Tango Argentino > What other tangoey dances do you do?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Nov 10, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Here in Australia we've got a style called New Vogue and there are three dances in particularly, Tango Terrific, La Bomba and the Tangoette, both which use a standard ballroom tango beat.

They're like a Claytons tango _ a tango you're not having when you're having a tango. They're nice for a bit of fun, but they're hardly the real thing and are very dramatic.

In your neck of the woods, are there any tango type dances that aren't tango, but are danced to a tango beat?

2. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

I don't know anything about tango. But I'm curious about the dance you call Bomba.

Last summer I tried to learn an afrocuban dance called Bomba (at a alsa class where we tried to find the rythm). I do not remember what kind of beat there was. If it was anything like tango or salsa or what? Can it be the same dance or are there several dances called Bomba?

This dance was a "semioriental" version of shacking & swinging your behind. (of course it was not an oriental dance. It just reminds me of oriental bellydance).

I really want to know because I'd like to learn more. This dance would be wonderful when there is time for shines in Salsa.

/Luc

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Hi Luc:

I think that bomba actually is a Peurto Rican music/dance style. I have provided a link but cannot verify as to how correct the info is as I am busy at work now. You probably will get a lot more info if you post your "bomba" question in teh salsa forum.

http://www.salsaroots.com/bombanew.htm

4. Sagitta

5. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Thanks Sagitta!

You are great. Always on-line and always time for some nice words. I'll check the links

/Luc

6. Sagitta

You are welcome Luc, as always. - :D I go through phases of doing different aspects of dance and different types of dance. Since my salsa dancing got messed up yesterday during my advanced rueda session and therefore afterwards at the dance I'm thinking of doing more reading up on Salsa and also doing some more of the other dances:swing, tango, ballroom...

7. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

I like the tango rhythm dances! Took me a very long time to get the right attitude and dramatics that go with them (there was a stage where I refused to dance them socially because I hated them :lol: ) but once I did, I learnt to enjoy them for what they are.

Im interested to know how they compare to AT. Im looking at taking some classes in it when I break from my current classes..

8. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Sagitta, wow, I didn't even know there was a dance called bomba! Thanks!

La Bomba is totally different. It's a dramatic, sequenced New Vogue dance (old-time, sequenced style unique to Australia). It's fantastic. I think I shot some poor, mobile-phone quality La Bomba at the Australian Champsionships last weekend. I'll dig it up and put it up, but it's a very cool dance.

It's strong, not light like AT, but dramatic and robust. Acutally, intense is a better word!

Here's a link to the steps but, I fear, it's something you've got to see in action to understand. I never can understand these instrctions.

9. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Shydancer, it's totally different. In fact, there's absolutely no comparison except for the fact that it's done to tango music. Even then, as you'd know, La Bomba can't be done to all tango music. You need something intense and dramatic, like the dance itself.

AT is improvised and, as mentioned above, light and fluid and, when it works, it's like floating but then, I suppose all dances, when done well feel pretty much the same way.