Ballroom Dance > What the ???

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by CaliChris10, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaliChris10

CaliChris10 Active Member

Does anyone on this forum dance socially to music they don't like? I am on a member of a different dance forum and for the first time in my life I learned that there are people dancing to music they don't like. It is pure craziness to me. Obviously if you are a professional dancer there are times you will not like the music but to choose to dance to music you don't like/feel is beyond me.

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

We don't have a choice socially what music to dance to. If I hate the waltz "Jean", but the dj plays it, I am going to dance to it.

IndyLady likes this.
  3. CaliChris10

Interesting..I would never dance to a song I hate.

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Meh. Some socials play such craptastic music overall that if you sat out every song you didn't like, you might not dance at all.

I think bad comp music is worse than bad social music.

5. CaliChris10

I guess its different in ballroom dances..The context on the other forum was salsa and latin rhythms. For me one must really connect with, understand and feel the music in order to dance it very well. Maybe this discussion does not apply here..sorry..

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Sometimes I'll sit out a song I really dislike. However, that might depend on why I dislike it -- because I just don't like the song vs. because it's a poor song to dance to.

IndyLady likes this.
  7. CaliChris10

yeah its not only singular songs, I'm talkin a whole genre of music. It would be like going to a R&B club to dance but you don't like R&B. There are people who dance salsa but don't like salsa music...

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

In ballroom that's not much of problem because the venue will generally play music from a mix of different genres over the course of the evening. Another observation: I noted back in the disco days that sometimes music can be not much fun to listen to but passable for dancing. A lot of electronica wouldn't exist if this weren't true. :D I first noticed it back in the disco days -- if I had the radio on in the car and a disco song came on, I'd change the station, but if I was in a dance club and they played disco, it was usually okay.

CaliChris10 likes this.
  9. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of the conversation. If you don't like something, don't do it- nobody's going to beat you into dancing it. For me, if I can dance to it, I will, and show preference to the music I enjoy.

10. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF CaliChris10, don't apologize, this forum is for discussion and throwing things out there is what drives discussion right? Now, as for me, if your talking the genre of music,,,yes, socially, there is genre I try to avoid, however, socially there may be activities/events - i.e., a wedding, a huge big something something, where that genre is played,,,but it's not my call and I accept that and if asked to dance I will, because it would be rude if I didn't. Would I voluntarily go out on the town, per se, and find this genre....socially...no. To each his/her own. That said, dancing ballroom, and my other backgrounds growing up, I'm quite happy if a social dance scene anywhere plays a good mix of music not just one genre.

11. CaliChris10

Thanks for the welcome ;)
    Totally agree if is a social gathering I will usually dance to what ever is playing if asked so not to be rude...but the thing that perplexed me was the people dancing salsa and not liking the music. Salsa is the music :) We dance for the music! I was just curious what others thought about this. Thanks for discussing it ;)

12. CaliChris10

I was simply trying to get the opinions of other dancers on the idea of people dancing to music they don't like. Wasn't trying to "get" anything but opinions.

13. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

A wise person once said that if you depend on liking the music to dance well, you're gonna have a bad time...

SwayWithMe, 3wishes and IndyLady like this.
  14. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Well, the "It is pure craziness to me" and dancing to music you don't like "is beyond me" statements probably made some people think you were looking for someone to pipe up and defend the "dancing to music you don't like" position so you could give them a good smackdown.

Folks might have responded differently if your question had not seemed so loaded upfront.

Hedwaite likes this.
  15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

On the other hand, if I really like a song that's playing, it's adds a certain something to the dance.

16. CaliChris10

I was just being honest. It is really the first time I have heard this and I was genuinely curious to hear the opinions of others outside of the genre. I do think its crazy to go out dancing to music you don't like. How could it possibly be enjoyable?
    I don't think my question was loaded at all...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  17. CaliChris10

Definitely! Sometimes I get stuck dancing to a song I don't like and I try my best to get through it for my partners sake but it is a totally different feeling than when I dance to music I feel and that moves me literally ;) Love when I get goose bumps while dancing! Its all about the music ;)

18. IndyLady

Genuinely curious, but already made up your mind that certain opinions/actions were crazy...

Hedwaite and mindputtee like this.
  19. IndyLady

I seem to dance best to songs that I like but don't love.

- Don't like song - sucks the soul out of me like Superman next to Krytonite, hope I can make it to the end.
    - Like - yay!
    - Love - omg adrenaline rush I LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE this song CANNOT CONTROL MYSELF!!! Seriously, I do sometimes have a hard time maintaining control to a song I absolutely love. I've gotten better over the years but still have to quash the instinct to go nuts.

chachachacat, Purr and j_alexandra like this.
  20. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

You might not think so, but clearly others did. It's the language you chose...so if someone answering does dance to music they don't enjoy, they are going to feel defensive because you've already attacked them.

In any case, one reason I don't dance salsa is because I don't care for the music. The dance is pretty fun, although there are certain characteristics of it I definitely do not enjoy, but I'll do one at a ballroom dance and have enough of it for a while. Other ballroom music I'm not generally that wild about. It's...fine. If it's a good song for dancing to, great, but I never listen to ballroom music when I'm not dancing. If it's a song I really love, I definitely dance better to it. I will generally not dance to a song I hate, but I also try not to turn down invitations so sometimes I do anyway.

I greatly enjoy swing music (LH and WCS) and I enjoy tango but again would not listen to it unless I'm dancing. I've known people who came to AT because they love the dance itself but hate the music. Often, it grows on them, or they find they like nuevo better than traditional and that gets them dancing.

Dancing isn't *all* about the music. It's also about the dance and the connection with your partner.

IndyLady likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.