General Dance Discussion > What makes a good student?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Jan 1, 2005.

?

What Kind of a Dance Student Are You?

1. A Once-in-a-Lifetime Student!!!

30.4%
  2. Good Student

44.3%
  3. Average Student

10.1%
  4. Below Average Student

1.3%
  5. Trouble!!!

13.9%
  1. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

A good student appreciates that a teacher is a human being too-who also has good and bad days.

2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I found much of what Len Goodman had to say in these video clips helpful. Again, I am grateful to Shandy for providing these links to me. :cheers: :banana: :bouncy:

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I agree wholeheartedly...

4. tbayneil

tbayneil New Member

Come on now... I came in here looking for someone else wondering why you couldn't select both "once in a lifetime" and "trouble" simultaneously. She will plan and practice 3 hours a day just to make sure she's 10x better than me, and I'll text her two hours before the lesson with a crazy request just to throw her off plan.

There's a professional relationship... but the friendship relationship better be off the charts, too. It's driven both of us to improve ourselves immensely.

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If my pro had to work to stay BETTER than me, I'd definitely move on. (Given my pros, not a big worry.)

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yea...I work pretty hard and there is no doubt in my mind that I will die light years behind my pro in terms of skill...

but I have had the other scenario as well

7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I have gotten better at saying "I don't get it". I don't like feeling like a whiner, either, so that is a challenge for me...

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

The last few years, my level of practice has dropped, sometimes to the frustration of the coach. Other things have become the focus of my life, and I feel like I am mainly trying to maintain what I have learned...

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

This makes a heck of a lot of sense! When I have had two or more teachers/coaches at once, or have transitioned between two of them, I have sometimes found the "different route" a bit jarring. But after settling in with the successive teacher/coach, I felt more acclimated...

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Very good points... I like the challenge of seeing what I can do next...

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

When I first voted in the poll, I said "once-in-a-lifetime". That may have been true a few years ago. But as dance is not the main focus of my life anymore (school is right now), my mind is not on it except for a few hours during the week when we are practicing. And the practice time is not as intense nor as long as it once was. As with some things, this might just be a cyclic thing...

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

LOL--yeah, sometimes a person can be a little (or a lot) of both. Especially when both the pro and am have competitive fire in them... :)

13. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

We have to have some flexibility of the question. lol
    I can be a good one for a few months, and be a trouble one.

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Very true, dlgodud! :p

15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think a good student recognizes that they are adult learners and therefore can take an active part in the education process. Giving feedback about how we learn best and what we feel we need at different points in the dance lesson is important to be a good student. A teacher can't read minds so open, non judgmental communication on both sides is important.

16. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

what makes a good student? A good teacher.

m

17. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I don't practise as much as I should, but I am never late for class, I listen attentively to whatever the instructor has to say and tries to fix my weaknesses. I tend to demand a lot from the instructor though, because I try to improve myself as much as I can although my passion and all seemed to be easily dismissed by my instructor who treats it with indifference. He is the best dancer here and easily the best instructor one can find where I am at, but somehow he lacks the push/passion which I'd appreciate. Maybe he just somehow lost it after his partner went to further her studies and because of that, had stopped competitive dancing since then. I know for sure, that deep down he still wants to dance and compete, but he never found someone who was up to his par and I, for one, never found a way to reignite the fire in his heart.

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

debmc, madmaximus, and laucy.my: all good points... :cheers:

19. anametuer

anametuer Member

Never mind, you are perhaps still ‘once-in-a-lifetime’, Ray Sison!

Just think of giving a link of this thread to students as I feel it can be of immense value to many laggards like me!! Not exaggerating, but feeling motivated and many tips striking (right from page-1) and easy to follow…

An honest attempt to gain from the wisdom transpired here, I am sure would catapult one very much higher.

Just copy, paste in the comp the indicators and apply, not too difficult...

20. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

- Fun to work with, asking good questions, show steady improvement

Respectful

- Be on time for lesson, no last minute cancellation (if have to cancel, at least try to call 24 hours ahead of time)

- Not try to negotiate down lesson or pro-am pricing or deny paying floor fee for the teaching hour, if the teacher can afford the discount, he or she would agree to the student in the first place

- Try to promote the teacher to other potential students whenever possible;)