Swing Discussion Boards > What is the hollywood?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by pygmalion, Dec 21, 2003.

1. d nice

d nice New Member

H-Town Represent. Give Mama T my love.

As a matter of fact tell Tena Morales that I'd like her to get ahold of me. bounce510@yahoo.com.

I live in Sacramento.

Damon Stone.

2. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

Haven't seen Tena in quite awhile (possibly since August) - but passed your email on to her.

3. Jmatthew

Jmatthew New Member

D Nice,

That was one of the clearest, most concise summaries I've ever seen of the different styles of Lindy. I'm in awe!

I don't suppose you're coming up for the PDX exchange btw?

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi Jmatthew. Welcome! :D

5. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

that's d nice... ... stick around.. ... read. He's posted tons of great stuff. a real gem.

6. d nice

d nice New Member

Thank you very much. I just saw Erik btw. His day to day dance style these days really isn't "Hollywood" anymore... as a matter of fact the Hollywood style is a bit hard to find in L.A. these days.

As to the exchange... I haven't really looked into it. I literally just got back from LAX (aka the Binge).

When is it?

7. Jmatthew

Jmatthew New Member

http://www.portlandlindyexchange.com/2004/

March 5,6,7.

Portlanders have a fairly smooth style Lindy, not sure if it actually qualifies as Hollywood or what. Down here in Corvallis we have a very distinct gap between our "hardcore" contingent who have a very smooth Lindy and, well, everyone else, who has a very bouncy "savoy" style. The primary teacher of Lindy here in town, Mark Green, is an awesome savoy style dancer, so usually people come out of his class very Savoy, then get smoother and smoother as they dance with locals.

It's very interesting to see how different the dances between Portland, Corvallis and Eugene are, being that they're only a few hours apart, but have very distinct Lindy scenes with very different styles.