Tango Argentino > What steps should never be taught?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Inspired by this:
    My simplistic view is that there should be no "forbidden" steps.

Some movements are more important than others, sure. For a leader, learning to walk forwards is more important than learning to perform a perfect back sacada.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't learn how to do back sacadas - they're a good exercise in dissociation for the leader, and they help teach the follower to ignore the leader's weird leg movements.

So I can't think of any AT movements which should never be taught - can anyone else?

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

... the first one !

back to topic, now. There is a great discrepancy between tango as a folk(lore) dance and tango as an art form. And this discrepancy always causes misunderstanding but it also is sooo enriching.

3. LittleLight

LittleLight New Member

I agree with OP: No forbidden steps.

BUT the teacher gives the The Lecture on when to do them and when NOT to them.

I'm sure you do this, but not all teachers do. As long as that is done, if people want to do ganchos or mad high voleos or whatnot in their living rooms or show off on a stage or just have a giggle, and the teacher is willing and able to teach 'm, who cares? But the teacher is to make sure they don't inflict this stuff either on the people behind them on a crowded dancefloor or on unwilling followers.

4. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

A local teacher, running their own group, trying to build the community the way they prefer it, should teach whatever they think is appropriate for their own goals.

A visiting teacher should teacher whatever is asked by the sponsor of the class/workshop. They should also give appropriate advice about how the steps should be used on the social dance floor.

5. Nathan

Nathan Member

I think the question is not what has merit and what doesn't — you can justify almost anything if you're willing to ignore the negative aspects and focus on the positive — but rather which movements are conducive to a pleasant dancing experience for everyone involved (including those in the immediate vicinity on the floor).

Yes, there are a few beneficial side-effects of practicing back sacadas, but teaching them in classes is the same as promoting their use at milongas, and performing them in a social context has far more drawbacks than advantages. My opinion is that any movement that's shunned on the social floor should never be taught in a class. If a person wants to learn how to do something like that badly enough, they are free to take private lessons on the subject, during which the instructor can teach them how to do it thoroughly and properly (and emphasize that it shouldn't be used at a milonga).

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

No forbidden steps; everything should be taught. Discretion can be talked about and advised (and should be!), but like everything else, if someone doesn't have the common sense not to do them in an inappropriate environment to begin with, there is little chance that they will listen to the advice of a teacher. Stupidity and lack of common sense and respect for others is a constant in life.

All steps have their own inherent trickiness to them. Learning a variety develops a variety of skills, all of which help the technique to other steps.

7. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

My friend experience stabbing someone's elbow in the back while he was dancing in BsAs.
    Should be teach that in the class?

It difficult to build community.
    My teachers have been trying for 4 yrs to form a group in a million peasants city.

Some steps are intermediate steps in learning concepts.

I learned some inline boleo and gancho that could be appropriate for the social floor.

Some form of light volcada and colgada could be also appropriate.
    I would use it just to form a feeling, nothing dangerous.

8. Shaka

Shaka New Member

I've learnt my most impressive moves by watching videos and whenever I have enough space, I don't hesitate to perform such moves, even with beginners (who usually manage quite well, thanks to my way of leading ;)). Now more and more people try to copy me :? (I don't like being copied though I copy myself lol). I think you should be free to make the move you want as long as you don't crash into others.

9. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

All steps should be taught. Everyone just needs to learn the foundation skill of using the space they have.

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Should I bother to answer a patently ridiculous question?

Seriously. Stabbing someone's elbow--I'm guessing it was a mistake, and accident, an example of poor floorcraft and execution. (The worst I ever got kicked was in Bs.As., as well.) That's not a step. Obviously.

11. Shaka

Shaka New Member

Haha, not yet. I think it will become one of the most common moves in karate tango lol.

12. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

If you teach a step in class, you can teach when it is and isn't appropriate to lead it and how to keep both partners and the dancers around them safe. If people learn that step from a video because it's never taught in class, they may not get that extra instruction on floorcraft, and they probably won't learn how to lead it properly.

Some people are actually intelligent and thoughtful enough to figure out when it's OK to do certain moves, and when it's not. Some people are either clueless or thoughtless and are going to do what they're going to do anyway.

13. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

I agree no moves should be excluded. How I dance in a milonga depends on what music is being played and how crowded the floor is. For example, I will dance differently to Indio Manso (one of my favourites) in a crowd than I will with more space. I enjoy close embrace and nuevo...sometimes even during the same song. For partners I know, I respect their preferences and do my best to dance in the style they prefer.

Doesn't it simply come down to respecting other couples on the floor, and your partner? (As others have said).

14. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Being Devil's Advocate here, however, the problem with the lecture is that people don't listen - especially the people who are likely to abuse the movements.

In other words, something like this happens...

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't give The Lecture, it just means that it may not be effective by itself.

I'm not sure how best to get around this problem, however. I guess it's a wider question of how to install good practice on the dance floor.

15. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

^ Good.

16. Asim

Asim New Member

If milongas are anything to go by, it would seem that two steps are commonly taught and one could wish they weren't: the sliding tackle and the drop kick.

17. jantango

jantango Active Member

If you teach it, they will do it.
    Novice dancers want to learn how to do ganchos. Egos want to show off and impress others.
    They see ganchos on stage all the time, so why not?

The tango isn't about the steps.
    It's a feeling that you dance.

18. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Then why focus on so many rules aside from basic floorcraft?

19. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

The basic 8 should never be taught ... lol ...

20. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

:cheers: