Tango Argentino > What should tango vals look and feel like?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by bordertangoman, Sep 29, 2010.

1. v22TTC

v22TTC New Member

I think that that's what BTM was saying himself: that he's observing folk dancing Vals as if it were Tango but just with a different rhythm, where it shouldn't be.

Though, as you say, it isn't particularly correct, 'Tango Vals' is an extremely commonly used phrase... though 'Vals Argentino' is better, I've never heard anybody say it - is that what you tend to call it in Germany?

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Ah, but it is played with a "tango sensibility" and with the same instruments as a tango group or orchestra.
    I'd say this is similar to, and as dificult for non musicians (including me) to discuss in the same way that "swing" is difficult to put into words.
    Although I've made some headway in understanding characteristics of swing music, I've haven't reached that point with AT.
    Most people, though, would be able to heard the difference between "ballroom" waltz music with it's strict, or "lockstep" rhythm and phrasing, and Argentine val music.

(popular American country western music went from "swing" to "lock step" as the swing era ended)

3. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Oh I do agree with you.
    If only people waltzed to the Vals and moved!

So many seem to have no idea of what they're missing.

But then lots of people do their tango (their tango not being my tango)
    to the Milonga seemingly oblivious that the music is not tango.

It would indeed be quick, too quick. And I certainly wouldn't be trying
    to dance on every beat, even syncopations (beats 1 and 2 or 1 and 1,3)
    might be very challenging.

In fact 230bpm seems extreme. Very sadly I've been briefly beat counting
    and Vals seems to range from a slow 160bpm (54 bars/min) to around and
    a little above the 210bpm (70 bars/min) mark. I'd be quite happy hitting
    every beat at 60 bars per minute (180bpm) and maybe even a little quicker
    with the right partner. When I'm dancing I'm not counting so cannot be sure
    and it depends on whether I think my partner is going to be comfortable
    and enjoy it. You can tell by the end of the first dance.

Incidentally my ballroom book quotes the Viennese tempo as 60 bars per minute,
    with latitude for amateur tests ranging between 50 and 60 bars per minute.
    Victor Sylvester (another book) says the Viennese can be danced to any waltz
    played between 44 and 64 bars per minute.

4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

The majority just calls it vals, a minority tango vals, or vals cruzado, and I am going to spread the word vals argentino:

Already 74 hits on YT for vals argentino, and 9.990 at Google. But, that´s not my achievement.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

like this?

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RfOM8pxafzg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RfOM8pxafzg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

6. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Ok, you've got me Steve.
    What is lockstep rhythm?

7. opendoor

8. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

That's correct. 60 bars (measures) x 3 beats/measure is 180 beats/minute. As I understand the acronym, BPM is beats per minute.

9. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same.

10. v22TTC

v22TTC New Member

Consider me a convert.:)

11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Sorry. I probably shouldn't have thrown that term in there.

It is a term that was used in one of the many books I've been looking at that refers to the variable, rather than strictly on the beat each and every beat, timing the is characteristic of swing.

I like to be able to supply a reference for things I write, but right now this one eludes me.
    While at lunch I dredged up "arrasta" from my tango subconscious as an example of where the musicians vary the playing of notes, thus facilitating the dancers doing the same. Not sure if this is exactly what I am talking about, though.

12. bordertangoman

trying again and sticking with tango vals

13. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

You can't be being serious. It's skilful of course. But . . .
    How can this be any sort of example of Vals for social dancing?

14. bordertangoman

Yes I am serious if tango dancers had a tenth of the feel of these circular musical movements then they would be dancing vals... as it is...as I said in my original post....

the equivalent of "it dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing."

15. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

By default, yes, I believe that's the convention. Although other beats can be used also.

Ghost has written a Tango Vals introduction, from there, there's a couple of examples of videos from Detlef and Melina. It's interesting that in one of those examples, there's an emphasis on rotation, but in the other, the emphasis is on timing changes.

So I'm not sure I'd call a Vals inherently rotation-based. But I don't know enough about it to have a strong opinion.

16. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that's the way I'd dance the vals if the milonga wasn't very crowded (and I had the talent to do it).

;)

17. bordertangoman

I think rotation conveys the feeling of the music better; if one looks at a waltz
    two variations; Michael and Beatrice
    slow
    [yt]WeXD2pr-jZw[/yt]

This is in contrast to the other video showing smooth dance , where the action is on the upper body, here the action is mostly in the feet.
    [yt]ypgmR5NVG7g[/yt]

18. opendoor

.. btm, I don´t think that the circular flow only is important. The rhythmical interpretation is as vital. I mean that stepping on every quarter note, but not in the vw manner, I mean something that goes into the 6/8 signature direction of the vals criollo.

But, uncontradicted: the tango lesson choreo is really nice: the stepping varies, sometimes P. takes only 2 steps per measure, than passages follow with the accent on the first, on the second, or on the third beat: as short as it is 0:40-0:50 is a real treasure. And so complex. Once I watched it perhaps 100 times to figure out the alteraciónes, escapadas, and rebotes!

[YT]5HwJWagV6Go[/YT]

19. bordertangoman

only 100 times! its not enough!

20. opendoor

right !