Tango Argentino > What song(s) do you feel you dance your best to?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by TomTango, Oct 20, 2015.

1. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

Yes, I know, it depends on the dance partner, the time of night, what mood you're in, and the phase of the moon.

But...

All of those things being equal, what songs would you choose if you wanted to dance your best/most fulfilled dance? Could be a single song, a genre, an orchestra/singer pairing, even an alt song!

If you still think you can't choose, here's an alternate question: someone polled all of the leads/follows in your community and asked them if they could choose a song to dance with you, which one would it be. You win $1000 if your guess matches theirs. What's your guess?

Does the song you dance best to differ from the ones you like the most?

2. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

It is not a single song for me but a few DJs. It is their skill to build and combine tandas with rest and energy periods keeping me on the floor. This has a clear positive impact on my dancing.

During the August encuentro in town we had several of them who skillfully kept me dancing long hours. The last milonga on Sunday, a late afternoon milonga, was especially memorable when Francisco Saura had to give us the energy to dance the last hours. I danced 5 of 5.5 hours at the venue.

3. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Arrabalera by F. Canaro

It used to be my favourite, I know the song by heart.

4. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Don't know if I dance my best, but those I feel the best when dancing to, & get the most exuberant compliments from my partners from, are tangos with lyrics that strike a chord within me, or have the kind of evocative poetry that paints a clear picture that resonates with me. I get immersed in the moment & the music feels like it's part of and coming out of us. Some examples that come immediately to mind are "Y todavia te quiero", "Nido gaucho", "Mandria". There are many more.

YesI think I dance best to vals.

5. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Since I don't have a regular partner, I tend to choose partners by orchestras and genres.

And it's impossible to not link the partners and songs/orchestras.

6. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

This was a harder question than it first appeared. In the end, I'll go with songs by Pedro Laurenz. Here is one I really like, but there are quite a few.

7. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

Hard question man, it really depends on who I'm dancing with. Some of my favorite songs off the top of my head to dance to are:
    D'Arienzo: El Olivo, El Tigre Millan, Paciencia, La Bruja
    Di Sarli: Como los nardos en flor, Indio Manso
    Hector Varela - Fueron Tres Anos
    Calo - Marion, Nada, Portenismo
    D'Agostino - Cafe Dominguez, Tres Esquinas
    Troilo - El bulin de la calle Ayacucho

Vals - My favorite vals are from Biagi (viejo porton and dichas que vivi). D'Arienzo has some nice ones that I like (Pasion, orillas del plata). Oh and Palomita Blanca (Hector Varela version)
    Milonga -

8. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

9. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

I know what you mean! I used to have "off" dancing nights and thought it was always me, but now I recognize a lot of the time it's the DJ.

I agree, such a good song. Canaro milongas are just the best, but this is one of the tops.

I'd really like to learn Spanish, so I could have the same reaction to the lyrics. Though, the emotion in the singers voice does a pretty good job at getting to me.

I'm with you, I think I dance best to the slow, earthy rhythmic tangos, like Canaro/Maida. Maybe Yo Tambien Sone. Donato's El Adios probably wins out with a slim margin though.

Biagi Vals are hands-down the best for me too, with Lagrimas y Sonrisas being my favorite. I've never heard some of the tangos you mentioned though, like Como Los Nardos en Flor and Portenismo. I'll have to check them out.

10. katerina

katerina New Member

Amor y primavera, vals Canaro <3