Tango Argentino > What makes a Teacher?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by UKDancer, Nov 23, 2010.

1. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I watched a man petting a cat once - with a flat hand he patted it on the head. I thought the cat looked irritated. If he didn't know how to give a cat a good petting (don't go there, guys), I wonder if he could be taught by explaining technique to him.

I think people could learn to give a good hug, but not by teaching them technique. You would need to open up their minds to a whole new awareness.

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

(becca this thread!)

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

merely me..tish :cheers:

4. Nathan

Nathan Member

Knowing where you want to end up isn't very helpful if you don't know a way to get there! You'll get lost.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

:lol:

i am the sweeper of the milonga dojo

6. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

What does that mean? :confused:

7. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I don't think this isn't such a bad thing. You're left with people who can, and are willing to learn and dance AT, difficult as it may be.

I think the teacher who keeps this up despite the high mortality rate, adds to "What makes a (AT) Teacher?" (IMHO)

8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I think she likes it.

[​IMG]

9. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I agree. AT requires devotion from both teachers and students.

The OP made a comment, if I recall correctly, that he wondered if a standardized teaching method would make the dance more accessible to more students. My point is that the nature of the dance means it is not easily accessible, and I wouldn't want to see a teaching method water down the dance for the sake of accessibility. Someone else made the point that that has already happened and it produced a different dance.

10. Mosca Negra

Mosca Negra New Member

And yet, I'm afraid that if I spend TOO much time thinking about technique, I will collapse in a fireball like Icarus, the boy who flew into the center of the sun with the wings his father made him. He melted.

11. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Here's my take on thinking about technique too much--> Click Here

As for being like Icarus, he met his demise because he did not heed his father's warnings about flying too close to the sun.

12. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Yes, the wings melted, not Icarus. And he fell into the sea, not into the center of the sun.

13. Nathan

Nathan Member

The other would've made for a more dramatic ending to the story, but alas, it happened the way it happened. :???:

14. bordertangoman

There was an Irish Icarus who tried to fly to the sun, but he was sensible, he flew at night....

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Reminds me of DH. In school (as a music/piano performance major) he was wary of having to take the theory classes. He was concerned that if he learned all the theory behind the music it would take away from his enjoyment and possibly make his playing more mechanical than artful. What he found was that the reverse is true.

Too much thinking (or teaching) about technique can impede dancing only to the extent that you allow it to, or only to the extent that you still have to be thinking about it all the time. But once learned, either by getting someone to understand how a good hug should feel or through the more mechanical aspects of describing arm positioning, it allows for so much more freedom. It allows you to do the things you want to do (or that your partner leads you to do) much more easily, and opens up more and more possibilities. ...so long as you learn the technique well enough to be able to stop thinking about it and still have it be present in your dacning.

16. bordertangoman

I AGREE having read a short history of the saxophone; what made Coltrane (and others) great was just having scales so intrinsic and fast that he played them as chords and could improvise around them. I practice hugs with my daughter; her embrace starts with a short charge....:D

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yeah, something I once heard co-Apple founder Steve Wozniak say (about his own ancestral group, and not Irish). He used to have a line in the Silicon Valley in Northern California that you could call in to hear his jokes that he recorded there...

18. larrynla

larrynla Member

Thinking about technique is a research tool. It helps you understand why something is a good idea or bad when performing an action. And it can help you figure out how to do better. (It can also screw you up, if the theory does not match reality.)

It's also a learning tool. It helps guide your actions while practicing.

But after a while it becomes part of your subconscious. You just automatically do something (well, if the theory was right;badly, if the theory was wrong). Thinking is a way station to intuition, to be put aside, or left to practice sessions.

This leaves you free to focus on more important stuff when you're at a milonga. Like feeling the music. And appreciating your partner. And having a good time.

19. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Re: good teacher

1) just read of the term Mushroom Management (kept in dark, fed on dung) in a forum about economics for the first time ....

2) a really good friend of mine, an uruguayan part-time tango teacher here in my town Hamburg celebrated his 60th birthday recently. Usually he is sneered at by the local tango teacher, which use to bask in the light of the flashy steps of their cool students. In contrast to this scene my friend only teaches social applicable tango in a community center. At his birthday celebration all those who consider themselves important came with their followers. But then, a very special piece of music was slipped into the playlist, a rare instrumental version of Adios Muchachos. And my friend laughed in his sleeve, cause all those stylists and show-offs hustled on the dancefloor while his brave and well trained students went to their seats....

20. Mosca Negra

Mosca Negra New Member

The Academia de danza Sonia, Oviedo danced rather nicely to Adios Muchachos - without laughter from the sleeves of the audience.