Dance Articles > What makes dancers more desirable?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Porfirio Landeros, Dec 22, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep. Good points, HF. :) I also wonder if there are some variables that weren't considered (perhaps because they're not easily measurable.) For example, what about self-confidence? I've seen a lot of people start to "walk tall" both figuratively and literally, after they start to dance. Surely that must impact their attractiveness.

2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Good point.
    Also, in dancing, you work both sides evenly when warming up, stretching, etc. You may start out with a weaker left side, but if you keep working both sides, you must be promoting symmetry.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Or how about this what if? What if the correlation is because of a fixation, among dancers, on body-image? So attractive people self-select and keep dancing, while less attractive (presumably asymmetrical) people give up and quit. Ooh. Not so pleasant, but also possible. :?

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think so....

5. Cobra Jazz Dance R

Cobra Jazz Dance R New Member

But does she get dates? I believe that is the question! (unless, of course, she is married, or otherwise "off the market")

6. Laura

Laura New Member

Definitely possible.

A thought did cross my head with respect to Standard dancing, though: it's HIGHLY asymmetrical.

7. alemana

alemana New Member

the self-selection thing in the dance community is completely true. and not at all surprising.

8. Adenaida

Adenaida New Member

Jacob Baron

What a night! Jacob Baron is such a great dancer. He really knows how to move. I could hardly keep up with him; his energy seemed to be completely inexhaustible. At one point in the evening, people actually gathered in a ring around us while we danced and cheered on his incredible dance steps! I couldn’t believe it. I had the best time, all the ladies there wanted to be the lucky one to dance with Jacob next. They were “chomping at the bit” to get their turn around the dance floor with him.

9. alemana

alemana New Member

10. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I don't think you'd come to that conclusion observing my dance scene! Just kidding! Of course, ballroom is a different scene from clubs. It's true that a new arrival will be asked to dance a lot the first time she shows up if she is young and attractive. But, if she can't dance, she won't be asked again, no matter how symmetrical she is.

11. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Ditto...:confused:

12. Mr. Dance

Mr. Dance New Member

If a guys physique isnt as described in that statement when he does start dancing, I cant imagine it taking very long to get there. Dancing is such great exercise and definately a good work out.

I think it prudent as well to mention that not all guys are perfectly shaped or proportioned but still can look smooth as silk on the dance floor. Some just arent your typical height and weight for whatever reason and may never be but they still put in the hours and dedication to make themselves the best they can be. As I mentioned though above, the more one dances and perfects his art, the more in shape he will become. Perhaps not the perfectly proportioned man but still one to behold in someone eyes Im sure ;)

13. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

I'm with the two of you on this one. [​IMG]

14. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

uh huh. very true. In fact some of my favorite dancers to watch are not your stereotypical "perfect-looking" dancers.

I would also like to hope that this holds true for ladies as well, since someone did once tell me (and only a few months ago) that I did not look like a dancer at all..... and this was comming from a dancer who was much more advanced than I was. I would like to think that they would at least think that I "dance" like one, lol.

15. Sabor

Sabor New Member

assumption:
    if two dancers are equal in every which way except that one is a lean great physique and the other is not ..
    the former wins..
    that's what it comes down to..

other than that its all relative and non-specific.

16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Me too....

(Interesting having 2 topics running side by side in 1 thread..;-) )

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Succintly put!

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

what makes dancer more desirable....golly, that fact that they dance...beyond that, fit is attractive...that is all...IMO

19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I have to disagree with you. I think that for me, I make sure to tell everyone that I am new to dancing, and they have fun teaching me new moves. So, it's not that I can't dance, but I haven't learned how to yet. I mean I have to an extent, but I haven't even performed my first show. So, you could look at that different ways. It could be that the girl, while being pretty, just needs to be taught instead of criticized about her dancing.

P.S. I'm still being asked to dance.

20. Mr. Dance

Mr. Dance New Member

Most definately if a lady were to ask me to dance, whether I had seen her dance already or not, I'd would have to tell her that I am somewhat of a beginner so she knows right up front what the expectations are. I know I would appreciate the same courtesy if I asked a lady to dance, not because I would look down or not dance at all because they are a beginner..but because I thinks its just polite and makes a good ice breaker to let someone know if you're a beginner or not.