can you tell?)

Umm... I'm not! If I wanted the exclusive inside track I would email you the magic words and try to convince you to not share it with anyone else. When did I do that? What is exclusive about posting information on a public forum? I am not asking you to post it. You've lost me here. I may have asked "why not post it?" being that your stated goal was to spread the word... this is not the same as asking you to post it.

??...my friend...?? I'm not in 'cahoots' about this with anyone that I'm aware of.

Thanks Joe! :lol: I really hope you don't mind me calling it cute... but, to me, IT IS. 'hur-ry, hur-ry, hur-ry!' Thanks, it's very enjoyable!

I am not fighting you, Joe. Although I'm not sure if you are fighting me. I enjoy reading your stories... your personal experience is very different than mine... for that I value it.

edited only for blatent grammatical errors that I would not personally live with

3. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

equations

Swing Kitten,
    I never said or implied you were in Cahoots with anyone.
    My only objection to your entire text is simply, the implication that you make EQUATING me with anyone else.
    And I have had others try to Define me and classify and equate me with other Swing dancers.
    My credentials go beyond being a Swing Dancer.
    Much of what I have contributed on this forum has been lost because of unwarranted adversarial comments that confuse or avoid the issues I put forth. It's unfortunate for those who would have benefited. Now the Flying Lindy, much to my surprise, already seems to be a lost art, and my attempt to share this knowledge, IN MY WAY is being criticized.
    Tell me why?
    Black Sheep, the last of the Flying Lindy pundits.

4. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Re: equations

ok
    I did not think that I was, but since I came across that way to you I apologize for that, it was not my intent.

5. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

DanceMentor,
    When you opened this thread, I expected a band box full of instructions and/or definitions for the Flying Lindy, but nothing came up even resembling the authentic Flying Lindy that was as common as a Coney Island Nathan's hot dog during my teenage years in New York City.
    But strangest phenomenon of all was, when I offered to give the breakdown of the Flying Lindy, less than a dozen were interested enough to send me the word 'Flying Lindy'. But stranger than anything else was the fact that no one out there knows the breakdown for the Flying Lindy except me, that is unless no one else is willing to share their knowledge except me. I gave my reasons for being 'cute' about the deadline of September 31. I was hoping someone would beat me to the punch, but some six weeks have past and no one has come up with the answer of 'What is the Flying Lindy?'
    Am I sitting on a National Treasure?
    Black Sheep, holding the blueprints for the FLH.

6. d nice

d nice New Member

No, there are lots of people who know the Flying Lindy... just apparently a different form than the one you remember. A number of dances had multiple names, and a number of names had multiple dances associated with them.

There are few Lindy Hop instructors on this board, and while there are more lindy hoppers on the board there still aren't lots yet. We're still growing.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Looking at this thread, I see lots of answers and knowledge shared from various people. Two pages filled with Flying Lindy discussion (and one filled with off-topic discussions) makes "no one else is willing to share their knowledge except me" to possibly be a sort of insulting comment for the many people who posted in here.

In the interest of further discussion and curiousity, what do all of you think of Flying Lindy? Did you get a chance to see the clips (before they werre moved offline), or see it in person?

-FF

8. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

Who knows the FDlying Lindy?

D'nice,
    If you know so many people who know the authentic 1930's Flying Lindy, why don't you name them? There is one good friend of yours, Frankie Manning that could support you!. Why not ask him?
    Black Sheep, the Keeper of the Lindy Records.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

:?:

-FF

10. d nice

d nice New Member

Actually last time I asked Frankie about it a couple of years ago, he said it was a name refering to lindy hop styling. He'll be here in two weeks, I'm moderating a talk with him, at the Sacramento Swing Festival.

I'll ask him again though. Better yet I think I'll see if I can get a lap top and let him read this forum and see if he has any comments to make... depends on how much free time we have.

No promises.

11. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

Frankie & who else

D'nice,
    You said many teachers that you know, can do or teach the Flying Lindy? Now you tell me you have not spoken to your good ol' pal Frankie for a couple of years? And now you'll see if he can get a Lap top? And you'll be monitoring him in Sacramento in a few weeks? And then you will ask Frankie about the Flying Lindy...agasin? And what else?
    I thought with all those people in the Swing crowd you mention as your good friends, in your 200 plus posts, that you'd overwhelmed me with Flying Lindy Hop experts. And now you put me on 'hold?
    I can't say I'm surprised, but I am disappointed.
    What if I should die tomorrow? I'm 80 and going down hill fast. What will become of the Lost Flying Lindy after I'm gone?
    I feel like I'm carrying a very heavy responsibility for the future of the Flying Lindy!
    Black Sheep, wishing I had a Magic Pill for the Flying Lindy!

12. d nice

d nice New Member

Re: Frankie & who else

Interesting tone you have here Joe. I don't suppose you would be willing to dump the condescending attitude and just ask your questions? You're much more likely to recieve a polite response.

I actually see Frankie about every two months or so. Despite us being friends. We both have busy schedules. I travel about 15 weeks out of the year, Frankie travels about 45 weeks out of the year, as much as I'd like it we aren't always in the same place at the same time. We are bound by contractual obligations and the desires of various promoters. I've recently had a death in the familiy and another relative who is very ill. I've unfortunately had to op out of a gig I was very much looking forward to because of it. I'm doing the best I can to keep in touch with friends, but I do have other things going on in my life right now that are a bit distracting. Please forgive me.

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I was going to try and get a lap top for him. He won't be staying at my apartment, I don't have the room for him since I moved.

I'm not monitoring Frankie. He isn't some senile old man who is going to wander off if someone doesn't watch out for him. I'm moderating a talk about the history of lindy hop.

Yes I will ask him about the Flying Lindy again. Since apparently the answer this Savoy Dancer gave last time seems to be at odds with what you say is the real deal. Maybe he was wrong or misunderstood the question, "What is Flying Lindy?"

Joe, some of these are social friends, some are professional friends, some are friendships that have grown out of mentoring. While I keep in touch with them, I don't call them everyday. We all have lives outside of swing dancing as well as professional commitments within the swing world that prevent regular communication. I could call Frankie now... but it isn't worth the long distance charges when I'm going to see him in a couple of weeks.

At what, that I have a personal life outside of teaching and lecturing? I'd be surprised and disappointed if I didn't.

Joe I would hope you wouldn't die tomorrow. Think if you passed on and your version of the flying lindy was lost forever because you wouldn't post it to Dance-Forums. I thought you had a breakdown for the Flying Lindy based on your Magic Pill? You should get to work on that next.

13. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

My anxieties!

D'nice,
    You have already cautioned me with several personal messages in one afternoon about not mentioning my books or not saying anything that cans be construed as being commercial or you will place my posts in Siberia, the classified adds where no one is apt to benefit by it.
    I no longer feel free to write in my free flowing stream of consciousness since your friendly cautions. I definitely want too Share any knowledge I have that might benefit society. That is why I became a credentialed teacher out of UCLA. It may sound old fashioned and a bit trite, but I believe in 'Serving' without monetary rewards if able to.
    I not only learned how to dance for free, but Frank Veloz actually paid me $20.00 (in 1950) a week for 8 weeks to enter his Teachers Training class. If you doubt this, ask Jean Phelps Veloz. She was at the same studio as Frank Veloz's dance partner at the time.
    What I can't understand is why would anyone want to demean my efforts to help increase the Swing population. And I do it gratis!
    Black Sheep. please do not shear my fleece!

14. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Still at it, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Maybe we can get Frankie Manning to post. That would be a gas!
    Any chance that could happen? Or maybe we could get a recording. I could certainly make it playable on the Dance Forums.

d nice, if you are going to be hosting a talk, maybe we could start a thread called the top 5 questions for Frankie Manning, let people submit and take the top 5 chosen my the Moderator Team.

When we get the answers, we'll post them.

Just an idea...

15. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

that would be really cool!

16. d nice

d nice New Member

Joe you are welcome to share your information on flying lindy. We want everyone to feel comfortable asking questions, sharing information and opinions. My cautions are just that, cautions.

We want to encourage active discussion, in the appropriate forum, of all things regarding dance.