Funstuff and Inspiration > What is your Go-to lipstick?

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by 3wishes, Apr 25, 2017.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Ok, ladies, Question on lipstick, for a comp and/or everyday daily life. As my skin has changed aging up so has my modest daily make up usage, well, of course, it's more like chisel and hammer for a comp. that said
    A- yes I know about using lip liner.
    B- what lipstick have you used for a competition that, in your mind is a proven winner?
    C- do you prefer glossy shine? Or no shine? In daily life? Or comp (personally I don'want my lipstick lips greeting anyone 10 feet ahead of my whole body arriving -that's reserved for Halloween)?
    D- tips and tricks to get the lipstick to "stay" without multiple re-applications.

2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I hate lipstick in everyday life... I'm a tinted balm kind of woman. Maybe a lip crayon if I'm getting fancy ;)

For comp, I swear by liner (just the outside), then lip stain, then lipstick. If the lipstick is matte, I'll also add a subtle gloss in the centre of my lower lip for some dimension.

The stain means that even as the lipstick wears away, the colour stays. I use the covergirl lip stain - it's like a big marker... and I can compete for hours without needing to reapply.

Because I use the layering method, I've never had an issue with drugstore lipstick... but I do have one Sephora and one NYX in my kit. My kit has - I think - 4 colour options, depending on what dress I'm wearing - a true red with cool undertones, a pinky-red (my go-to), a plum, and a bright fuchsia pink. They're all brighter or deeper shades than I would wear in my daily life... though the pinky-red has made an appearance for a fancy night out.

I don't like shimmer in my lipstick, and too much gloss looks goopy. I also find truly matte lips to be harsh on all but the very young. My preference is a long lasting but moisturizing lipstick... trying for the ballroom version of neutral elegance with my look :)

My other key to comp lipstick: exfoliate the lips the day before with a soft toothbrush, then a good, rich balm before bed. I consider it prepping my canvass.

3wishes likes this.
  3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I like the ones where you put on semi-permanent color and then have the gloss to reapply as needed. Every time I wear anything else, I regret it.

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

lipsense for competing... blue-red
    nars velvet matte lip pencil for everyday... bettina

5. Mia

Mia Member

I'm following this thread closely as I also want a lipstick that handles perspiration well and I want to see what others use. I haven't found a favorite lipstick yet although "Covergirl Outlast" and "L'Oreal Riche" seem to be the two I tend to use more often then others ....

6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I've used a MAC true red lipstick or a Clinique fuchsia lipstick, followed by an Urban Decay sparkly lip gloss. I have a lip liner, but I'm not a fan of using it.

For everyday, a favorite is the Clinique chubby stick lip crayons.

7. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

Liner, then Revlon colorstay ultimate liquid lipstick as a base, with a very light coat of normal lipstick on top applied with a brush. I sometimes use two coats of the liquid in different colours to get the base colour I'm after. Too many lipsticks to name but I like some of the Revlon ones and also Ben Nye.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

revlon colorstay...for all of life....but in vastly different shades in real life rather than competing

SwingingAlong likes this.
  9. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

guilty secret: those cheap color-changing lipsticks you get at the really, really bad cosmetics shops. The blue lipstick stains my lips a deep rosy pink. The dark green becomes dark magenta. The red stains really, really red. And this stuff doesn't come off until I use a sugar scrub. It's the best base color ever. My musician friends who play wind instruments love them b/c you put them on, wait til the color changes, wipe them off, and can do a recital without looking like a ghost or ruining a reed.

Larinda McRaven, 3wishes and Mia like this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

The color she leaves on my shirt ...... :eek:

The mrs that is ;)

MaggieMoves and Purr like this.
  11. Mia

Mia Member

Thanks for sharing this secret! Especially for those of us like me who sometimes spends a little too much on lipstick lol

12. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

One that does not stain my shirt collar...:rolleyes::D