General Dance Discussion > What makes a good student?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Jan 1, 2005.

?

What Kind of a Dance Student Are You?

1. A Once-in-a-Lifetime Student!!!

30.4%
  2. Good Student

44.3%
  3. Average Student

10.1%
  4. Below Average Student

1.3%
  5. Trouble!!!

13.9%
  1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I appreciate those sentiments and that feedback so much, anametuer! Thanks!!! :cheers:

2. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I agree all other criteria, but not sure that this makes a good student of someone. Students are not salesmen for teachers, and don't get commission for that.
    It is a nice gesture of a student if she/he does that, but it should be appreciated by teachers, not expected, IMO.

3. richx

richx New Member

Good Student?

I am not sure ... I dance more than 10 hours each week, take private lessons from three instructors, question anything that does not make sense or feel right, or is in conflict with another instructor's comments. :doh:

I ask questions ranging from technical queries (rise, fall, footwork, position, lead issues) to why something is done. If I can get to the why - I often find out it all makes sense then. :)

I always start with the idea that if something is not going well it is my lead. Sometimes I am right about this:confused:, occasionally it is not me.

I have spent an hour with an instructor on one piece of a move - and will then go spend another hour on the same move with a different instructor.:headwall:

I will start to bring my frame bar to lessons again ... and will practice in a hot university room for a few hours alone - or with a partner.

I quit often ... but never miss a lesson.:car:

What IS a good student?

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Welcome to Dance Forums, richx! And it sounds like you are an example of a good student! :cheers: :applause: :cool:

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Great point, dlgodud! I do, myself, like to be a good reflection of the work of my teachers and coaches over the years--and that has been one of my motivations. And if they gain a student or two from that, that's great...

6. richx

richx New Member

Thanks ... some day, some day ......

7. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Welcome, richx! And as I have quoted above, I definitely agree with Ray Sison that you ARE an example of a good student! =)

8. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I think this is really the job of the teacher. If the teacher does a reasonably good job, word WILL spread! As one of my previous instructors likes to say, 'A satisfied customer is the best advertisement you can have'.

9. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say students should "promote" their teacher, but I feel like I should be a good example of my teachers' teaching ability. And THAT will promote the teacher. :)

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think this has been discussed in other threads...it needs to go both ways. If a teacher requires 24 hours notice of a student canceling, the teacher should also give the student 24 hours notice if the teacher has to cancel.

11. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

That’s right! Should be both ways! Last minute cancellation without proper notification is no good with either teacher or student.

At Sat evening studio party, good student sometimes would even pay the teacher for the party hour fees if the student has some emergency and have to cancel the party dance last minute. They feel bad the teacher reserve the prime party dancing time for them, and it’s almost impossible to find replacement students at very last minute.

12. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Sorry probably “promote” is the wrong word to use, I mean to spread good words of the teacher and recommend their friends to the teacher whenever possible, of course it is appreciated, definitely not expected.

13. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Because we have a long-distance setup, we have an agreement, which goes both ways, that if the weather conditions interfere with driving, we cancel (and when we have to cancel for weather, it usually happens on the day of the lesson).

14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

*bump*

15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I guess I am living proof. My teacher gave me a private; then it was an acquaintance of mine; then my best friend; then another friend...A satisfied customer is the best advertisement. As a student I am what my teacher makes me. I am my teacher's creation but my teacher was my choise in the first place so I chose him because I knew him and knew he was the ideal teacher for me.
    As to being the best student, I guess I am trouble. I am never late, I never skip classes, I am hardworking and try to practice. At the same time, I am the worst student ever. Dance is not just dance; dance is not just technique; dance is emotion, dance is an ideal world where everything is perfect. For that reason, my dance lesson is more than a lesson. It is always anything but. It's what transforms my life and it all starts from the classroom. So, teachers beware; I mean trouble. I'm just a perfectionist fighting with my own perfectionism and it all takes place there; inside the four walls of the classroom. It's a therapy session not a dance lesson. It takes a lot of nerves to be able to teach a student like that...A student for whom nothing is ever good enough.