Salsa > What the?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by CaliChris10, Apr 1, 2015.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Chris. Cali style is about as useful as an extra thumb ( unless you live in Colombia, which you don't ! ) . The chances of finding a lead/follow who know the style, are few if non existant.

I lived in a major metro city, among many others ( states-side ) with a vast latino population, including large dance numbers from Colombia . Not once, in all my many years, did I ever see it danced socially .

Its the same problem, unfortunately, with Son, which I believe deserves more exposure than most of the sub salsa genres/styles.

To make it clear, I'm not against anyone adding to their dance repertoire , on the contrary, mine is expansive . Having said that, my choices of use for 90%, are slim to nil !

2. CaliChris10

CaliChris10 Active Member

Yeah I know all about cali style(love it) just haven't danced it yet...yet being the operative word ;)

3. CaliChris10

True, but its always fun to try/learn new things!

4. tangotime

Absolutely, and , more importantly for the ladies, they never know when an opportunity may arise, to put their experiences to work, on past learned experiences .

Mr 4 styles and CaliChris10 like this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Cali chris coulllddddd be originally from Cali colombia... tho i suspect california is more likely lol

CaliChris10 likes this.
  6. tangotime

Calif. is correct...

CaliChris10 likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

lol i knew that :cool:

CaliChris10 likes this.
  8. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

I personally don't really get it either. Dance should stem from enjoyment of the music.

CaliChris10 likes this.
  9. CaliChris10

Hey! I know right?! I will never get it. I equated it to someone surfing but not liking water. Its just weird to me. You would not believe how many people were saying that they dance to music they don't like. I was pretty shocked. I understand trying something new for whatever reason, but if after awhile the music doesn't grow on you, try another dance. In all honesty I don't want to dance salsa with someone who doesn't like the music.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

no...it is really more like surfing, for three minutes, on a board you don't like......as opposed to not surfing at all

11. CaliChris10

lol...that analogy works if you are at a social or club that plays a variety of music...not hours of the same genre of music, every night. Imagine dancing to a song you don't like the Entire night, every time you went dancing.

12. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Please don't play Aguanile. I will not dance to it, even though I absolutely love the song and have been known to move away from people whenever I'm listening to it because I need to belt from the depths of my soul.

The other thing I generally dislike is pop songs turned into salsa. No Romeo, I don't want a chance.

Jag75 and CaliChris10 like this.
  13. CaliChris10

:) Passion for the music, YES!!!
    I don't like those pop salsas either...wont dance to them.

14. Mr 4 styles

Most dancers are too slow for aguanile anyways.

15. CaliChris10

true

16. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

Aguanile is great to listen to, but imho simply too fast to dance to. I can keep up with the song, but it feels way too rushed...

I also know of quite a few ppl who dance salsa regularly but aren't into the music. As a consequence their dancing looks more mechanical and is much more disconnected from the music. Not sure what the point is of pursuing a dance if you're already limiting your potential as a dancer. Although I get the feeling most don't even care.

One thing is for certain - they'll never enjoy the dance like I do and will never truly "get it" - what it's like to really syncretise with and be part of the music.

ajiboyet and CaliChris10 like this.
  17. CaliChris10

A-fricken-MEN!!!! I 100% share this opinion! They will never truly get it..but try telling them that.

I remember one dance to aguanile that was so crazy I thought I was going to puke after:p and I'm in really good shape;)

18. fascination

meh, you can't really know what someone else does or doesn't understand or will or won't ever understand...you can only make a judgement....and that can do likewise regarding you

19. CaliChris10

Salsa is different than ballroom...the music is the reason we dance. If you don't like it, don't understand it and don't feel it you will never truly get it.

Nuyorican likes this.
  20. fascination

it isn't different than ballroom in that sense....and my point remains that YOU can't know what I get or will never get any more than I can truly know what you get or don't get in ANY venue....nor can you universally state the reason why all dancers of any genre dance...it would be nice if the world was that absolute and people were that omniscient, but they aren't....shrug....it doesn't lessen the merits of your perspective, but they aren't universal