Tango Argentino > What should I look for in AT shoes?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Luvs2Lindy2, Feb 14, 2007.

1. spectator

spectator Member

i just went mad and ordered a pair of comme il fauts from diva designs.... my heart is still racing.... I can't believe I just spent £130 ($260 - i have to pay duty :( ) I had to order them from the US cos they don't sell them in a size 34 in London. i feel like i've just run up a hill... this is the most i've ever spent on one item of clothing/footwear... i just hope to god that they fit!!!!!!!!

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Assuming they fit, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Except that you might just find yourself with a new addiction.

3. spectator

spectator Member

I think that is a very dangerous thought...
    hmm my rent is £475-what a waste, if I down size to sleeping on a friends sofa I could afford to by 1 pair a month....

4. Peaches

Priorities, chica. It's all about the priorities...

5. bastet

bastet Active Member

Where is Diva designs??? That is a big chunck of change since I know y'all have to pay duties on items over a certain amount.

I reecently went insane and got not one..but 2 pairs. I sold several pairs of shoes that I wasn't wearing to do it and really pared my shoes down to my absolute must haves. Now I begin the process again. What else do I have that I can sell to save up for just ONE more really over-the-top pair? Surely I don't need all those lampwork tools? Maybe I can sell a few of those too! :D

6. Twirly

Twirly New Member

You know, you can get flights to Buenos Aires for around £500 from London if you plan a bit in advance... Once you're there everything is super cheap, and gorgeous shoes under £50 a pair!

Time to start saving... patience is your friend... :)

7. Peaches

No kidding.

Or...better option...find people who are going to BsAs shortly, and ask one of them to go shopping for you. *whistles and bats eyelashes innocently* This would be much easier if I could figure out what shoe size I've got.

8. spectator

spectator Member

£90 for the shoes... £15 for the shipping, VAT £18, Duty (15% of goods and shipping) £15, courier admin charge (i dearly hop there isn't one!)

Shipping in the US is half price because of a promotion so it might be worth a look for you?
    I think Diva is in Florida and chicago.

9. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

My Favourite Tango Shoes

Happen to be my flat ballet pumps. Apart from the short stint at catwalk modelling way back, me and high heels are today sworn enemies. Two years ago when I started dancing AT I did all the things that were expected of me. I bought the low-back dresses and heeled shoes. Earlier this year at a milonga I found myself kicking off the shoes (not so much from the discomfort and slight pain but more from the sense of tight enclosure surrounding the feet and toes). The following day I went to the wonderful dance shop, Bloch in Covent Garden (London) and purchased a pair of jazz ballet pumps. And I have never looked back. The dresses are now replaced by halter-tops and wide baggy legged dance pants. Yes, I have to remain on my toes with the heels lifted throughout (easy given my jazz/ballet background) but also helps to improve the balance, strength in the calves and, note Ladies, a good thigh toner. AND!! Several guys have commented how different/improved/freer my dancing has become especially when dancing the nuevo style.

10. spectator

spectator Member

OOOh they are sending the shoes through Royal mail... if I'm lucky and the post office is being casual (so far RM has never checked duty etc on my internet shopping...) I won't have to pay the taxes!!! Hooray!!
    Oh I can't wait for my shoes to arrive I'm so excited!
    I also ordered some from Tango-wear a few weeks ago, they are beige pony skin (i think it's print not an actual pony...) with a stiletto heel and electric pink T bar, strap and edging. They will tide me over until my Comme il fauts arrive! And they also come in proper sizing so I can see if ordering a 34 from CiF was a mistake... but I think it should be ok.... as long as the heel and the arch are well positioned so my foot doesn't slip forward...

11. bastet

bastet Active Member

I think we've got a little more leeway over here on internet shopping. Generally you don't have to pay taxes on purchases under $200 or something like that...at least that's what I recall.

Hope the shoes fit! I have a friend who is very tiny and wears a 4 in Comme il Faut shoes...I always think...how can anyone BE that tiny!? They're like little toy shoes!

12. spectator

spectator Member

13. jfm

jfm Active Member

Is it just me or are the new darcos a bit on the crappy side?
    My old ones are great- they look and feel excellent and people often think they are CiFs but they cost £30. My newer ones-which i love, just aren't quite as good, the balance, the quality... and they cost £50. Prices are now £100 but they don't look to be anywhere ner the quality they used to be. Any one else finding this?

14. bastet

bastet Active Member

That was, unfortunately, my latest assesment of them. They seem to have stopped using the nice padding they had before (but so have a lot of others) but I just wasn't thrilled with the last pair I got last year. I'm not wasting any more money on shoes I'm not sure about. I know CiF feels good and has great balance. I'll just keep saving my pennies up for those. :tongue: Maybe they'll put the padding back in their shoes too one day!

I'm feeling a little better about the Tara's I bought, though the style I have runs a little narrow. Platforms take some serious breaking in, it seems, but I like the effect (I'm short) so maybe I can get used to them an not have to sell them because my feet are a little wide for them. They are sooo pretty!

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You could always get these:
    www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=406419&deptid=2227&catid=2368&subcatid=2370&previousURI=/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/shelf?page=2^startpage=1^deptid=2227^catid=2368^subcatid=2370^Brand=-1

16. Peaches

Ya know, I used to really want a pair of Tara's (they have/had a couple of polka-dot pairs, and I'm an absolute sucker for polka dots), but I'm now so wary of trying them. Between problems that others have reported, and you saying they run narrow... And I don't think I'd ever want a platform dance shoe.

Like you said, I know CiF's fit well and feel great. I'm sticking with them. I just wish, sometimes, they had more traditional and conservative styles. I like the old fasioned/retro look. Especially with polka dots!

17. jfm

jfm Active Member

hmmm in AT we want our weight forward over the balls of our feet! That's why we can wear such high heels!

Maybe those inserts would be good for ballroom etc?

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Eh, fine by me. Keep your bunions and hammertoes if you want.

19. bastet

bastet Active Member

A well fitting pair of shoes shouldn't cause foot problems. It's the wearing of too tight, ill fitting shoes that does. Too tight, too small shoes cause the toes to be squeezed together (like a cast on your foot!) and the feet to hang over the insoles and at some point, you'll get foot problems. I tend to opt for tango shoes that are a comfortable fit now, rather than the way I used to get my latin shoes.

If you want to put inserts in them, you may have to go a little bigger so they aren't tight when the inserts are there.

I've heard really mixed reviews on Tara now. It could just be the style I chose was cut narrowly. SOme of the styles don't look cut narrow. Luck of the draw, I guess. Wish I'd spent mroe time trying them on before I took them out dancing, then I could hav exchanged them! Most of their styles are far too conservative for me. I like a little spice in my shoe! But a couple have a good "classic" look without looking TOO grannyish.

20. jfm

jfm Active Member

loook i got some new shoes! I followed your sizing advice and they are exactly right! I love these babies:

260607_0942~00.jpg