Swing Discussion Boards > What is the grapevine?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by hepcat, Aug 26, 2005.

1. luh

luh Active Member

looks like there are a lot of similar ones,(steps), there are others i like to do in charleston dWise
    luh

2. luh

luh Active Member

if you are learning it, maybe the swing compilation page will work for you too ;)
    luh

3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Well, the swingout is also considered one of the hardest moves in Lindy, so students do have to work on it a lot. Heck, we're always trying to work on our swingout.

4. luh

luh Active Member

true, i guess you can always work on the swingout. I actually though call it lindy basic a lot of times. Is that wrong?
    luh

5. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

No, luh, it's not really wrong. I've heard some teachers also refer to it as the "Lindy basic", while other teachers make no mention of there even being a "basic" in Lindy. Seems to depend on the teacher. And even if it's not officially called the "Lindy basic", it is still the fundamental move that a lot of Lindy moves are based on.

Which brings us to a West Coast story (it does tie in). One night our teacher taught us a move she calls the "Florida Basic" and then told us the story behind it. Now mind you, we're in Southern California very close to where West Coast was supposed to have originated and we have never heard of any WCS move being called the "WCS basic". When she'd attend a WCS event (usually to teach a workshop), she made it a habit to visit the other workshops as well to see what other teachers were doing. Which she did at an event in Florida, where in one workshop the teacher told everybody to do "The Basic". Well, she just had to see which move they considered to be "The Basic". She had never seen it before; it was a hijack move (described below). So she added it to her list of moves she can teach and she calls it "The Florida Basic". In telling the story , she also observes that the farther east you go, the stranger West Coast seems to become.

The "Florida Basic":
    Leader leads the follower into a Sugar Push, but on 3, she performs the hijack.
    On 3, she places her left hand on his chest, leans in to give him "the look" (you know, the one that stops him dead in his tracks) while starting to raise his left hand with her right. Her body is slightly turned to her right.
    Somewhere around 4 or 5 (I never can tell; I'm still stunned by "the look"), she lifts his left hand and turns right under the arm, kind of pushing off of his chest with her left hand, and anchors on 5&6.

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

DWise1 . . . do you find this true???

I've danced with followers from the East Coast . . . England . . . France . . . Australia . . . Japan . . . and they all dance the WCS the same!

Sounds pretty much . . . just like a hijack, and only a hijack, in which the follower does what ever she feels like doing!

Never heard of the move . . . guess that's what we get for living on the West Coast, eh? Isolated, maybe?

Yeah, sure!

7. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

That move is a hijack during a tuck turn. Some people like it, some don't..but I wouldn't regulate it as a Florida basic or something only done on the East coast. I've seen it all over and it's no different than a follower hijacking to do something in an underarm pass or progressive tuck.

As for the original grapevine questions..I've done them in WCS. Coming into closed and turning your bodies slightly to move down the slot as well as rounding out sugar pushes (follower comes in on 1, 2 and grapevine steps out of the slotback and around into the slot on rest of the 6 count) and side passes.

I also see them in shag. Since a lot of people I know work shag into their WCS I do the grapevine there a lot as well.

8. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Just reporting someone else's observation, as stated. I could actually say from my own experience, since I haven't been out and about much in the Westie-world, having done most of my open dancing in Lindy and all of my WCS dancing with locals. And even there I haven't gone very far afield but rather have stayed fairly local.

I would assume that some regional differences or at least local moves would crop up. For example, one trend that I heard of is adopting some Carolina Shag steps into WCS, but I would assume that you'd see that happening more on the east coast where the presence and influence of CS would be stronger.

But then you can be exposed to new and different moves just from those who had a different teacher.

9. luh

luh Active Member

my teacher never taught us that as the lindy basic. they did at gac though. i never had problems. Namings of moves are different whereever you go (maybe except swingout george and few others) I normally don't give a lot for naming.

:) it obviously looks if the same is going on in the usa as over here.

We have a teacher, that created a move, and the people that do it in her classes call it wash machine (she does too by now), because it's a little zig zaggity.

Though i'm pretty sure i've seen it somewhere done, I'm sure that she hadn't seen it before teaching it, and really thought of it by her own, but it seems if someone else did too. I'm sure they don't call it wash-machine.

and it seems if lots of moves get "created" by more than one person. And everyone who "invents" a move calls the move differently.
    That's probably also a reason for different namings of moves.
    (story from another dance (discofox). There is a move, that is pretty similar to what i sometimes did in ECS called Titanic. My instructor in discofox called it the "throw-up" move, because you turn out your (drunken) partner, she can throw up, you turn her in again an keep dancing ;) )
    luh
    p.s. are you interested in me explaining the wash-machine? I'm probably not very good at it.

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yea, I got that . . . sorry, hope it didn't sound like I thought it was your conclusion!

Oh absolutely . . . we do it around here, as well, as Lindy moves, Balboa moves, and of course Hip Hop, some newer Krumping moves, and even some (What's his name? moves) - "moonwalking" from time-to-time!

And I'm an older dude, so if I can do 'em, anyone can!

11. luh

luh Active Member

ouch, don't look at the brown website. They have a lindy basic - swingout, and a swingout - which is lindy circle.
    luh