Swing Discussion Boards > What is your favorite current WCS song? fav classic WCS?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by jxntwinkletoes, Jul 4, 2005.

1. jxntwinkletoes

jxntwinkletoes New Member

What is your favorite WCS song (name and artist) that is currently played on the radio, etc.?

What is your favorite classic, oldie but goodie, WCS song?

OK, what WCS song do you think has been run into the ground and you are almost sick of dancing to it?

thanks for the feedback!

2. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

I don't own a TV or radio. I listen to Launchcast radio online a lot and they play some good stuff, but I tend to listen to older blues and standards. Michael Buble has some great reditions of the stadards out right now. I like to find garage bands and really obscure groups to dance to.

"Heartattack and Vine" That is one SEXY song. Love it.

Regional issue. NYC plays more blues than Boston, so we have different taste. I have no clue what's being played in Dallas or SoCal, so I can't say what's over done there.

I personally would be fine note hearing "Happy People" or that horrid "Step in the name of Love" song. I groan and run for the lobby to get out of dancing to those two.

Also, check out the WhyDance link in my signature. The site is devoted to WCS and has a thread on what songs are our favorites.

3. jon

jon Member

"Get The Party Started" (or whatever the actual title of that song is). A couple of years ago I'd have nominated the one-trick "Roadrunner", but thankfully, it's pretty much out of circulation now.

Those are actually intended as Chicago Steppin' songs, as well as to rehabilitate R. Kelly's image after the child sex scandal he was in - another reason to not play them (same reason I don't want to hear Michael Jackson songs - maybe he's "innocent" according to the various juries, but I don't want to be supporting the guy in any way whatsoever, even listening to his old music).

4. chandra

chandra New Member

wade in the water by eva cassidy
    aint no sunshine by bill withers

radio: family affair by mary j blije

never want to hear again: put the needle on it. or needle... I dont know, but if youve heard this song you know what im talking about. Repetitive needless to say.

5. Brush Tap

Brush Tap New Member

Chains by Tina Arena, The Ballet by Celine Dion, and Fire by Desree.

6. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I think I've mentioned these before:

Baby I Need Your Love by Debelah Morgan
    Besame by Andres Balinas (cha cha too)
    Yeah by Usher
    among many others on my playlist

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Launchcast radio?

Do folks do WCS to these? I thought these songs were written for Chicago steppin. Hmm. :?

:oops: :oops: Gotta get over there for a visit. I was doing really well for a while, until life got super busy for me. "See" you there later today. 8)

8. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Yahoo streaming radio. It's free with commercials and you can rate music so it plays what you like.

They do, and they are. It's scary and I want it to stop.

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Can't Get You Out Of My Head by Kylie Menough is a good one.

The Wanderer by Dion is one of my oldie faves for WCS.

Step in the name of Love was mentioned, if that's the one I'm thinking of it's a little lengthy.

Man, I just wish I had gotten the name of a particular song and the artist that was played at one of the dances I attended up in Seattle a few weeks ago. It was a very beautiful tune and very danceable. :roll:

EDIT: I was informed that it's Free Me by Emma Bunton.

11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

A lot of Stevie Ray Vaughn stuff is good for WCS. "Cold Shot" is a favorite at our club.

12. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Blue Light Boogie -- Taj Mahal
    I play it at work at lot and it is all I can do to stay at my desk. I have a storage area behind me when I do go sometimes and dance by myself when I just can't stand it anymore. No one can see me, they think I am restocking the pencil supply or something.

13. maineiac

maineiac New Member

favorite WCS song

Hi, I'm new to the group, but this is one of my favorite questions, because I also DJ for our small but dedicated group of WCS dancers.

My fav new tune is "Gone Going" by Black Eyed Peas. Fresh sound, good for summer.

For a classic I'd have to vote for Al Green's , "Tired of Being Alone". I still love that song!

Played to death would be "The Way you Move", Outcast, though not everyone would agree with that I'm sure.

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thanks maineiac, and welcome to df. :)

15. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

"Tired of being alone" is such a great WCS song!

I also really like Joe Cotton. I can't remember the song to save my life, although it's a popular song and Kyle & Sarah won the US Open with it right before their Johnny Routine.

edit: I also really like "love to the music" by the Temptations

16. jxntwinkletoes

jxntwinkletoes New Member

Thanks for the song lists, now I have some new suggestions I can propose in lieu of the ones that are getting worn out around here!

17. Linz

Linz New Member

Fave tracks..

Hi,

This is my 1st post :D
    Here are some tracks we like in Scotland. . .
    Walk On By - Seal
    The Ability to Swing - Thomas Dolby
    How Sweet it Is - Micheal Buble

18. dj_dude_a_belly

dj_dude_a_belly New Member

James Cotton's "How can a fool go wrong" is the song that you are thinking of.

The website www.usaswingnet.com has a list of the top 10 current songs by 10 djs from around the country. You can usually find some of the newest & hottest songs on the WCS scene at the site.

19. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

LOVE that song. I had a dj recently cut that right after the lyrics ended. Soooo upsetting. My major problem with songs is that I get in the moment song after song and later forget them until I hear them again.

Thanks for the title...I'll forget in 20 min though.

20. dj_dude_a_belly

dj_dude_a_belly New Member

The James Cotton song is pretty long, about 7-10 minutes long. Most djs have an edited version that has just the harmonica solo that most WCS dancers love to dance to.