Dance Articles > What makes dancers more desirable?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Porfirio Landeros, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

What makes dancers more desirable?
    Symmetrical bodies play principal role, scientists say

By Ker Than
    LiveScience
    Updated: 10:13 p.m. ET Dec. 21, 2005

Many people are attracted to hot dancers, and a new study suggests part of the reason is because their bodies are more symmetrical than those of the less coordinated.

The researchers found that men judged to be better dancers tended to have a higher degree of body symmetry, a factor that has been linked to overall attractiveness and health in other research.

The new study involved 183 Jamaican teenagers, ranging between 14 and 19 years old, who danced while their movements were recorded using motion-capture cameras similar to those used in video games and movies to give computer-generated characters fluid movements.

Women watching the recordings preferred the dances of men who were more symmetrical, while men were more impressed by the dances of more symmetric females.

Women are pickier
    Interestingly, the male preference for symmetric females was not as strong as that of the female preference for symmetric males. This seems to confirm the theory that women are pickier when selecting a mate, since they bear most of the burden of raising a child, the researchers say.

According to the researchers, their study is the first of its type.

Regular videotape or film can't separate the dance from what the people look like, said study member Lee Cronk, an anthropologist at Rutgers University in New Jersey. "With motion capture, we can do that and get just pure dance movements."

All of us have asymmetries in our bodies. The index finger on one hand might be longer than the other, for example, or the left foot may be slightly larger than the right. Researchers call these fluctuating asymmetries, or FA.

According to one hypothesis, FA is an indicator of an individual's ability to cope with the stresses and pressures associated with body development.

"As you're developing, all sorts of things come at you, like diseases and injury," Cronk told LiveScience. "If you're able to develop symmetry despite all of that, then that would indicate to others that you have what it takes to make a go of it in that environment."

Body advertising
    A high degree of body symmetry serves as a subtle advertisement of genetic quality and health, the thinking goes.

While most people don't go around measuring and comparing body parts of potential mates, it's thought that we pick up on these cues subconsciously. The idea that there is an association between body symmetry and health comes from various animal and human studies. Pea hens and barn swallows prefer males with more symmetrical tails. One study found that women experience more orgasms during sex with male partners whose features are more symmetrical, regardless of the level of romantic attachment or the sexual experience of the guy.

What's any of this got to do with dancing?

The researchers speculate that higher body symmetry might also indicate better neuromuscular coordination. This may influence dance ability, because attractive dances can be more rhythmic and more difficult to perform.

The study, led by William Brown of Rutgers, was detailed in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature.

© 2005 LiveScience.com. All rights reserved.

© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10561755/from/RS.4/

2. gracie

gracie Active Member

Very interesting. I've read studies before relating symmetry to perception of beauty and mate selection.

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I guess if a guy can move his hips well....*LOL*

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you always know where to find certain DF members dont you?;)

5. diputs

diputs New Member

I notice that you found your way here as well!

6. Medira

Medira New Member

He's got a good point, ya know...

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

As does she! :lol:

8. fascination

past five posts...five cases in point;)

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

So my question is about body symmetry. Which came first, the symmetry or the dancing? (I hope I'm making sense. :? )

10. gracie

gracie Active Member

There is a prof. international latin lady who has scoliosis (curvature of the spine). She looks assymetric from the back at least in low cut costumes. It is primarily in the upper back affecting the rib cage. From what I have seen it doesn't affect her hip movement. She wins.

11. fascination

I think the symmmetry...IMO

12. diputs

diputs New Member

I disagree. IMO.

How many m's in symmmetry?

13. fascination

as many as I want:tongue:

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Didn't you read the article diputs? Symmetrical = mmm, hence: symmmetrical! :wink:

15. fascination

there ya go...my hero...

16. fascination

like 38 27 39...close enough

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I guess I meant does dancing help people develop more symmetrical bodies, or are symmetrical people disproportionately attracted to dancing as a sport?

Edit: Or neither, or both. :lol:

18. fascination

I think symmetrical people are more attracted to it...from what I have seen ...but I guess it depends on what you mean in that I think athat is only true of people who dance alot...and ofcourse as you say...if they wrent symmetrical to begin with...they're gonna get a whole lot closer....but it seems to me that people who are fit are drawn to things that are physical...and people who are fit tend to be more symmetrical ...maybe?...have to think about this more....

19. HF

HF New Member

From what I have read I think they have confused cause and effect. Which is typical for modern materialism, at least this is what I think.

Certain forms of dancing can make a body more symmetrical. Think about balance, straightening the spine, using rip cage movements. If you dance in young age it will definetely influence how the bones and muscles grow.

What they have found experimentally is evident: 1. A person that can use the own body is more attractive. 2. Dancing ability and body symmetry seem to be correlated somehow.

Their conclusions seem to be: Body symmetry is the driving force behind dance ability and partner attraction. It must be so if you watch the world from a strictly socio-darwinistic point of view. Body, genes and measures are everything and rule everything.

But I strongly disagree, from my scientific point of view and from my feeling as a human being. Modern quantum mecanics has shown that materia is not the foundation of everything but an expression of energy, and both come from something we call potentiality. Whatever this may be. But looking for purely mechanical explanations of abilities is typical for the world view of the 19th century ...

20. fascination

excellent point...I think I need a re-read