Tango Argentino > What makes AT fun for a beginning leader?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by salsera_alemana, Jan 11, 2007.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I find most tango singers dreadful for dancing to and I will leave the dance floor. I think that its a different genre and was never intended for dancing to.

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ooh, that's a bit tough. I don't organize my music that way. With some time, though, if you're still interested I could probably pull something together.

And, for the record, I disagree with bordertangoman (no offense, buddy) about songs with vocals being un-danceable.

Then again, it's exceedingly rare for me to consider anything un-danceable. I'll even dance to the stuff you're "not supposed to." (Piazzola, esp. Adios Nonino; Adios Muchachos)

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

not supposed to dance to piazzola???

why? i've seen gorgeous dancing to his orchestration.

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Is the Argentinian valse danced like a waltz or are the steps different, not normal waltz steps?
    There will be exceptions to everything I write. I'm ignoring all that other stuff.

Usually when you dance waltz you step on each of the three beats -
    1 23 1 23. You pretty much stay with the step step step pattern and follow
    the music.
    The most "basic step" in tango is walking together. If you walked together you could step on each of the beats as you do when you dance "regular" waltz.
    But, if you want to you could step only on the 1 of the 1 23, and pause for the 23. You could also use the amount of time it takes for the 1 in the music to not take a step, letting the energy between you build up. Then on the 23 do two quick steps.
    You could also step only on the 2 instead of the 1, pausing on the 3 and the 1.

Another basic tango thing is doing weight changes in place. Neither you nor your partner should move your feet when you do these. All of the above step on this beat rather than all three beat things can work with weight changes without moving a step.

Here's another courtesy of Komala and Steffan from Njmegen, Norway. (Norway?) If you use the 1-2-3-1-pause-pause as a resolution, the music sounds 'fresh' when you go on.

There are some examples of how tango vals can be different than waltz when doing something as basic as walking, or doing weight changes.
    Just think how many more there can be!

5. FTL

FTL New Member

Try Tanturi for tango vocals. It is more lively and your SO might like it. The last dance in Assssination Tango by Pablo Veron and Geraldine Rojas is a Tanturi song, Una Emocion.

Tangos which I think sound like and danceable as bolero don't have vocals. Check out Milonga del Angel and Oblivion by Piazolla.

6. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

The majority of original arrangements by Astor Piazolla (performed by Astor Piazolla) were more on the classical side, with a jazz twist. They were composed by him to be appreciated and listened to. Try listening to one of his albums with original arrangements, like "Tango: Zero Hour," to hear what we're saying. One exception would probably be "Vuelvo al sur." I dance to this one.

The Orchestrations you've heard were probably remakes, designed to be danceable . There are lots of them.

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Una Emocion is a quite wonderful exception, and I do like some of the Old World tangos sung in Russian, Polish, Turkish etc.

8. AATanguera

AATanguera New Member

Music: If depressing or the heaviness of some tango music is an obstacle to your husband’s interest in tango, certainly seek out the many wonderful, dramatic tangos, milongas, and valses that he is sure to love. What tango music gets him depressed? I assume you’re not referring to ballroom tango music which is nothing like Argentine tango music.

There are so many fabulous AT orchestras that it is impossible to list all the greats, but check out zivals aka the tangostore.com for the following random sampler of tunes that I bet you’ll both love:

Francisco Canaro milongas such as Milonga Criolla (with singer Roberto Maida); Milonga Brava (with singer Ernesto Fama); Reliquias Portenas; Silueta Portenas; No Hay Tierra Como La Mia; La Rumbita Candombe; Milonga del Corazon; Milonga Sentimental, etc. . . . the list is endless!

Edgardo Donato milongas: Ella Es Asi; Sacale Punta; La Milonga Que Faltaba

Juan D’Arienzo milongas: Milonga, vieja milonga; La Punalada; De Pura Cepa, etc.

Ricardo Tanturi with singer Alberto Castillo – Mozo Guapo and Mi Morocha

Angel D’Agostino & Angel Vargas (aka the two Angels)

Osvaldo Pugliese’s La Yumba, Gallo Ciego, Desde El Alma

Rodolfo Biagi’s El Recodo, La Viruta

Miguel Calo with singer Raul Beron

Check out the incredibly informative websites of Steven Brown in Texas or Keith Elshaw in Canada for exhaustive lists of tango music recommendations.

(2) How to Make It Fun For Your Husband: I agree that milonga and vals should make anyone smile, so if tango is depressing your hubby, those subcategories of tango surely should delight him. I now love milonga, vals, and tango in that order whereas when I started my preferences were in the reverse order. Unfortunately, for your hubby, milonga is freaking hard to learn!!! Although the fundamentals of tango and many tango steps are used in milonga and vals, these are distinctly different dances, and quite frankly, it just ain’t milonga or vals if you merely do tango steps to a milonga or vals. You can simply march your way through a milonga or do tango steps to milonga, but that’s just boring, and it ain’t milonga. The repertoire of distinctly milonga steps is so vast that the best milonga dancers never have to resort to using tango steps. Many students often learn tango for a year or two first and then go back to learn milonga. Because milonga can be so fast and complex (try doing crossing steps with a leader who doesn’t give you those contra-body chest leads – impossible), I think milonga is particularly difficult for leaders to lead well because the leader has to already understand how to be loose, relaxed, and not use one’s arms to lead milonga. Although I think your husband would love milonga, it is a bit much to ask a newbie to start with milonga, and it may turn him off to tango. Therefore, jumping right into milonga may not be the best solution for your husband.

