Swing Discussion Boards > What is this dance step called? (hands on shoulders)

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by isend, Oct 24, 2014.

1. isend

isend New Member

I don't know the details of the step. (That's why I'd like to know its name and look it up on Youtube.) It's like the couple facing each other holding hands with their arms stretching forward (maybe the arms are crossed, making an "X"). And then somehow they turn their bodies 90 degrees, facing in the same direction, and rest their arms and hands on their scolders (hands still held together), and keep dancing.

What is this dance step called? Thank you. (I failed to follow the leader tonight when he tried this step...)

2. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Is it this at 0:16?

I've heard it call a sweetheart position.

3. isend

isend New Member

Thank you, but sorry I guess this is not what the leader tonight wanted me to do. I think I am able to follow a "sweetheart position", but the leader tonight used his right hand to put my right hand on my right shoulder, after the crossed-arm position -- if I remember correctly. (But I forget where his and my left hands went.)

It's quite possible that I remember things wrong. Sorry if I do.

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

That position has several names, the classic one being Varsouvianna.
    Also
    Sweetheart: side by side, the lead's right hand on the follower's right shoulder, and the left hands together near the left shoulder.
    and Cape

You can see how people in various dnaces have made up their own names for things...
    Wrap (cuddle): side by side, follow's left arm crossing her body and holding lead's right hand. Her right arm crosses over her left and he places his left in it.

I am at a loss for a name for going from one position to another, though.

I wonder if you just think about taking steps in time to the music, and following your hand(s) if that would help.
    When I dance country western two step, I can lead all sorts of things if I can get my partner to think about dancing to the music rather than "where she is supposed to go."
    And then again, some people can lead, which is easier to do if you know where your partner "is" (weighted foot, momentum, etc), better than others.

isend likes this.
  5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

No need to apologize! Because it's quite possible I don't even know how to lead such a move. (I had a rough class this week.)

If you ignore the exact placement of arms and hands, is the video similar to what your lead tried?

6. isend

isend New Member

Thank you so much. So leee was right about its name; thank you~

Now I realized it's an 6-count step. I think the biggest hurdle for me is that I cannot tell whether the leader is going to lead me with a 6-count step or an 8-count one. I guess I failed to follow him in the sweetheart position because I did a rock rather than a triple at Count 5&6. I couldn't feel the hint (weighted foot, momentum, ...etc) quickly enough from the leader at Count 5.

I don't know how I sometimes managed to switch between 6-count and 8-count successfully following the leader. If I know how I succeeded, I may be able to know how I failed at other times.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    leee likes this.
  7. leee

leee Well-Known Member

@isend I liked your last post because you said I was right. ^.^

As for your issue going between 6- and 8-count, that's a fairly common difficulty for newer dancers, but a lot of this I think depends on the lead. In general, I like to rotate and raise my body a little after the 4 to signal that I'm going into 6-count -- that extra movement, which I try to do early, makes triple-stepping easier for the follow, which is basically what you do in a 6-count basic. But going into the sweetheart position might make this movement/signal more difficult, and that's why the move was not executed cleanly.

All that said, as long as you don't hurt your partner, mess up as much as you like -- just keep your feet moving to the music and your partner will be impressed if he even realizes you did something wrong.

isend likes this.