Swing Discussion Boards > What is this dance?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Ron AKA, May 24, 2011.

1. Ron AKA

Ron AKA New Member

We took up dance at a later age, and one of our "friends" sent us a You Tube link, with the "you just have to watch this" line. Can you help me with what it is, and any suggestions on a good comeback?

I can't post a direct link, but if you Google "Old Swingers Pete & Beulah Mae" you will find it.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Appears to be single time swing just from his footwork and that's a great video.

3. Shaka

Shaka New Member

Huh, this is just rock'n'roll...

4. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

some mix of jive, swing, and rock and roll

5. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Not much help for your "comeback", but re the dance, It is Swing. Swing was originally a freestyled dance. Over the years, it has been formalized and pigeon-holed into Stomp (one-step), Lindy (2-step), East/West Coast (3-step), Jitterbug/Jive (3-step danced to 2-step or 1-step music), Shag (which the video has a lot of in it), Push-Whip, Country, Cajun, and on, and on. There are a few basics, yes, upon which all of these, and the video, is based.

Keep in mind, too, that the dance on the video is an exhibition dance, and not such as is danced in social situations. It is not what you and your partner will even want to learn as you begin your lessons. Have fun.

6. Ron AKA

Ron AKA New Member

Thanks for the thoughts on what this was. I'm pleased to hear it was not a obvious dance that I could not recognize. I thought perhaps it may be a Lindy Hop with all the gymnastics, but could not verify it with the steps.

On a come back I was thinking of something along this line.

We recently went to Vegas. It used to be that what happened in Vegas stayed in Vegas. Now it is said "What happens in Vegas stays on You Tube Forever!". Somebody obviously caught us with our canes down!

7. Shaka

Shaka New Member

Nah, this is just rock'n'roll, why bother with other dances it may come from? We are used to see it everytime and everywhere. Exhibition dance? That makes us so damned good. Most people here are very capable of dancing like that socially (with anyone, anywhere and limited space).

8. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Six count triple step basics with no particular styling. I'd call it East Coast Swing. However, I am not from anywhere where ECS is danced, so I will accept any and all wild protests. :eek:)

9. Shaka

Shaka New Member

Not really. East Coast Swing is close to Jive and is danced in two perpendicular lines. Rock'n'Roll, as West Coast Swing and NY salsa, is danced in one line only.

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

+1...

11. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

+2
    With lots of sugar pushes.

12. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

What? The above will get you blank stares from any swing dance community.
    With East Coast Swing (a 6-count basic), there is an option to drop the triples and use either single or double steps on the chasses, but it's still all ECS. If you drop triples in WCS you may be labeled lazy, but it's sometimes done. Once upon a time we labeled ECS with less technique and lots of lifts and singles/doubles as "Street Swing."
    Lindyhop has an 8-count basic, with plenty of room for 6-count (and various other count) moves thrown in.
    What in the world is 2-step or 1-step music? Jive is danced principally to swing music (just like ECS and Lindy), which is pretty much always in a 4/4 time signature. The only real difference between Jive and ECS is technique (and what moves are called). (And to be fair, there are two dances labeled Jive - the International Latin (ballroom) one, and the European one (Ceroc and variations).)
    Carolina Shag is quite similar to WCS - and I didn't see anything I'd strongly classify in that video as either. A sugar push can be done in ECS without automatically labeling it WCS. St. Louis Shag and Collegiate Shag are not similar at all to Carolina Shag - and aren't seen in the video either.

13. RenOrsino

RenOrsino Member

Yeah, that's pretty much just triple step East Coast with a lot of styling imo.

14. RenOrsino

RenOrsino Member

I'm glad someone said it. I dance everything I can (caveat), but am primarily from the social swing dance community. In my experience the (what I like to call vernacular) swing dances are:

East Coast Swing (single and triple, though triple step seems to be directly related to ballroom dance studios)
    Charleston (father of all swing dances)
    West Coast Swing (the lazy step you described is something I again experienced from ballroom studio dancers)
    Lindy Hop
    Balboa
    Bal-swing (any balboa that breaks into open position at any time is no longer balboa but bal-swing)
    Blues (and maybe Swango?)
    The shags (I admit no experience to any but Collegiate)

Different scenes of course, may have different experiences. I'm connected to the Pacific Northwest dance scene and have taken workshops from people such as Peter Loggins (top swing dance historian), Mia Goldsmith, Mike Faltesek, Sugar Sullivan, Sylvia Sikes. My teachers studied with Peter, Frankie Manning and so on. Just so people have an idea where I'm coming from.