Tango Argentino > What makes a milonga a milonga?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Jun 2, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Ok, I'm in a serious milonga mood tonight. The class before mine was an introduction to milonga and what fascinated me was that there was no explanation of how it differed from regular tango.

Everyone was supposed to figure it out by themselves. Obviously I can feel the difference and certainly hear it, but I couldn't quite explain it to someone who asked me.

At our milongas they play milongas every three or four sets and I adore it, but some people absolutely hate it...which camp are you in? Love 'em or hate 'em?

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

lovin the milonga

Don't know about the different styles of Milonga only that I can do some moves and not others. Milonga seems far more difficult than Tango simply because the speed of moves and the follower must be really good.
    My favourite Milonga tune is Il Trampera which reminds me of Charlie Chaplin and another is No Hay Tierra Como La Mia for its dramatic changes in pace.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Do you understand teh difference between a tango and milonga now, madamsamba?

A milonga has an underlying beat while a tango does not have. If you listen closely it is has the same structure as American tango basic beat, but just speeded up. I believe American tango was derived from the milonga. And you know what? I think I like milongas and vals better then tangos. :( I pick AT, the tough dance, and then like the tougher dances within that style!! :? :)

4. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hrmfff...Sagitta, I have to say, I'm a wee bit embarassed to have come off sounding so dumb. :oops:
    Perhaps I should have phrased it more eloquently...I know what milonga is (in both the social dance sense and the flavour of tango sense) but was trying to ask, aside from the obvious musical difference, what makes a milonga a milonga?

I've seen people dance alleged "milonga" style to tango and waltz, that lovely lilting, jiggy-type tango. What body movements set milonga apart from other dances? :oops:

5. Sagitta

It's just a matter of getting on the same page. I've looked and from what I saw last night I couldn't say. We'll see what I've learnt after my milonga workshop today, in a few minutes.

6. Sagitta

Okay this is what I've learnt from my milonga workshop by Robin and Jen from NYC....http:// w w w.close-embrace.com/main.html In my own words...I hope I got the gist of what they said...

Many AT dancers dance milongas like they do tangos. Milongo is an uniquque dance, different from tango and vals. Vals encorage turning, tangos pauses, and milongas staccato action. Milongas are all about playing with the rhythmn of the music. They have a playful quality to them. The staccato action is provided by the quicks interspersed with the slows, accomplished using hesitation or rock steps.

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I would add that Milonga has a more bouncy up and down movement, gets very playful with feints, a step lead then stopped halfway, as Sagitta describes as 'hesitation'. the music going so fast its handy to do repetiton of short sequences; ochos are pivot almost on the spot with very little step between; there is also an exaggerated step with leg forward and arm back, and a deliberate bounce now and again.

8. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Fully agree with you both. I have a friend who's excellent at milonga and he's soooo much fun to dance with. He glides, but, as BTM described, also bounces up and down...it's very cool.

Hey, Sagitta...how did you enjoy the milonga class?

9. Sagitta

Yup, I did. :) Robin and Jen are great teachers. Got to work on the staccato action though.