Advice: If group classes are boring, frustrating, limiting, etc., take private lessons with the best authentic Argentine Tango teacher with whom you have the best connection. Take classes with as many different masters as you can get access to. Dance with as many different partners as possible to really learn to lead and follow. Listen to AT music all the time.

Good luck. AT truly is a divine dance.

9. Twirly

Twirly New Member

A bit harsh. Surely when you go to a milonga a large part of the music played (a majority?) have vocals?

Of course, I wouldn't dance to Carlos Gardel or other singers who did/do music for listening and not dancing. But maybe listening to it, if you like it, could be a good way to start appreciating tango music in general. And then you just have to get loads of tango music and listen to it all the time.

Personally I don't like dancing to modern orchestras so much, because the older versions tend to be so much more suitable for dancing.

10. Twirly

Twirly New Member

It's in Holland. Haven't been there myself yet, but it's a bit of a mecca for tango in Europe.

11. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Great music suggestions, AATanguera! Not a single tune in there that I don't love. I think for me Calo/Beron was the first traditional, vocal stuff I really liked. It's so lovely and romantic to dance to, which I guess makes it more accessible.

When it comes to milonga I still think it could be a good idea to start off by learning that rather than tango. Yes, you use different steps, but it's still based on walking. If you take one step per beat and focus on walking in different directions, leading/following and weight changes it could be a good start. Some music can even be used for both salsa and milonga, and many people use a lot of hip movement. So it would definitely be closer to salsa.

If people could learn milonga earlier perhaps they would appreciate the more rhythmic aspects of tango music and not just enjoy dancing sloooow to Piazzolla all the time. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it's not for me (except for once in a while with the right partner!).

12. Steve Pastor,
    Thanks for your detailed explanation of the valse steps vs. normal waltz. It sounds like, yes, it is kind of like waltz but one is very free when it comes to steps. I hope my husband will not make an immediate connection with normal waltz because he does not like to dance waltz.

AAtanguera,
    Thank you so much for all the music suggestions. I will check them out. I have been listening to the tango station at batanga and to the 2x4 tango station. The good thing about batanga is that they state the song title, the artist and the CD. So when I like a song I can check the artist and the name of the song.

I hope by dancing to tango music he will find songs that he kind of likes, i. e. that via the challenge to learn this dance and actual dancing it he will get a connection to the music. So far his comment to the music from the above radio stations still is that the music gets him depressed.

We'll see how it goes. Our class starts in about 10 days.

13. jhpark

jhpark Member

I think there's a wide variety of non-depressing tango music. Quinteto Pirincho (a quintet organized by Canaro, I think) has lots of upbeat, very fast tangos and milongas that are very nice to dance to.

However, one of the things that draws me to tango is that it encompasses sadness and depression in the music and allows for it in the dancing, where a dance like swing doesn't. I'm not sure whether salsa does or not. And I think a lot of people who are drawn to tango have a sense of profound sadness in their lives... but I don't know that that would be a requirement for enjoying the dance

14. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Hi Salsera Alemana,

The tango music played on most radio stations, including Batanga, is NOT music that is played for dancing in a milonga, but music that is mainly for listening. That is why they tend to play a lot of Piazzolla and modern day singers. Try to seek out some proper tango dance music and keep trying until you find something you like. It normally takes a while for you to really get into it, at least it did for me, but now I listen all the time and I like the music at least as much as I like the dance. You just need to give it some time.

Good luck!

15. Twirly,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I didn't know that what they play on batanga is mostly for listening. I am pretty sure that he will not like Piazzola, even I cannot get into Piazzola's music, it is too shrill.

jhpark,
    Like swing salsa does not allow for anything sad or depressing, it is very happy! When you are depressed and you need to get into a better and lighter mood, go to a salsa venue :)

16. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

salsera_alemana

Why don't you try this internet radio station. It has a good mix of danceable, and listening type of tango music.

http://radiotango.com/

17. Ampster,

Thanks so much for this link, will add it to my Favorites and will listen to it.

Two days ago my hubby came home and had bought me new loudspeakers for my laptop so I don't have to borrow his when listening to Internet radio stations in the family room/kitchen, hehe.

18. Ampster,

How can I get this website to play music? My audio is working fine, tested it with another station, I enabled all popups for this site, tried to click on "Listen Now 128kbps" but it remains mute.

19. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I normally play it through either iTunes as a data stream. Here's a link (of the same station) that you save to the desktop that will enable it to play on iTunes: http://streamstation.radiocubik.com:8000/listen.pls

20. Ampster,
    Thanks for this link. Had no idea what iTunes was, just figured that out in Google. Don't know yet if I want to install this program just to listen to one station. I hope I can find another way.