Tango Argentino > What may be the reason?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by opendoor, Sep 8, 2009.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Some couples I learnt from alow filming (Karin&GustavoVidal, Ruben&SabrinaVeliz), others don´t (Gisela&SergioMolini). And, it is no question of the qualitiy of their teaching.

What may be the reason for this? Any suggestions?

2. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

Control of public image. Retaining trade secrets.

Let's say you do a rubbish demo, why would you want it plastered all over Youtube without your consent? It will be seen by people, and you could lose future customers.

3. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Most teachers I've been with allow filming, but they often say "for private use only" - because amateurish-quality videos of them are not good adverts if plastered on Youtube.

There may also be a IP protection element, but that said, I think people are far too sensitive about the whole "trade secrets" stuff - it's not what you do that's valuable, it's how you do it. I can take a picture of the Mona Lisa, that doesn't make me a great painter.

4. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I provide a specific time/s for filming. I do not allow general filming for the following reasons:

1. I do not wish everyone's idea of what of me is appropriate to potentially be spread around the community or the world. I reserve that right.
    2. Most importantly, general filming inhibits freedoms. Someone who might not wish to be filmed might be caught in the background, or I might be caught scratching an itch in a place that I do not wish immortalized on film.

I wish to be free to move about the class uninhibitedly, and instruct in whatever means I feel necessary. Again, I will provide a time for filming at which I, and others, am/are aware that filming is occuring, and we may act/react accordingly.

5. Me

Me New Member

I guess we are all being seen... whatever... but I don't like it when people just film w/out asking permission, and then go post it somewhere w/out asking permission. But, what can you do about it? Nothing, really...

When the television station comes for a visit, they announce themselves and carry nice professional cameras... You know at least know you are being filmed, and you at least know the film quality will be somewhat okay-ish. What stinks is when you are out dancing and somebody whips out their camera phone and films w/out you even knowing it, and slaps it up on Youtube later, all grainy and dark... This has happened more than once and I don't like it. But, what to do about it? Nothing, really.

So, I can understand why somebody who is in control of the environment, say in a teaching position, will request no filming. When you are exhibiting or dancing socially, you really have no control over that environment.

But, that is my opinion. I am one of these people who really hates it when somebody snaps a party picture and puts it up in their Facebook and tags it, w/out my permission.

6. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Me, on Facebook you have control over who can or cannot tag you.

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Indeed, so much rubbish is spread over YT, but, these teachers believe they redeem the world with it.

Thanks for all replies !

F.i. I like how they share their teaching (though not much of their lesson is seen)