What is the most basic move in WCS?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by ticolora, Nov 5, 2016.

1. ticolora

ticolora Member

What is the most basic, simplest, figure in WCS?

I was told that in WCS there is no "basic" figure, like box in Waltz, or forward-backward in Salsa, or side-rockstep-side-rockstep in NC2S. Somebody suggested that a sugar-push would be a such basic. But sugar push doesn't seem to be "plain" enough to qualify as a basic basic move.

Also, is there a term for this basic basic figure in a dance?

2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Some people teach the sugar push as the first step in WCS, so you could consider that the basic. Other people teach a left-side pass first, then a right-side pass, on the theory that while the foot work in a sugar push is simple, executing it evenly reasonably well in not. Not sure how much else the teachers who fall into the latter group teach before they introduce the sugar push.

Mr 4 styles and ticolora like this.
  3. ralf

ralf Member

The way I learned it, there are four fundamental patterns rather than a basic: left-side pass, right-side pass, sugar push, and whip. I'd say left-side pass is the most "basic" in the sense that it's the easiest to actually learn and execute properly. The sugar push would the the most basic pattern that leaves the partners in their original positions at the end of the pattern.

Mr 4 styles and RiseNFall like this.
  4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I was taught that there are seven basics. I teach sugar push first, then left side pass and under arm pass.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

All of the above.... pick what you find easiest. No step is called "the basic" however

6. Jeravae

Jeravae New Member

I was taught sugar push first, kind of as the basic.

7. chuck4788

chuck4788 Member

I have heard instructors ask their students if they are proficient in the seven basics.
    Others have said that WCS is built on four basics patterns: starter steps, passes, whips, pushes. Everything else are variations.
    Whatever you call the basics I think the point is the foundation of the dance is based on a few patterns.

8. Cadburys

Cadburys New Member

My view is that there are four basic patterns in WCS:

Push
    Whip
    Tuck
    Pass

The most basic is a pass, the others have further components:

Push has both Compression
    Whip has a redirection
    Tuck has Compression