Dance Articles > What Makes Elite Ballroom Dancers Better?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by vcolfari, Dec 5, 2013.

1. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

A new time-motion analysis reveals fascinating details about top-ranked ballroom dancers' turns.

http://bit.ly/193H6OA

SDsalsaguy likes this.
  2. bookish

bookish Active Member

Full text available online: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3796842/

Interesting study although they obviously focused on one very narrow aspect of dancing.

It was not immediately obvious what they meant when saying that top couples were faster during turns. Apparently they were referring to speed of travel across the floor, not rotational speed. Lower-ranked dancers in particular slowed down their forward progress when doing reverse turns around curves (which is not a huge surprise).

SDsalsaguy likes this.
  3. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

OMG. Study about ballroom in kinetics.

4. sprulsheryf

sprulsheryf New Member

Cool! The grace that these people have is the best.

5. RainbowConnection

RainbowConnection New Member

It's really astounding, right?

6. Justindai

Justindai New Member

7. Kelly Long

Kelly Long Member

While I find this article interesting, I disagree with the measurement methods. The speed and trajectory of turns is of course important, but what about when a couple turns really fast and can't control the turn? Sheer trajectory and speed measurement does not show the complete picture. I think the true top couples have technique, togetherness, charisma, floor presence, grace, body position, etc. that all work together for the complete picture. Just my thoughts :)

tangotime and Angel HI like this.
  8. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

My entire career has been devoted to this... not just in the case of turns, but in the overall of dance. There is a book and teaching course (currently in reprint and available only online) called "DanceKinesis: The Missing Dimension in Dance Movement". I, and it, teach/es dance from the standpoint of natural/kinesthetic movement rather than a defined step/pattern. It is quite awakening/enlightening. I must agree w/ Kelly that speed/trajectory are but 2 elements of the whole concept.

9. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Of course you can't measure everything via these measurements (chemistry between partners/audience, etc). However, it is quite likely that they were able to measure control by measuring how well the couple was able to stop, how quickly they were able to stop, and what the degrees of rotation in the turn were. After all, control of movement means controlling speed and trajectory.

10. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I don't 100% agree with you...if a couple can't control their turns, they won't be able to repeatedly dance them on a straight trajectory with rotational speed...making the study's choice of measurement a quantifiable, indirect way of measuring many of the things you mention.