Salsa > What the?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by CaliChris10, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Last comment. Improvisational has a more exact meaning ( how odd is that) in the dance world think contact improvisation in modern so I prefer in partner dancing. Lead and follow vs choreography dancing

2. CaliChris10

CaliChris10 Active Member

If you are a seasoned salsa dancer improv is a huge element in your dance. We create moves in the moment on the dance floor, sometimes never again can they be repeated. It is a fantastic feeling. So improv is most definitely a huge part of salsa.
    As for the vid of Terry, if the girl had known how to dance on her own she could have connected with him in a different way. Anyway I did not post that vid for partner work it was to show his connection with the music. But I have a feeling I could post 100 videos and the naysayers would still not see it...oh well...

Angel HI and Jag75 like this.
  3. CaliChris10

I disagree...I am musically inclined, even play percussion...but if there is a song that I don't like I have no desire to dance it or be musical to it. What is the point?!

Angel HI likes this.
  4. CaliChris10

Then they need to learn to be in the moment and not just regurgitate moves or ladies styling that they have learned in classes! Salsa is much more than steps you have learned..I would have had no problem in that situation...I would have been perfectly content expressing myself while he was expressing himself..You can still be connected with out being physically connected.

IndyLady likes this.
  5. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

In all fairness, I did not state that though my question may have inadvertently implied it, because it did seem to me that the ladies were having less fun and spending much of their time keeping an eye on the man.

Although I think Cali may have already answered it, my follow-up qstn was going to be, is it acceptable for the lady to break out in shine like that too, or is that mostly or strictly a guy thing and not as approved for a lady? Sounds like it's equal opportunity though.

And the reason I brought up the partnering aspect.... I have no trouble understanding the concept of feeling the music and solo-ing to it - I'm not going to swear that I have not done that myself a couple times in the last month - I'm just pointing out that it's harder to balance musical expression and lead/follow than to just have musical expression when you're grooving on your own (even if your partner is three feet away).

6. CaliChris10

You can see the love of the music on his face...I believe if you asked any top salsa dancer if they love salsa music the answer would be Hell Yes!

7. Mr 4 styles

Now that is a great example of a beautiful blend of shines interpretive movement and and partnering skills . She remained engaged throughout and was having a blast.as a leader that's our main responsibility. Salsa is the only music I can go dancing to for three or four or six hours at a congress and never get tired of it and that was a great song too. Great example of how we would all like it to be in our social dancing

CaliChris10 and IndyLady like this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

And I have seen the same epic love of music and movement in pure choreography dancing as well. Off topic again lol

j_alexandra and CaliChris10 like this.
  9. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

tbh, I wasn't watching him... Let's pretend that was me in the white jacket.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  10. CaliChris10

Sure, that is kinda my whole point..it makes a difference when you love the music. You can see it, feel it. Of course you can fake it but why do that when the real thing is so much better! ;)

Nuyorican and Mr 4 styles like this.
  11. Mr 4 styles

She was hot Um err now that you brought it up. And she was blonde.. hmm kinda like cali ' s pic. Ponder ponder

12. Mr 4 styles

To summarize my view on the main topic. In a big salsa venue with a great band or dj, loads of skilled followers ( the mrs included) I'll pick and choose the songs I like. But if josie neglia asks me to dance, the song could be crap and I'll still say yes. And have fun.

CaliChris10 and IndyLady like this.
  13. CaliChris10

lol I was just asking myself that question...except my asker was Maykel Fonts ;) I am still debating it with myself.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  14. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Yep.. there are plenty of those in the world of salsa.. but.. the onlookers seem to enjoy the experience. Kinda not much different, when a top Prof dances socially .

j_alexandra likes this.
  15. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. Because life isn't always about my feelings or doing what I want to do.

j_alexandra, Hedwaite, Loki and 4 others like this.
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

word

Rhythmdancer likes this.
  17. Nuyorican

Nuyorican New Member

Chris – I understand where you are coming from. I had the same reaction when this topic came up on the sister site (salsa forums) because for me; the thought of learning to dance to music I don’t like is a foreign concept. I personally don’t like Bachata (I find it to be whiny teenage music). I can dance to it but when the DJ plays it, for me it’s time to rest or get some water. I was born in PR but grew up in Brooklyn NY in the 70’s. This music is a big part of our culture. We hear this music from the time we are in our mother’s womb. During the holidays my uncles would pull out congas, bongos, and guiros while my grandmother would tap out the clave on a pot using the big spoon for rice while my grandfather sang and everyone danced.

In a way, it was an escape from their struggles in the day to day.

So for us, it was about dancing to this music that gives us great joy. I can come home from a long rough day at work; put on some Baretto or Lavoe and dance with my wife or alone (I prefer alone) and I just feel better about my day. For me, there is nothing like stepping to the Tumbao of the conga to get my blood boiling. It’s almost spiritual. But for others, it not the same; even within my own family. My brother doesn’t listen to Salsa. Grew up with it like I did but just not interested. Whereas I only listen to Salsa.

I have recently started taking salsa dance classes and met a lot of great people from all walks of life and cultures. A lot of them don’t particularly care for the music. They have different reasons for learning. For some this is just a hobby. For others it looked like fun and they wanted to try it. And there are some who are learning in the hopes of finding a significant other or just get laid. I don’t knock any of it. It’s all good. But it was the dance that brought them to this, not the music. I have come to the realization that this dance world that I have recently joined is just a different culture. That’s all.

All we have in common is the music that is played (sometimes not even that…my grandmother would smack me upside the head with her big spoon if I tried to play pop salsa at one of our get togethers :).

Oh, and I agree with you 100%. You can’t dislike this music and dance “con sabor” My brother is a perfect example. Great school trained technical dancer but doesn’t listen to the music.

A mechanical PR born dancer.

18. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

This is good salsa on so many levels. Practically answers 'all' of the questions here.

CaliChris10 likes this.
  19. CaliChris10

:) Yeah I guess it is a different culture...I also grew up with the music and the culture.

Never occurred to me to dance to music I didn't like. I stated this here and on the other forum and caught all kinds of slack! Don't get it and never will.
    And yes no way can you dance with sabor if you don't like the music! The music is where its at ;)

20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you caught slack. You simply encountered people who answered your question with a different opinion than you were expecting.

IndyLady and raindance like this.