Swing Discussion Boards > what makes a routine a good show?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Apr 13, 2006.

1. luh

luh Active Member

thx for the good idea!
    luh

2. Whirling Dervish

Whirling Dervish New Member

I remember a dance partner I had in the 80s who wasn't much bigger than me. We couldn't do some of the lifts, etc., so were constantly criticized for "dancing too much." He used to be a gymnast, so we added some spotted floor exercise moves. It was a huge hit!

3. uncle joe

uncle joe New Member

A routine needs three parts; an introduction with partners moving gracefully but not too dramatic, a sort of him showing here in some dress whirling moves with him definitely focusing his attention on her - please no frozen smiles. if you are enjoying the dance, it will show..serious except in Tango is no no.
    The middle is more dramatic, more exciting with your best moves right up to the last four bars, and use those 16 beats to go into a flourishing finish with a final picturesque final pose held for a dramatic moment. Release the lady to one z]sider holding her hand do a subtle bow, pull her to the opposite side with a full turn or two, change hands and hold with opposite hands, and voila' you have the form at of a professional routine. I personally get physically ill when I see dancers pause in the middle of a routine begging for applause. Lots of luck!
    I gave an exhibition on and for my parents 50th anniversary in 1951, and I still feel the euphoria of that event.

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's how my Cha Cha solo is! Now I feel like I'm on the right track after reading your post. Thanks! Oh, but my Swing solo still needs work though lol, but I love to dance Swing! It is so fun! ;)