General Dance Discussion > What makes a good student?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Jan 1, 2005.

?

What Kind of a Dance Student Are You?

1. A Once-in-a-Lifetime Student!!!

30.4%
  2. Good Student

44.3%
  3. Average Student

10.1%
  4. Below Average Student

1.3%
  5. Trouble!!!

13.9%
  1. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

There's also the effect. of climbing the same mountain by different routes. Two teachers who could dance easily together at first meeting might have students who would find themselves in strong disagreement, because they each have a different incomplete fraction of the knowledge needed to make dancing work. So in addition to having adapted to your new teacher you have probably also grown to a point of development where their paths of approach draw closer together.

2. MultiFaceted Dancer

MultiFaceted Dancer Active Member

A Good Student, in my opinion, Challenges not only themselves but thier instructor to be the best they can be and better than what they dared to hope. I Don't believe in doing everything exactly as it is being taught because that doesn't push the envelope to aspire to something better. I Don't believe in being the puppet but an advocate to being unusual and different from the norm which is what makes a Judge stand up and Notice. If all the students did exactly the same as thier teachers did-- who would get to be the best ---without the variables and differences in each of our abilities and our own personalities there would be no 1st place winners just being tied and the same as everyone else. A Good Student steps Outside the Box and Comfort Zone to be the Best and not the same. Challenge is what students and teachers need to teach and learn.

3. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

Chris thank you so much for sharing your insights in answering my question. :)

4. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I think when you spend a lot of time with one instructor, no matter how good they are, there are things that aren't their pet peeves that will be ignored, just because that instructor is accustomed to seeing them in you. You go to another instructor, and because they have fresh eyes on the situation, it's glaringly obvious to them, so they fix them right off.

5. MultiFaceted Dancer

MultiFaceted Dancer Active Member

For that particular reason I go to many instructors taking as many group lessons as I possibly can along with my private lessons to get different prespectives as possible who correct technique as the lesson progresses.

6. Shandy

Shandy Member

Can't post youtube links, but would like to suggest that there are a couple of youtube links that offer an interesting take on "a good student".

Maybe someone could make the appropriate link.
    The you-tube title is: "Len Goodman lectures on learning, practicing and partnership" - part 1 and part 2. The subscriber is: seravi.

7. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

I think a good student communicates *honestly* if not effectively. Sometimes I feel like I'm whining that "I don't get it" but I need to tell him that I'm confused and the connection between the information and my movement isn't making it, so he can explain it a different way. We love those moments when something "clicks".

Another quality that I think makes a better student is trust... In the past for various reasons I was never comfortable around my teachers and could never fully trust them (that's me not them).. I think you owe it to yourself and your teacher to move on if it doesn't feel right (and you can't address the problem) because it's going to be a barrier to their teaching and your learning.

8. foxtrot

foxtrot New Member

I think that a good student doesn't expect to learn it all in the lesson. They can take information away, think about it, study it, and improve.

It is important that the teacher and student understand what works for them. I know that I am good at learning footwork and routines, and I have no problems reading the ISTD books, and so all I need initially in the lessons is to be shown the steps and then will go away and work on it. I know that posture, balance and general trust (physically allowing someone to lead me, relax in their hold) are a problem and so I have to work on that.

Mutual respect is important. Worst situation is when you think you have it, but then discover it wasn't really there on one side. Feelings can then get intensified. Been there, and will make sure it doesn't happen again.

9. Laurie

Laurie New Member

Very well-said wonderwoman and foxtrot. :)

10. wonderwoman

That's why I love coaching lessons esp w/ a teacher who focuses on a very particular thing.

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Amy, this is a good topic to raise, as it is not uncommon that a student will transition from one teacher at some time in his or her dance education, including at the same studio. Life is a series of comings and goings, and sometimes people move on.

12. Laurie

Laurie New Member

Ray, I have made transitions between teachers twice now. With a few things similar to Amanda's experiences.

13. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I find that there is some professional jealousy that goes on between instructors. In real life, they could all be great friends, but when it comes to teaching, each person says that they are absolutely correct and that the other pros are wrong (unless that other pro is someone that's high ranking). You just have to take it all in and decide for yourself what works for you.

14. wonderwoman

Huh. As far as I've seen pros seem to respect eachother and get along well.

15. Laurie

Laurie New Member

That's good. Like I remarked in the engagement ring thread, studios reflect everything that happens in life in general--but in microcosm, where perhaps some things get intensified, including the emotions associated with dance and being in someone's arms a lot as part of lessons.

16. wonderwoman

LoL Like high school or Facebook.

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

wonderwoman, that's an interesting way of putting it. Because the ever popular movies set in high school take place in a microcosm, such as Laurie described. The same can be said of several other genres of stories as well...

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Suggestion from Shandy

Shandy, thank you so much for the links to these "Len Goodman on Learning..." clips (by Len from DWTS). I am posting them for anyone who is interested here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1riYoX5vJjw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxCF8rydjqQ

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

determination

20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

amen