Swing Discussion Boards > What is the grapevine?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by hepcat, Aug 26, 2005.

1. hepcat

hepcat Member

Maybe I know it by a different name, but I don't know what the grapevine is. Can someone explain it to me?

2. Danoo

Danoo New Member

if its the same as the salsa steps its just a matter of crossing your feet while moving slightly to the side
    i cant explain but im sure somebody can :oops: :lol: :p

edit: i thought it was greatvine :oops:

3. dTas

dTas New Member

in what context?

i always thought a grapevine was a side-cross behind-side step to either the right or the left.

4. Danoo

Danoo New Member

i think thats the one :D

5. Canadian Guy

Canadian Guy New Member

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . and w/o that count 4 leg lift . . . in actual dance, it should be a touch in-place next to the R foot if you're going right, and a touch in-place next to the L foot if you're going left.

You can also touch step in front or behind the foot placed down in count 3,
    and making it even more difficult . . . you can roll it out in counts of 4 and L . . . there are literally dozens of moves you can do to this simple basic.

This is a very basic move for C&W line dancers, and I believe that they have an advantage of lots of other dancers because they've learned so many basic foundation footwork moves over the years.

OK . . . no one dare mention the Electric slide here!

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Wait a moment...You just did!

8. discovery

discovery New Member

I agree but I would add that it often consists of:

a side step, a cross-behind step, a side step, a cross-infront step

Either to the left or right repeated as necessary. Also note, depending on the context, it can start at any point in the above 4-part sequence and it is not necessary to dance all 4 parts.

9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

OK, when I tried to post earlier today there was a server problem. Since I wrote it before the Electric Slide warning, I feel safe in ignoring that warning [grin]:

I didn't know that swing (ah, but what form of swing?) uses the grapevine. So far I've been taught it in hustle and in country (particularly in the Barn Dance and the Electric Slide).

In country, it's a simple side step with a hook step (not a salsa gancho -- as I've been taught, hook step crosses in back, cross step crosses in front). Eg, grapevine to the right is: right foot side step, left foot hook behind the right and put your weight on it as your body continues moving to the right, right foot cross in front of the left and step on it.

I'm rather hazy on it in hustle, except that you're moving to the side in closed position and end up turning 180 degrees at the end, but you both do a cross step and a hook step along the way. Involves turning your bodies slightly to facilitate the cross and hook steps.

How does it go in swing? And is that in WCS, ECS, or Lindy?

10. discovery

discovery New Member

Just being picky here, you'll have to excuse me. :D I understand your description now, but it took me a second. Although technically your right foot does "cross in front" of your left foot on it's way to the side, I think it's better to say it uncrosses, or simply step to side with the right foot, with the uncross being implied. IMO, usually if one says "my right foot crosses in front of my left" they mean they are placing their right foot *into* a crossed position (not taking it out of one).

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You can cross in front, in back, side step . . . whatever you want . . . it's basically a 4 ct move . . . heck , you can add hip hop moves, running man, etc. . . just get in the 4 counts.

And DWise 1 . . . I don't know for sure if it's totally country or not. I know I did it, albeit only a variation, a long time ago in the 60's to rock and roll . . . and I know there are lots of older dances that have those exact steps in them . . .

It's like a 'kick ball change' (as well as countless others) . . . I learned 30 years ago as a line dancer, and I learned the exact move in jazz . . . they're just basic footwork patterns that are common to dance . . . not just one specific dance.

Just my 2(ents

12. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

In foxtrot, you can grapevine for 4, 8 ormore counts. the first *fun* step in foxtrot, IMHO.

Hey, Vince...
    Electric Slide! :p :twisted:

13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I agree, VInce, that it's a basic step like kick-ball-change that many dances use. It's just that I have only encountered it in hustle and country line dances.

I'm still wondering how it's used in swing (and in which form of swing). FWIW, while practicing WCS with a friend today, she informed me that salsa has a swingout. She tried to show me, but it didn't work too well because even though she's a good lead in salsa, I'm a really lousy follow in any dance.

No offense taken, Discovery. I find it a definite challenge to try to describe a dance step in words.

14. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

How to do it in Lindy: As an alternate footwork in patterns, or as a thing to play with.

I don't use it much, but I sometimes use it as the footwork in a circle (the pattern called 'circle'). You can continue going in circle using the grapevine as the footwork for as long as you like.

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I've been WCS dancing for over ten years, and have never did a move or pattern with a grapevine in it.

I'm sure that one probably exists though . . .????

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Isn't Lindy "all about" the swingout???

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

And for those of you that mentioned "that dance" after I warned you not . . . . . . you're "ALL FIRED." :wink:

18. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Not "all about" the swingout. The swingout is considered the basic step of Lindy, but there's much more to it than just the basic, as in any dance.

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

As you could guess . . . I'm not a Lindy Hopper . . . but learning . . . I just remember privates and lots of group classes that centered on "the swingout."

20. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

The swingout is sort of the signature move, but Lindy Hop is so much more than that. But as it is the signature move, and at the same time one of the more difficult moves to do well, it's worth spending some time working on in classes.