Tango Argentino > What song did you learn with

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Cats, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Cats

Cats New Member

All throughout my beginners series it was Carlos Di Sarli Bahia Blanca. Now I have to dance to it every time I hear it.

2. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

My first teacher mainly used "la cumparsita".
    I think I've never danced on it though, as it is never played in our milongas.

3. Danoo

Danoo New Member

erm

we use this counting 1 (dunno what its called)
    and Rudy B : Lovely Day

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Danoo we are taking about Argentine tango, not salsa. :p

5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

In A.T, students soon know and recognize a couple of songs (e.g. La Cumparsita, Libertango, El Choclo).
    Is it the same in Salsa? Do you have arch-famous classics?

6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Yeah, like Micaela by Sonora Carruseles. That's a real hardcore song to dance to for beginners, though, I think! (It makes ME go wild!)

7. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I was also going to suggest Micaela -- which proves the point! :lol: It may be a boogaloo rather than a salsa, but you hear it wherever you salsa.

8. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

9. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I knew these songs before I started AT, but so far I haven't heard any of them either in classes or at milongas... Perhaps they are thought "a bit too classic I'm sick of it" sort of songs by tango dancers? :?

10. bordertangoman

Libertango is too fast for dancing, El choclo is played occasionally and likewise La Cumparista, but maybe people are bored by them??

11. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Ballroom cha-cha: if I hear Celia Cruz sing "Guantanamera" I'm going to scream.

Libertango.... there is a ballroom version which is strict tempo at 32 measures per minute, so it's danceable. The version that YoYo Ma plays from "The Tango Lesson" is quite a bit faster. La Cumparsita, standard ballroom tango piece... kinda like "In the Mood" for swing.

One day I'll find out what some of those ArT pieces are.

12. bordertangoman

Grace Jones' version of Libertango I have danced to.... that's slower than Yo Yo Ma. I have aslo heard versions of La Cumparista speeded up to a brisk march. Danny whassisname has recordings like that, but dunno what the tempo is. 32 bpm seems slow; the tango is supposed to be at heartbeat or walking pace which would be around 60 bpm.

13. Danoo

Danoo New Member

well u know my salsa learning songs now anyway :p

14. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

All the standards (La Cumparsita, Libertango etc) get my tango toes moovin' and groovin', Cats but the funny thing is that most of the songs I learned to I don't know, or at least didn't at the time.

My teacher has a collection of zillions of CDs and he'd rotate them, so every so often something similar would come up, but it was a while before I could stop worrying about how my feet would move and listen to the music!

As for salsa, yeah, who doesn't know Micaela. Mind you, it remains one of my favourites to dance to, especially with a really good lead. Because you know the music so well, you can go mad with your dancing and improvisation.