Tango Argentino > What Shoes?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by aimerrouge, Feb 27, 2008.

1. aimerrouge

aimerrouge New Member

I am starting tango classes this week.

I have taken salsa classes and have dance shoes. I prefer the lower heeled Latin shoes (anywhere from a half inch to two and a quarter inches). Can I use those shoes or must I get a pair of higher shoes?

(I am a woman. :smile:)

2. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Sure, you can use these shoes. Two and a quarter inches is a good heel height for a start. That is what I started Tango in.

I still wear my old Latin/"regular" dance shoes for lessons and practice sessions occasionally. No problem.

3. bastet

bastet Active Member

You'll be fine with the salsa shoes for now...they even have lower heel tango shoes...below 2.5"...so you don't have to feel like you HAVE to get 3" heels or higher. There's a few perfectly respectable lower heel shoes out there so don't be afraid to ask around when if you decide you eventually want tango shoes too.

4. MaggieB

MaggieB New Member

I agree, your salsa shoes should be fine for now. Find out if you want to stick with tango and THEN invest in a good pair of tango shoes.

I just cannot dance tango in very low heels or flat shoes because I need the heels for my embellishments and sliding on the inside of... otherwise I just cannot tango!

But that's just me, we have super experienced tango dancers that always wear a shorter heel and look magnificent!

So YOU decide what is best for YOU!

5. aimerrouge

aimerrouge New Member

Do you know any brands of lower heeled tango shoes?

Thank all you for your responses.:smile:

6. MaggieB

MaggieB New Member

Let me suggest Tara Tango shoes... http://www.22tangoshoes.com/
    They are very well made, and have a variety of lower heeled shoes that are still stylish. No stilettos here! They were my first splurge when starting out and I wore them everywhere, even in classes! No affiliation, I just don't think you can go wrong with them.

I wear the stiletto Comme il Fauts now but worked up to them. But I have to say that even they have come out with a few lower heeled models that I can comfortably suggest to our new dancers. The problem with CIF is that they do not allow pics on the interner which makes it so much harder to buy... I suggest you make sure to see and try them on somewhere first.

7. bastet

bastet Active Member

Sure- the lady at Diva-Boutique designs a line of 2" heeled shoes. They are quite comfortable and well made. Just call her to make sure she has it in stock. Tara tango is also a possibilty. Good shoes, but the styling is a little too traditional for my liking. But Diva-Boutque sells Tara's as well as her own designs (and Comme Il Faut and NeoTango).

http://www.diva-boutique.com/

There are drop down boxes to look at sizes, makers, etc. to help narrow your search. She's got some really pretty limited edition low heels in metallic print leathers right now.

8. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I buy my wife's (and my) Tango shoes here: http://darcostango.com/

9. bastet

bastet Active Member

That's true- Darcos is pretty good. It's about a 6 week to 8 week wait to get them. Measure your feet very correctly and don't skimp on the measurement. Most people have found Darcos run about 1/2 size larger than their normal street shoe.

10. aimerrouge

aimerrouge New Member

I am still looking at the websites. Thanks and send more.

I have another question: are the soles of "tango" shoes studier than "salsa" shoes?
    In other words, what are the actual physical differences, in any, between the 2 types of shoes?

11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Heels help. I know that as a guy I feel better dancing i shoes than flip flops...at thsi beginner dancer stage.

12. bastet

bastet Active Member

I think there may be some other threads with this information in it but I'll give a quick recap from what I have experienced...you might try searching the threads for more info.

The ballroom shoes I have all have suede soles. The suede is very soft for gripping the floor.

Tango shoes can have either a full leather sole or a suede half sole, but I have seen some full suede as well. The leather soles come in raw leather, which is a little softer and more satin-y feeling than hard leather (Tara shoes sometimes have this type sole and sometimes the hard shiny sole) and of course, the hard shiny leather you get on a street shoe. The soles are thinner than a street shoe for flexibility and comfort while dancing.

The leather/chromo half sole you get on some tango shoe brands is usually a little bit smoother and stiffer than the kind I get on my ballroom shoes. Often, with the ballroom shoes I have now and have had in the past, the suede is very soft and nubby, very easy to scrub up to create friction with the floor...And conversely, most of the leather/chromo half soles I have had on my Tango shoes have the stiffer, grainy suede that has a medium grit to it and isn't all soft with nubby bits on it....(I hope that makes sense) so that I find it a little tougher wearing than the ballroom suede.

As for heel placement and so forth...I am pretty sure salsa shoes are supposed to pitch you forward (correct me if I am wrong- I know ballroom Latin shoes do), and tango shoes will as well if they are much over 2.5".

13. aimerrouge

aimerrouge New Member

I know no one asked, but...

I contacted the Tango group here in the city and they strongly recommend closed toes shoes for beginners.

So it looks like I'll be purchasing some closed toe shoes though I prefer open toe.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. :smile:

14. MaggieB

MaggieB New Member

The reason they are recommending closed toed shoes is so that you don't get them stepped on without protection!
    I NEVER bought closed toes ones as I don't like them! I survived....
    Buy the shoes that feel good on your feet and bring a smile to your eyes... they will make your lessons and dancing more enjoyable! The HECK with practicality! LOL

15. bastet

bastet Active Member

You might also consider a compromise...peep toes...I think the only reason someone would recommend close toes is becuase the beginner guys might be more apt to step on feet for a while :rolleyes: and close toes will protect you...goodness knows I wear more peep toes shoes now than ever before. ;)

One thing to keep in mind, is that most people fit their ballroom shoes kind of tight...and you defintiely don't want to buy anything you feel like you are "squeezing" your foot in to...for me, if they feel right on the first wearing, they'll keep feeling good. I won't "getused" to them...so comfortable, not loose and not squeezing either.

The close toe thing is a little bit of a fallacy IMO, tradition probably...some people's toes (like mine) won't accomodate close toes, but I have no problem with a peep toe shoe.

Example:

My Pony Print COmme Il Faut shoes:

Attached Files:

16. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

I agree that the necessity of having closed toe shoes (for beginners) is overstated, but not a bad idea. As other commentators have said - go with what's right for you. I could never wear higher than a 2" heel and feel comfortable but currently I can manage 3.2" Comme il Fauts! High heels aren't essential - I've heard a lot of people say that and it's nonsense. I can't salsa in my CIFs (well, comfortably) probably because they help place your weight over the front part of your feet and for spinning you need to be very straight?

I found this blog useful in choosing shoes http://tangoshoedivas.com/shoedivas/

She's a shoe addict so you can learn from her experience at no cost!

17. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Oh: one for the Comme il Faut fans; Diva Boutique seems to have some new designs in stock but they all have suede soles! Bit of a worrying trend for me as I hate tango-ing in suede soles :cry: I'd be curious to know if there was some technical reason for this??

18. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Oh, Light Sleeper, thanks for drawing my attention to that. I noticed the new models, but didn't even think of looking at the description of the soles, assuming that they are all leather, as usual. Full suede soles? Might it be some mistake?

I ' ve danced tango in suede soles. It's not that bad. Suede tends to be more flexible, that allows more articulation for the foot. Also, can be handy when you get a slippery floor... but we don't get much of those kind around here. So far I prefer leather soles for my tango shoes.

19. bastet

bastet Active Member

I saw that too and thought maybe it was a mistake...???? But I have enough CIF right now so I haven't asked about it...I also prefer leather soles for my tango shoes. It's rare I get on a floor that's slippery enough to need the suede ones.

20. Me

Me New Member

CIFs with sueded bottoms? Oh please tell me that is a mistake.