Tango Argentino > What should tango vals look and feel like?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by bordertangoman, Sep 29, 2010.

1. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

For feel, timing, movement & rotation we're not on opposite sides here.

But I don't see what you've added by posting an obvious demonstration/show
    Vals which cannot be (should not even space permitting despite what dchester posted)
    danced on a milonga floor.

2. mshedgehog

mshedgehog New Member

I don't know that I have an opinion about how vals 'should' be danced, but I very much like this one, which is a bit different from any posted so far. That doesn't mean I don't like others, but I find the particular choice of steps just beautiful.

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

My god, that was beautiful.

I see almost nothing there that can't be used on a milonga floor. Yes, the movements would (possibly, depending on the crowdedness of the venue) need to be toned down a bit. But they didn't have to think about that because they had the floor to themselves, and there's nothing wrong with using the space that you've got when you've got it. Keep the feet on the floor a bit more, shrink the movements to fit, and follow LOD and you've got a gorgeous social milonga. If only more people had that sort of musicality.

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Thank you ; at the Tango Feast milonga this weekend; there was a vals tanda and everyone was moving around the room at the same speed; it was quite wonderful to be part of.
    And I got complimented on my turns and musicality.

5. Peaches

I was actually thinking about this thread yesterday. I was at a piano recital, and two of the pieces played were waltzes. The performer introduced them by talking about how the pieces display just an overwhelming joy at the feeling of movement and motion and energy. Seems apt for AT vals, as well.

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

here's another; perfectly reasonable milonga steps

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Re: vals vientino

Sought for a historic vid, only found argentine actors dancing to Desde el Alma from the movie Pobre mi madre querida (1948 ).

Does it really look like argentine vals as we think of it today? It´s more kind of that country waltz I know from rural dance balls and marksmen's festivals in Germany.

[YT]R7CBv057Kb0[/YT]​

8. plugger

plugger Member

Ant wrote: "I think you would nearly always dance on the 1 beat. I regularly come across dancing on the 1,2 or 1,3 or 1,2,3. I have not come across dancing on the 2 or 3 or 2,3 before but I suppose that is possible."

My experience is limited, but these are also nice vals rhythms (using a count of 6 instead of 3):

1-5,6
    1-3,4
    1-4,5.

9. chanchan

chanchan Member

I watched both videos, but I still don't understand what are those supposed "vals steps". Apart from steps in 1:55, that are clearly inspired by viennese waltz, the rest are all tango steps in a 3/4 rythm.

10. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

This also vals I like :cool:

11. rougerpatrick

rougerpatrick New Member

Alberto Dassieu

Here is a vals by its current reigning king (IMHO), not mentioned yet:

youtube . com/watch?v=orgGazxNz64

Energetic circular flow, very musical, very simple.

12. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

This one?

13. rougerpatrick

rougerpatrick New Member

Yes, thanks.. the forum doesn't allow me to embed/link.

14. Peaches

My god. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing that. :)

I loved his interpretation of the music. I did not care for her way of stepping/moving. I like that for embellishments, but I didn't like it all the time. Which isn't to knock her down. I would love to dance that beautifully and that effortlessly. It just is not to my taste.

15. Peaches

16. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I think the wiggle is much more appropriate for tango than vals.

[​IMG]

17. That's some seriously awesome dancing.

18. Mosca Negra

Mosca Negra New Member

My only wish is that those who do not understand Argentine Tango waltz would leave the floor, or at the very least move to the center of the floor when a waltz tanda is played.

There is no better feeling than a competently led Argentine Tango waltz on a moving floor. Conversely I am moved to tears when I am force led through a static series of poorly executed show moves learned by some leader at his last group class during a lovely waltz.

19. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

No argument there.

:cheers:

20. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

For whatever reason I feel better dancing in 3 than 4. It just makes me feel lighter and more relaxed. Anyone else feel like that?